Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

kitesurfing holiday january 2013

Forum for kitesurfers
tmcfarla
Frequent Poster

Re: kitesurfing holiday january 2013

Postby tmcfarla » Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:35 pm

I've gone to Playa Copal, Costa Rica a few times in January, it has always had me kiting every day or nearly every day. The wind is really, really strong in January- you are more likely to have too much wind than too little. I like it a lot there, but some people don't like the relative lack of a night life. There are no waves and the water is usually a little bit choppy because winds are really strong. You'll need small kites if you go in January (5m, 7m). I've always really enjoyed the laid back atmosphere and the really beautiful beach.

madmax7
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Belmont, Nicholas Canyon, Lake Isabella, Sherman Island
Favorite Beaches: Cabarette, Margarita, Maui
Gear: Naish Kites, North Boards
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby madmax7 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:09 pm

Hey tmc

You going to Playa Copal this Jan? Where u usually stay?

I'll b headed there Jan 2 for 9 days

Max

tmcfarla
Frequent Poster

Postby tmcfarla » Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:39 am

madmax7 wrote:Hey tmc

You going to Playa Copal this Jan? Where u usually stay?

I'll b headed there Jan 2 for 9 days

Max
Nope, not enough vacation time this year. Last time I went I stayed at the Blue Dream Hotel, there is another place a few miles down the road but I can't remember the name, there are also cabin to rent for not too much money. Have fun, you'll probably not need anything bigger than a 9 or 10 meter kite, and will almost certainly need something in the 5 to 7m range.

Kitesurfingsam
Rare Poster
Local Beach: The Elbe Beach (on the Elbe River in Germany) is my local beach but it is rather difficult to kite there most of the time.
Favorite Beaches: El Yaque amd Cumbuco are my all time favorites. However, Peniche has some sick spots as do Tenerife and Fuerteventura. There are just too many to name.
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Ozone and Cabrinha

Postby Kitesurfingsam » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:53 pm

Sweetness! I went surfing in Costa Rica just a couple months ago. These guys made my surf trip really easy to book! :thumb: I highly recommend them. The also have a bunch of kiteboarding spots too. Check them out.
These users thanked the author Kitesurfingsam for the post:
CaptainKook (Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:12 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

sucker4wind
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Picnic Island, East Beach, Unemployment Beach
Style: old school freestyle
Gear: Core, Aboard, Crazyfly, Mystic

Postby sucker4wind » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:20 pm

alex85 wrote:At the end we're almost sure to go in Aruba ( also because a venezuelan friend of mine will be there same period and he can help us )...anyone have been there in january?Lookin at the average on windfinder and not seems to be bad... :o

http://www.windfinder.com/windstats/win ... _aruba.htm :D

Do you have some advice? We also like to see Adicora that's not so far...
Two of my buddies and I went to Aruba January 2010 and we practically got skunked on wind. Rode the first afternoon then the next day in marginal wind then dead still for 4 days!! Nightlife sucked and I was unimpressed with the island. (may have been slow due to the Natalie H. deal-tragic btw) Would have been better with a girlfriend fo-sho but I won't go back. Colombia has been good for me in January. Lago Calima excellent wind 365 days, Cartagena good in Jan.

KiteSplosh
Rare Poster
Gear: Dice
Shinn Monk Forever

Postby KiteSplosh » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:33 am

Don't come to Australia - it's freezing, no wind and nobody here speaks English. Especially bad in WA but also useless in VIC, NSW or South QLD. :lol:

On a more serious note, Jan in Aus is pretty good. Don't go too far North (too hot, and a slight hassle of salties and stingers). WA wind usually cranks in Jan - if you can get out of Perth you'll find much better waves than the Perth mush. South QLD is gorgeous too - if you like waves and downwinders, you can can go for days. Check out seabreeze.com.au for a low down on spots and conditions.

windrider99
Rare Poster
Local Beach: 3rd Avenue, San Francisco Bay Area
Favorite Beaches: Brazi - Northeast Coast

Postby windrider99 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:49 am

I was in Aruba last January. Great wind every day. Offshore but flat on the west side. Onshore with waves at Boca Grande.

Anabatic_co_nz
Medium Poster
Local Beach: New Zealand
Gear: 12m 9m and 7m Skull Kite
Brand Affiliation: Founder of Kiteboarding.RED

Postby Anabatic_co_nz » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:07 am

If you don't mind the Hobbits, the far North of the North Island of New Zealand is really nice that time of year.
We run our Kite camps there every year.

criznach
Medium Poster

Postby criznach » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:12 am

I found the night life around Playa Copal to be adequate. Not clubs or bars, but a tight group of kiters at the local restaurant or around a bonfire on the beach. Things wind down around 11:00 or 12:00 because the forecast the next day will be killer. If you're about 20% night life and 80% kiting, it might not be enough. But if you're 95% kiting and 5% night life, it's great! :D

Max from Quebec? You were there when I was last Feb.

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:24 am

aussie/nz peak summer

Return to “Kitesurfing”