Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

One Eye Kite Surf Pro Concludes In World Class Surf

Postby Toby » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:19 pm

KSP News:

One Eye Kite Surf Pro Concludes In World Class Surf

mauritius_day9.png
Le Morne, Mauritius – September 15, 2012: Epic conditions grace day 9 of the holding period for tour stop number 2 of 4 at the One Eye Kite Surf Pro. The women’s final saw a repeat victory from local ripper Ninja Bichler (GER, North), dominating her home break. The men’s side saw underdog Patri McLaughlin (HI, North) take down reigning world champion Airton Cozzolino (ITA, North) nailing the only perfect 10 of the competition in the dying moments of the final.

In the marquee matchup of the day, the men’s final promised to be the best heat of the event and it did not disappoint. The powerful Cozzolino was pitted against the barrel-hunting McLaughlin in a final that saw several lead changes and some of the best tube rides of the event. McLaughlin got off to a great start with an opening wave score of 6.83 to Cozzolino’s 4.5. However, Cozzolino answered back with an 8.5 to give him the lead at the midpoint of the final.

McLaughlin’s never-say-die attitude finally paid off in the final moments of the heat with the event title on the line. Pulling into a seemingly un-makeable barrel, McLaughlin emerged claiming the first 10-point ride of the competition. Cozzolino scored a 7.5 late in the heat, but was unable to overtake McLaughlin for the title of the One Eye Kite Surf Pro.

“I’m so stoked right now I don’t even know what to say”, said the overwhelmed McLaughlin. “I got the biggest closeout barrel of my life in that final, and I am just so happy to be here.”

The men’s 3rd place final featured Luke McGillewie (RSA, RRD) against Sebastian Ribeiro (BRA) in a battle that saw the momentum of the young McGillewie finally stopped by the powerful, flowing backside riding of the on-fire Brazilian.

On the women’s side, the much-anticipated battle between the local knowledge of Bichler and the hotshot riding of Jalou Langeree (NED, Naish) was a nail biter right down to the wire. In the end, Bichler’s superior wave selection proved to be the difference in a final that highlighted her relationship with the intricacies of the break at One Eye.

“I felt more pressure this year trying to defend my title, but I was able to catch some good waves and felt in tune with the ocean today. I am just so happy to win the event again here at my home spot in front of my local crew,” said Bichler.

Following the completion of the main event, the 6-heat Expression Session began in exceptional conditions. Mauricio Pedreira (BRA), Milla Ferreira (BRA), and local rider Max Bonieux (MRU) won top honors for best barrel rides in their respective categories.

Final Results of the One Eye Kite Surf Pro:
Men’s Final:
1-Patri McLaughlin (HI, North) 17.67
2-Airton Cozzolino (ITA, North) 16.00

Men’s 3rd Place Final:
3-Sebastian Ribeiro (BRA) 13.67
4-Luke McGillewie (RSA,RRD) 10.57

Women’s Final:
1-Ninja Bichler (GER, North) 17.00
2-Jalou Langeree (NED, Naish) 11.53

Women’s 3rd Place Final:
3-Kirsty Jones (GBR, North) 12.24
4-Ines Correia (POR, RRD) 12.23

Highlights from the KSP One Eye Pro are available via http://www.kspworldtour.com .

The pictures of the day can be found HERE!

The KSP would like to thank the sponsors of the One Eye Kite Surf Pro; MTPA, St. Regis Hotel, Monster and North Kiteboarding as well as event partners Emtel, Ion, Adamas, Club Mistral, Le Gall, Enso, Afix, GoPro, Multibox, Habit, Silent Partners, Hydro Energy, Fun Adventure, St Aubin and media partners Radio One, L’ Express and Equipe.

Tune in to watch all heats on demand at www.kspworldtour.com/live brought to you by Emtel.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: One Eye Kite Surf Pro Concludes In World Class Surf

Postby Toby » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:25 pm