Alvor, PORTUGAL
Style: Freeride, waves
Gear: Ozone, Wainman, various boards
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: I really enjoy smashing a 30+ knots session

Postby DJwilson » Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:35 pm

I'm with you mate - give me a stormy winter session any day....they re on their way!

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:34 pm

Brent4336 wrote:Ha ha ha ha

I often wonder how those few first charging snowboarders felt when all of a sudden the whole hill was packed with novice/intermediates content to call the bunny slopes totally rad.

4 people respond and none identify with what the OP describes. Stoke is great, and riding a bigger kite powered might do it for you, but don't kid yourself, its no match for mother nature going off in the water. The sheer amount of energy involved goes far beyond stoke, and when you are at play in the midst of it, Stoke is simply the after glow you carry away from it. The experience itself is practically transcendental.

There are plenty of great days, but there are only a few sessions a season that fill you with awe. You are not landing new tricks, or even riding as aggressively as you would in lesser conditions. You are genuinely happy to have been able to master yourself out there and not let the magnitude of it all get the better of you. Mistakes in these conditions have consequences.

I'm totally with you Plummet. big winds, small kites, monstrous conditions all the way. Love love love it. Such a treat after a long hot summer of sharpening skills in lighter conditions.

Come the big days, the crowd thins considerably. There is a particular kind of stoke amongst the few that share those days. It's collective and enduring. At each spot we frequent, we know the others of the group, and there is an instant mutual aloha when our paths cross. More often than not, its to once again celebrate the best way we know how.

yeah that sums it up perfectly. you finish that session with the 3 or 4 other blokes that have braved the conditions. they all have "wild eyes" and big grins..... hmmmm.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:55 am

Brent4336 wrote:... but don't kid yourself, its no match for mother nature going off in the water...
Must be nice to get decent wind :(
We had 30+ knots yesterday (33 actually :D ) but it was punchy as hell... I measured 12 to 28 knots on the beach. Not much fun... but the 2 hours before that were good.

Winter storms from the north are much cleaner here... and those ARE fun! But rare as hen's teeth...

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:30 am

Kamikuza wrote:
Brent4336 wrote:... but don't kid yourself, its no match for mother nature going off in the water...
Must be nice to get decent wind :(

Winter storms from the north are much cleaner here... and those ARE fun! But rare as hen's teeth...
My August was the worst since i started kiting ; this year anyway ! The monsoon just
friken sat on us All month & produced lousy winds. Sept hasn't bin any better.

Today a buddy called & invited me along but it was 2:00 before we left, for what i thought
was gonna be a sand-bag run, ----------------WE Kited for 3 hours and watched the
Sun-Set, in 15mph winds, and i was Really StOKed !!!

Fall & winter is coming , with Lots & Lots of 30+ N wind days ; i can Deal with the Over the
top major gusty Crap, and screwed-Up choppy water , as long as the Wind just :
keeps coming !

The blistering Cold 50deg days ; they aren't TO0oo Bad to deal with. It's wearing the
gloves part that I Hate ; i like Best when it's 110deg in the shade, as long as i
got a cold Guinness & JD when i'm done kiteing !!

Bille

Ned Divine
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Ned Divine » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:54 am

I love 30+ as well, just envy the guys who have the balls to loop these small kites at the apex of the big jumps... I will go for it one day 8) :naughty:

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:16 am

Apparently, I got more days kiting in Thailand than the guys here did in the three weeks we were away - 4 days of kiteable wind :o

Some times, it's a big stoke just to get out at all :(

nikalaitzian
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Loutsa Nissakia,Oropos,Vouliagmeni
Style: wave,bigair,megaloops,hydrofoil,wingfoil
Gear: Epic kites,BTS kiteboards,cohete surfboards,SAB,GAC hydrofoils
Brand Affiliation: Epic Kites,GAC

Postby nikalaitzian » Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:18 pm

plummet wrote:had a few of these sessions lately and i'm loving it.

I really enjoy the challenge of the conditions.The feel of fighting a wild beast. muscling your way through the gusts. manhandling the crazy seas. boosting to the moon over thurnderous white wash. ahhh. flying small fast kites

oh yes. i crave big stupid winds.
I' m an addict too....but i am adding a few megaloops in the cake :naughty:

and i'm so stoked seein all other pussies outside drinkin beers and saying that they can unhook in there!!! :rollgrin: :lol:

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:49 am

Kamikuza wrote:
Brent4336 wrote:... I measured 12 to 28 knots on the beach. Not much fun......
12-28 is less fun. ,,,. .. the lulls suck.

but add 10 knots to the baseline. 22-38.... lots and lots of fun. Feel that gust hitting.. usually you can see them on the water!. pull the trigger and booooost in the gust.

pj sofine
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: silly
Gear: naish pivots 9,11, rpm 7,8,10,12 cf raptor ltd 136,140

Postby pj sofine » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:12 am

We've got storm warnings up for tomorrow -SSE 15-20 gusts to 35, increasing to 25 -30 gusts to 45.We'll see how much fun this will be! I'll report back if I'm still in one piece.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:11 am

pj sofine wrote:We've got storm warnings up for tomorrow -SSE 15-20 gusts to 35, increasing to 25 -30 gusts to 45.We'll see how much fun this will be! I'll report back if I'm still in one piece.
Are you talking m/s or knots ?

A storm is from 48 til 63 knots or 25 to 33 m/s, average wind.

We have had some storms the last years, with 30 to 35 m/s average wind (58 to 68 knots) at the wavespots, but of course noone out.

Peak gusts at 90 knots (46m/s) at some spots, crazy :o

My point is, that "High wind" is 27 to 33 knots or 14 to 17 m/s (average weight riders using 4 to 6m2 kites)

So a 30+ session is typically "High wind" (or Gale) and not even close to stormy conditions 8)

Especially as we are talking average wind.

Then you have a "Gale" which is 34-40 knots or 17 to 21 m/s.

After that, it is a "Strong Gale" at 41 to 47 or 21 to 25 m/s.

Above that (still average wind) it is called a Storm :thumb:

But awesome to be out in windy conditions, agree - would just be nice to use the terms closer to correct, as it somehow will devaluate everything otherwise.
I know many local news reporters might do the same mistake though, so easy to get "lured into" :wink:

I share the stoke :rollgrin:

:D Peter

Return to “Kitesurfing”