Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Why do we use a hook? - Its dangerous!

Forum for kitesurfers
Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Why do we use a hook? - Its dangerous!

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:29 am

Yes - but then we solely rely on a mechanical release as the ONLY release option, just like the release schackles (we abandoned because) - with no options to get yourself "clear" if it jams :wink:

As said, it is maybe just me - but like the idea of being able to get yourself "unstuck" if something else fails :naughty:

:D Peter

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:38 am

"The other day, my bar got stuck in the hook of my Harness. Just where the bar joins the line."

been there - done that - suuper dodgy situation

also hooked into corner of bar and leader line = full power deathloops and no safety...

North once produced a chicken loop where the release mechanism would fit into a dakine spreader bar hook - great engineering but lack of common sense design.. it is still going on with various brands... - again - you are left with no safety.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:02 am

Has anyone actually been able to unhook when they haven't been able to release the QR? Not a technique I'd want to rely on... especially if shit is wrapped around other stuff and making a nightmare!

With the 'Dynabar' style bit o' rope, you could put a hook knife through it, at least. The old FSer CL has a pin release that had low release load - must have one lying around somewhere, that could be the QR for the spreader bar.

Problem I still see is how to attach the CL to the line with something that spreads the load on the PU nicely...

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:13 am

Kamikuza wrote:
Problem I still see is how to attach the CL to the line with something that spreads the load on the PU nicely...
There is a double thimble as in this photo, but I have difficulty finding the supplier, or you could tie two of these thimbles together with 8mm rope.

http://dmmprofessional.com/products/thimble-8mm-s2908/
Attachments
baltic38.png

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:27 pm

The hook seems to have been part of the problem in this fatality.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2372312&hilit=france

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .
Has thanked: 0

Postby L0KI » Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:41 am

bebo wrote:I'm also very interested in the possibility of eliminate the hook , without making the born of other problems ! Oldnbroken, can you please put some photos of what you have done?
Here is a Jay freestyle bar that we fixed and reinforced so it will stop bending from boosting.
In the case of this set up, you just remove the hook assembly and keep just the U bolt.
Run your chicken loop right through the U bolt and you are good to go.
Take off you donkey dick first, don't need it anymore.
Attachments
Bar5.jpg
Bar5.jpg (108 KiB) Viewed 2392 times
Bar3.jpg
Bar3.jpg (132.74 KiB) Viewed 2392 times
Bar2.jpg
Bar2.jpg (94.74 KiB) Viewed 2392 times

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:03 am

Peter_Frank wrote:Yes - but then we solely rely on a mechanical release as the ONLY release option, just like the release schackles (we abandoned because) - with no options to get yourself "clear" if it jams :wink:

As said, it is maybe just me - but like the idea of being able to get yourself "unstuck" if something else fails :naughty:

i suppose if you are really worried about your QR failing i would check into two things
1) a better QR you can trust more :lol:
2) a quick-release pin on one end of the rope to release the whole mess

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:47 pm

knotwindy wrote:
Peter_Frank wrote:Yes - but then we solely rely on a mechanical release as the ONLY release option, just like the release schackles (we abandoned because) - with no options to get yourself "clear" if it jams :wink:

i suppose if you are really worried about your QR failing i would check into two things
1) a better QR you can trust more :lol:
2) a quick-release pin on one end of the rope to release the whole mess
Well, I trust my release a lot, as it is the "French" type that can not be jammed because of sand or dirt or rust or anything - so not possible to find one that can be trusted more :naughty:

But I were speaking generally, why I dont like to be "locked" to my equipment via one single way of disconnecting myself.

As there are no downsides with the hook IMO, I still prefer to have extra options to free yourself - like taking the CL out of the hook f.ex.

Regarding getting stuck in the hook - I checked mine today, and the hook is actually so big and a very open hook, so the bar can get into the arc yes, but very very easy drops out again :thumb:

Are some hooks so small that the bar can get caught and not easy to free ?

Maybe the problem is those hooks just about the same size as the bar diameter, where it might get stuck ?

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm
Has thanked: 0

Postby SupaEZ » Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:40 pm

andrepen wrote:Hello Kiters,

The other day, my bar got stuck in the hook of my Harness. Just where the bar joins the line.
Sounds like the hook was stuck over a back line "exposed between" the bar end and "the bar float"

This is how the death spiral got initiated after your crash in the surf

It is important to "push both floats all the way down so that there is zero gap" to get the hook into

Make sure to look at your floats before you launch the kite and enter the water

The new North bar 2013 has built-in floats at each bar end....no possible gap..pretty clever :D

................................... :surf: :sun: ...................................................................................

john a
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freestyle, airstyle, freeride, snowkite
Gear: Eleveight
Brand Affiliation: Eleveight

Postby john a » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:49 pm

The bar itself is dangerous, the lines can get wrapped around the bar ends... try a wheel instead??? :lol:

Return to “Kitesurfing”