Rare Poster
Local Beach: Vancouver, British Columbia
Gear: 2010 Ocean Rodeo Rise 11m
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Kite size question

Postby Jeff77 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:25 pm

My wife and I are both beginner kiters. She's about to work on her waterstart and I can ride about 50 to a 100 meters before crashing. We currently own a 2010 Ocean Rodeo Rise 11m kite.

We're looking to buy a second kite and next year probably a third. I weigh 195 lbs and her weight is 160 lbs.

Would a 9m kite be right for us now and later a 7 meter? Or should we get an 8m kite and later a 6m? We're looking to kite around Vancouver and for vacations in Maui, Mexico and the Caribbean.

Your comments are greatly appreciated! Thanks.

direnc
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Alacati, Pirlanta, Ilica
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cult 7.5
Soul 10
Ride 10
Kestrel 12
Gin Spirit 15
Edge 8/9/11
Ten Velox 11
Zephyr
Mako 150, DIY foils and boards

Re: Kite size question

Postby direnc » Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:13 pm

Me and my wife kite are both kiters. I weigh 177 lbs, and she is 121lbs. We have 7.5, 10, 12 and 16m kites and three boards of different sizes. Since you both weigh more than us, it would probably be better if you bough a bigger kite, like a 14m for lighter winds. But if you plan to always kite in high winds I'd go for an 8m.

boardriding maui
Rare Poster
Local Beach: kitebeach, maui
Favorite Beaches: Anywhere were the riders are smiling
Style: Lawn mowing
Gear: boardriding maui
Brand Affiliation: owner, in development of brand launching next year

Postby boardriding maui » Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:16 pm

Aloha Jeff,

Since you mention Maui, I'll give you my two cents.

My feeling is that kite size choice is specific to many variables, including, but not limited to: local riding conditions, rider experience, rider size, personal preference, and the list goes on.

My best guess from what you've written, but without knowing Vancouver (other than its a super rad city, and my first stop on the way to Whistler!!!) is that your thinking for a 7 and 9 to add at some point to your 11 sounds awesome. I think you'll want to take local advice specific to your riding areas (and not mine from Maui). Maybe look up Kyle Touhey on Facebook.

For Maui, I could do 95% of my riding on a 7m (assuming it is a kite with good range). My wife does most of her riding on a 6m, and there are plenty of days when she's too lit, so we just got a 5m. So, a 6, 8, 11 quiver may be more Maui-friendly for a 3 kite quiver. Or, up-ing it to a 4 kite quiver of 5, 7, 9, 11 may be even more Maui friendly. Still, in Vancouver, it may be you'll get way more sessions on a kite bigger than 11, instead of adding a 5m. So, it gets confusing, and leads me back to the importance of local advice (so ignore my comments outside of those for Maui).

If I may add to your post: I'm very interested to hear what everyone's dream quiver is for where they ride. Not brands/models, but just number of kites in the quiver, and what sizes, specifying the riding location(s). For example, mine is:
Maui1 kite quiver: 7m.
2 kite quiver: 6, 8.
3 kite quiver: 5, 7, 9.
If I'm going to travel, add a 13m.

Thank you.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:30 pm

Board riding Maui is on the money. Smaller kites need smaller increments, max 2m under a 9m kite, larger kites can span 3 to 4m. A light weight rider will benefit from small increments. The force of the wind increases exponentially as the velocity increases.
If you have an 11 now I would go with either a 6 8 11 or a 9 11 13-14 depending on the average wind speed in your area.

boardriding maui
Rare Poster
Local Beach: kitebeach, maui
Favorite Beaches: Anywhere were the riders are smiling
Style: Lawn mowing
Gear: boardriding maui
Brand Affiliation: owner, in development of brand launching next year

Postby boardriding maui » Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:50 am

...to elaborate further on my comments specific to riding on Maui: The sizes I indicated are only for my riding preference. I have friends here that rarely ride smaller than 8m. Their (Maui) quiver is 8, 10, 12.

Hoping to hear back from more of you regarding dream quiver sizing in your area. Or, I'll bet there's been a discussion on this previously. Anyone have a link?

Jeff77
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Vancouver, British Columbia
Gear: 2010 Ocean Rodeo Rise 11m

Postby Jeff77 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:02 am

Mahalo for you replies! :thumb:

I'll ask around here and see what other kiters and shops suggest. It's just that we both want to kite and not have too many kites. Right now we don't know what kind of kiting we prefer because we're just beginning. And probably in the future we need another board. We have a 133 x 41 cm Ocean Rodeo Zen board now.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:41 am

just my opinion but as beginners you "proper" kite size is going to change all over the place

at first you want smaller gaps between kites so you can usually be on the right size to be as comfortable and safe as possible
as you improve even slightly you will find a little bigger kite will work a little better because you are not that efficient yet
as you get more efficient you will find you want a slightly smaller board,
then maybe a slightly bigger kite then for light wind you will want a slightly bigger board specific for lightwind and as the board gets bigger you will be able to use a smaller kite again
then if you decide jumps are fun(as most of use did/do) you will want to be overpowered with a bigger kite and if you then think waves would be fun and get a directional you will want a smaller kite again nd racing is a whole other thing and then, well, you get the idea, it is never ending
and all that has nothing to do with wind strength changes! although as the wind strength does change the water shape changes so you will want to do different thongs which will require different tools

so whatever you get will work really well and then it won't
have fun and have money ready

mariod2
Rare Poster

Postby mariod2 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:58 pm

You could go with a 8-9m now as you do not wan to ride in powerful winds with a 7 as a beginer.

You could consider getting 2 boards, one all round and one for light wind, then you are well set off with than 11/8-9 kite quiver.

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10

Postby Slappysan » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:48 am

When you say kiting in Vancouver do you really mean Squamish? because you can't really kite in Vancouver aside from spring/fall and you'll get much more time on the water if you focus on going up to Squamish during the summer when you have a 99% chance of quality wind.

For Squamish you need a 8 or 9m for your wife.

If you do want to focus on kiting in Vancouver you'll need to get both a light wind board and not only a bigger kite but also a LW specific kite (otherwise it won't stay in the air during the lulls).

jumarcil
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Bozo Beach
Gear: Core xr3: 7 and 9, escape 11m 2015, leopard 9 and 11

Postby jumarcil » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:57 am

Jeff77 wrote:My wife and I are both beginner kiters. She's about to work on her waterstart and I can ride about 50 to a 100 meters before crashing. We currently own a 2010 Ocean Rodeo Rise 11m kite.

We're looking to buy a second kite and next year probably a third. I weigh 195 lbs and her weight is 160 lbs.

Would a 9m kite be right for us now and later a 7 meter? Or should we get an 8m kite and later a 6m? We're looking to kite around Vancouver and for vacations in Maui, Mexico and the Caribbean.

Your comments are greatly appreciated! Thanks.
Depends on the wind conditions but at 195 pounds an 11m wont get you far in the Caribbean and mexico when the wind isn't blowing.

at 170 pounds I use a 9m, 12m and 15 and I kite from 10 to 35+ knots

so at your weights (160 -195)

8m , 11m, + a 14m or 15m. (she use the 8 you use the 11, you use the 14 she use the 11 and so on. at 160 on an 8m she could ride up to 30 knots but since you guys are starting you wont kite in really strong 35+ conditions.

Return to “Kitesurfing”