Favorite Beaches: Marazion
Style: Bebinner
Gear: Ozone
Brand Affiliation: Ozone
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Slingshot RPM vs Ozone C4, 2012?

Postby Jdizzle » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:04 pm

Does anybody have experience with both of these kites and can make direct comparisons? I'm interested in which one has more pop and slack for unhooked tricks? Also, which one boosts bigger? I do own a 2010 C4 but have never tried the RPM...

twcdouglas
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Poole, Sandbanks, Branksome Dean
Favorite Beaches: Valdevaqueros (Tarifa Spain)
Portland (UK)
Branksome Dean (UK)
Wissant (France)
Sandbanks (UK)
Heaven Beach (Spain)
Playa Del Sol Vilicana (Spain)
Style: Freestyle/wake
Gear: Slingshot RPM 2011 8/10/12m
Cabrinha Caliber 2010 board
Cabrinha sync 2010 bindings
Mystic Warrior harness
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Slingshot RPM vs Ozone C4, 2012?

Postby twcdouglas » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:34 pm

The RPM and Ozone both boost big. I found the RPM gives more natural float on the downward leg of jumps without any input form the rider which has an awesome feel. The unhooking on the RPM does not give as much slack as the C4 but I find this is quite handy in powering the end of rotations...it helps to have that extra little bit of resistance to make sure you are in the correct position for landing. However, this does mean that you go into your landings a lot hotter.

I bought the RPMs as loved them and have always been a Slingy fan. I have a few friends who love the C4 though. Both are very good kites. I have not played around with the settings on the RPM yet so I don't know whether this will make a difference with the unhooking pull.

boyceduke
Medium Poster
Local Beach: cambersands
Favorite Beaches: el gouna, egypt
Style: freeride/freestyle
Gear: all sorts

Postby boyceduke » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:05 pm

completely agree with last comment, i have owned both... currently have slingshot rpm 2012, these are the nuts.... the bottom end on the RPM is better aswel. more grunt. cant go wrong with either though :jump:

Jdizzle
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Marazion and Gwithian

Postby Jdizzle » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:39 am

Thanks guys, I'm really drawn to the RPM...especially as its cheaper size for size compared to the C4! I'm a big fan of the bomber construction on Slingy kites too, Ozone kites are very well made but are extremely light weight in comparison.

Have you guys had any issues with the trailing edges of your RPM's? I heard they are prone to damage easily due to flapping?

Although Ozone kites are light weight, I must say that I am yet to have a single issue or repair with one in over 3 years, which would make it tough to cross over to another brand!!!

alexeyga
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 200
Favorite Beaches: Ocean shore!
Style: Freeride dongling
Gear: Eleveight / Shinn / North / Axis / Slingshot / Airush

Postby alexeyga » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:22 am

Perhaps you should try the 2011 and 2012 C4-s, they are more grunty and more re-fined in comparaison to the original 2010-ones. Not that I don't like the RPM, but I prefer by far the smoothness of C4. :thumb:

speedyRider
Frequent Poster

Postby speedyRider » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:11 am

nothing wrong with C4 but i tested both and ended up with rpm it suited me better, loving it.
Unhooking is great, hangtime is excellent and easy of use in general conditions, its a plug and play kite for me at least. It can be adjusted with 8 settings to suit speed and bar pressure to your like.
Its slow for its size in the smaller sizes like 9 and 7m which i like as kite stays stable when unhooking, kiteloop is good not as radical as lets say fuel but good.

After some months i can say my trailing edge is good, not any worse compared to my previous kite (vegas 2011). I take care of not leave it flapping at the beach, my kite only goes out to ride and goes in after riding. For the shape this kite takes more beating than others when sitting on the beach so even if its not a good idea to leave any kite flapping this one suffers more. If you take care is all ok :)

tolvsbo
Medium Poster
Local Beach: where ther's wind
Gear: naish and nobile

Postby tolvsbo » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:46 am

Had RPM for two years, fantastic kites. Probably some of the friendliest on the market and most versatile covering everything from surf to wake style. Did however switch as I find them lacking the turning speed and excitement of more C/hybrid type kites.

Tried the C4 when I switched from RPM' s and found them also to be a versatile, considerably quicker, but less grunty kite with a super light bar pressure. Could easaliy have lived with it and been happy. (ugliest graphics around though :D )

As when it comes to pricing it all depends on which country your in. The most expensive in one can be the cheapest in the next

Ended up with Bandit V myself, good luck choosing

Jdizzle
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Marazion and Gwithian

Postby Jdizzle » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:54 am

alexeyga wrote:Perhaps you should try the 2011 and 2012 C4-s, they are more grunty and more re-fined in comparaison to the original 2010-ones. Not that I don't like the RPM, but I prefer by far the smoothness of C4. :thumb:
I have demoed a 9m 2012 C4 and absolutely loved it! The only reason I'm drawn to the RPM is the fact that they're cheaper, seem to have more robust build quality and also have some beefy ass lines!! I would rather get more for my money...size for size a C4 is roughly £100 more :o How can Ozone justify this? What more are you getting for your money?

Mike27
Frequent Poster
Gear: naish

Postby Mike27 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:16 am

My expereriences of these 2 kites is a little bit different...

I think the RPM is a good versatile kite (i ve demoed the9m), but i did not like the spongy feel on bar for turning...
Concerning the C4 i have also tried the 7m.....and really hated it ! It is wayyyyy too fast and powerfull for unhooking, with no feeling in the bar for turning! In bigger size really i can't tell .

speedyRider
Frequent Poster

Postby speedyRider » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:01 am

C4 is much lighter bar pressure than RPM, which i personally dont like as i cannot feel the kite too much this is the main reason i prefer rpm also the fact that rpm is more grunty in same size and better construction and bar-lines in my opinion (but C4 is good kite)

RPM is more medium pressure and can be adjusted with 8 different configurations. In my 9m i have front lines in "wake" mode and rear lines in "slow&harder bar pressure", like this it has more pressure than Fuel for example and sits back deeper in the wind window more like a C kite position, while in the other extreme setting it would be a very light feeling so you can adjust it to your preference

Return to “Kitesurfing”