All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 14 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Kite size question
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:59 am 
Rare Poster

We're hoping to do Squamish when we're a bit more advanced.

Took a lesson there and it's quite intimidating for someone kiting at our level. Taking a lesson there is fine but I don't see us going out there ourselves right now. I think Spanish Banks, White Rock, Bellingham Locust Beach would be good options to learn a bit more before heading to Squamish on our own.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:30 pm 
Frequent Poster

I know how intimidating Squamish can be when you are still learning but if it's summer time it's by far your best bet for kiteboarding. Just stay in the estuary (you don't have a choice until you can ride upwind) and get the rescue from the Jetski once you go too deep. Really once your past the launch area and out of the lane it's quite peaceful in the estuary and it wont take long before you can hold your ground there (just not make it back to the launch). The wind in the estuary is effected by the spit though and there are some big shadows so try and avoid going West of the pylons.

As for in Vancouver during the summer the only real option is Boundry Bay, and you'll only get a few days there all summer with 15 knots. Boundry Bay is an amazing spot for beginners though and even if you can't stay upwind you can just hold your ground as best you can until Beach Grove then pack up and walk back.

Now that fall is approaching we should get some North Westerlies that will make Spanish Banks a good spot for you, but so far it's still summer weather.

Edit: map colours:
- Black: wind direction
- Green: Estuary kite zone
- Red: wind shadow of the spit (avoid it)
- Blue: the lane that everyone rides in (those who can stay upwind)
- Orange: rescue pickup

Also that pic is google maps and it's years old. There is more beach (but it's rocky) in the orange zone these days.

Attachments:
Squamish-kite-zone.jpg
Squamish-kite-zone.jpg [ 92.91 KIB | Viewed 174 times ]
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:07 pm 
Frequent Poster

Jeff77 wrote:
My wife and I are both beginner kiters. She's about to work on her waterstart and I can ride about 50 to a 100 meters before crashing. We currently own a 2010 Ocean Rodeo Rise 11m kite.

We're looking to buy a second kite and next year probably a third. I weigh 195 lbs and her weight is 160 lbs.

Would a 9m kite be right for us now and later a 7 meter? Or should we get an 8m kite and later a 6m? We're looking to kite around Vancouver and for vacations in Maui, Mexico and the Caribbean.

Would it not be better if you learned to ride, before deciding to purchase your next kite ? Once you can ride without falling, you'll have a much better idea of what you want or need

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:34 am 
Rare Poster

Thanks Slappysan for the info, great!

@Clarencephil We are thinking to get a smaller kite so we (at different weights) can both go out on the same day and take turns to practice. This way, we hope both of us can learn and not have one person on shore all day because the wind is too soft or strong to go on our 11m.

[ 14 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2