PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:07 am 
Medium Poster

tautologies wrote:
zfennell wrote:
regardless of authenticity,
its still a great pic.

we definitely play in the same places
so
no reason why such an event should not occur.
and
all the thoughts and emotions it conjures up are real enough.
-bill

No not the same IMO. It is a fake pic, and a situation that never happened. I think it is not the same as if it was real. :D

true

Post subject: Re: Kiting with a whale
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:20 am 
Medium Poster

I dont have a picture to go with the memory, but I had a humpback surface about 20 feet from me last winter. It was cruising at a 90 degree angle to my starboard. Scared the piss out of me. Didnt see him coming and didnt see him again. Just one massive puff of air and he was gone.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:32 am 
Very Frequent Poster

lbatbeach wrote:
I dont have a picture to go with the memory, but I had a humpback surface about 20 feet from me last winter. It was cruising at a 90 degree angle to my starboard. Scared the piss out of me. Didnt see him coming and didnt see him again. Just one massive puff of air and he was gone.

They are impressive animals for sure. I have a friend that almost ended up on top of one. He was in absolute awe after, and so stoked.
We get a lot of whales here. Such beautiful nature.

I guess a doctored images can serve as as an imagery of what could happen much the same way as a fictional book or movie can inspire thought, but still not quite the same as reality :-)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:59 am 
Medium Poster

I kited with a pod of 4 or 5 orcas this summer. At first it was "hey, cool, whales!", riding toeside watching them approach upwind. Had by gopro in the truck, doh.

Then the wind started dying a little, so I headed a little closer to shore with each tack, and realized they were never getting any farther away. The wind was sketchy enough by this point that there was risk on turns of ending up in the water. I started wondering what the possibility was they were transients (seal eaters), especially the one big bull. So headed in direct to shore ... and by this time, no question they were following me! They stopped about 50m from shore ... much to the amusement of all the other kiters on shore watching.

Seriously doubt anything would have happened, as they are almost definitely salmon-eating resident orcas, probably just curious. But had a "welcome to the food chain" thought for a few moments there. :o

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:40 am 
Frequent Poster

Nice, juandesooka. I was watching a surfing video a while back where you could see hundreds of seals on the beach in the background, plus seals jumping out of the water every few minutes. I had the same thought - "welcome to the food chain..." Or rather, welcome to being another entree on what must have been the biggest shark smorgasbord around :lol:

[ 15 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2