Forum for kitesurfers
Dirty84
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Epic screamer or north rebel

Postby Dirty84 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:25 pm

Looking to buy a new kite, 2012 north rebel 11m or epic screamer 10m ltd any suggestions?

Olivier D
Medium Poster
Gear: Epic Screamer 2010 9m
Slingshot Lunacy
Brand Affiliation: EPIC

Re: Epic screamer or north rebel

Postby Olivier D » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:58 pm

If you're looking for a boosting kite for high jumps (and extreme hangtime) and a fantastic customer service don't hesitate: go for the EPIC Screamer LTD.

Yes I ride an EPIC kite. A 2010 Screamer. Still flying and still a booster :thumb:

Geronimo79
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride
Gear: Epic Kites and Arise and Hyperflex
Brand Affiliation: Epic Kites and Arise

Postby Geronimo79 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:45 pm

Both kites are great. 2011 10m Screamer is amazing. It jumps great good height and insane long hangtime. But a brutal kite. 3G 10m Screamers i heared many good things but i havent tested it yet. From what i understood the kite became a little more versityle so you can do good freestyle with it aswell.

Rebels are good at this too but miss that little extra the screamer has. I could jump very easy with the Rebels but it simply lacked the hangtime. I had the idea it takes you a little more downwind which gives you a good airtime.

Compeared to the screamer i found the bar feeling really twitchy with gusts. where the screamer you feel them too but not that twitchy.

Soon epic will rease a new bar/QR which is really nice.

Cant go wrong with either kite.

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .

Postby L0KI » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:14 pm

I fly the (2012) Epic Screamer 3G 10M LTD kite.
It has great range..enough bottom end to go right from your monster lightwind kite to the S10 and enough top end to get to your 7M high wind kite.
The S10 has a somewhat C shaped profile, so comes through the turns/loops nice and quick without a hint of stall ever, and gives more boost and float than any kite I've ever flown.
I demoed the 3G Screamers in 7M, 9M, 12M and 14M sizes and they are all very good, but the S10 with it's different profile, more square wingtip shape and different panel layout, was my clear favorite size in the line up.
I was not a huge fan of the 2011 Screamer 10M LTD either, as Geronimo said, it was for tough guys only, but the 3G S10 LTD is a really nice kite.
The Rebel is a fine kite, but it is a dedicated five line kite, the last year I owned a five line kite was 2007.
Customer service at Epic is certainly more personal than what you will get from North.

mariod2
Rare Poster

Postby mariod2 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:53 pm

I have only tried the Rebel and when it comes to quality and kite behavior, I give it 10 out of 10. Great all round kite.

Caesar
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Palm Cove, Port Douglas, Yorkeys Knob
Gear: Not telling unless I'm getting paid.
Brand Affiliation: Nothing...

Postby Caesar » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:30 pm

Dirty84 wrote:Looking to buy a new kite, 2012 north rebel 11m or epic screamer 10m ltd any suggestions?
Depending on your level of experience.
If you know what you are doing kitewise, go and get the 10m LTD Screamer. That kites needs to be powered at any time; one mistake and it could hurt you. It is for those who love to jump and fly and is definitely not a beginner's kite.
Th Rebel is good too, but I personally don't like 5 liners.
Quality wise you can't go wrong with either of them.
Epic will soon release the new bar with the new QR and I would wait for that (if you can wait...hehe).

Cheers
Caesar 8)

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm

Postby SupaEZ » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:21 am

I am 100% REBELLIOUS and.............. do not like Black kites

I do EVERYTHING supaez and well......waves....transitions in the surf...etc...on that wild Thing

ZERO issues whatsoever with the supa dreaded misunderstood hated by all it seem....loaded 5th

....................... :cheers: and ............. :happybirthday: to all who LOVE :heartface: REBELS :wink:

P.S. my Hangtime with it is supa fine..... just like my Testosterone level........... :naughty:

Caesar
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Palm Cove, Port Douglas, Yorkeys Knob
Gear: Not telling unless I'm getting paid.
Brand Affiliation: Nothing...

Postby Caesar » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:36 am

SupaEZ wrote:I am 100% REBELLIOUS and.............. do not like Black kites
I hate black kites too and I told Dimitri. But he wont change his mind (yet).
I don't know what is in their minds producing black kites... :(

Cheers
Caesar 8)

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:49 am

Only flown the rebel out of these two kites, but the screamer sounds a bit like the Airush VX i now ride. It easily out boosts the rebel and the hangtime is superb. But it is like the screamer it asks a lot of the rider, needs to be flown and you need to ride fast and hard. Not sure what the screamer is like in the surf, but the VX flies too fast - but is really good for on shore. Cross shore it still works but you need to downloop it both ways up and down the line.

The rebel is a plug and play. it is dependable the canopy is amazingly stable and the lack of pulleys gives it that north feel. It is a no brainer in terms of boosting but the VX (I presume the screamer may be the same but correct me if Im wrong), needs to be flown correctly to boost and then needs to be flown correctly in the air. That being said get the VX right and the boost in incredible and it will land you softly every time. also the VX - like the screamer it seems can be easily looped or downlooped.

Forget aggressive looping on the rebel. You can do it and I did, but you get it wrong and it will punish your ass in a big way. Also the VX unhooks well - presume the screamer does to.

I know crew rave about rebels in the surf, I was not convinced. it pivot turns, stalls slightly, then shoots forward, then sits back in the window dragging you off the face. This is a 2012 analysis though, not sure on the 2013.

So in the end it depends on where you are at, and where you want to go. Those that love the rebel are looking for a certain freeride kite and to me it is one of the best in that class. You want to push a little into the freestyle then forget the rebel. But for hooked freeride, boost and decent surf characteristic the rebel is a bloody winner.

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .

Postby L0KI » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:16 am

The 3G Screamer 10M LTD is not a difficult kite to fly, no need to only fly it fast and hard.
At the same time, none of the Epic kites have ever been super tame / limp dick kites.
The S10 has better drift than the rest of the Screamer line up, so better in surf than a regular Screamer.
The S10 and all the Screamer sizes are easy kites to jump, it is not one of those kites that you have to be super precise to jump.
I am a kiter of barely average talent, and it is the boostiest kite I've ever flown.
The S10 downloops smoothly or comes around and climbs up beautifully with zero hesitation.
No stalling and shooting forward, I hate that the most in a kite ..and this kite does not.
I don't really care what color a kite is, as long as it is not pink or safety orange.
Not sure why anyone would have a problem with a black kite, nice and simple.

Return to “Kitesurfing”