Self land in water

Forum for kitesurfers
exuma kitesurfing
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Self land in water

Postby exuma kitesurfing » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:16 pm

your method is correct, only i secure the kite on the beach first, then walk out to my control bar ... much easier to wrap up lines with two hands and less chance of an accident if your kite slips from your grip. unless your conditions are such that the lines/bar may snag on the bottom, 9.7 times out of 10 your lines will not tangle as they float if you quickly go back to your bar.

bnthere
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island and South Texas USA

Hood River and the Columbia River Gorge USA
Favorite Beaches: South Padre Island Texas: year round the best flatwater and fall - winter - spring fun wave riding as well.
Style: all styles of kite riding
Gear: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Brand Affiliation: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Seadoo
Headzone
Been thanked: 0

Postby bnthere » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:41 pm

i agree with exuma

celly your description of your procedure is amazing, but i dont think anyone cares if you kneel on one knee or 2, start with your left foot when you walk, hold the kite with your elbow, hand, dick, or whatever. (well maybe someone does, this forum is full of posts like that). you do however describe the same thing we are talking about, which is cool: to land your own kite you disable it onto the leash line (in your case a single center line, with is the best leash system imo), then go up that line until you have your hands on the kite. "self rescue bar wrap" while you approach the kite is certainly optional if it is not difficult to hold the single line as you proceed to the kite, and there is no other reason to wrap the lines (like you have a long swim in which you wouldnt want lines tangle around yourself, other things in the water, other kiters, or boats that come by to pick you up.)

anyway, im out. good luck with the flying anchors for those that like to complicate things. everything works great until it doesnt.

sfpete
Medium Poster
Local Beach: San Francisco Bay area
Style: stayin' alive

Postby sfpete » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:11 pm

celly wrote:At the end of my session I come in so im about 50m away from my property. I signal for assistance and a family member comes out into the knee deep water and I instruct them to watch the kite...
Why don't you get your butler to do it?

celly
Medium Poster
Style: freestyle
Gear: 145 Cab Rival with 2010 Sync Bindings
2012 14m LF NRG light breeze

Postby celly » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:12 pm

Hostile hostile people. guess i should have clarified, its my grandparents property. Im a broke student, feel better now? :thumb:

bnthere
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island and South Texas USA

Hood River and the Columbia River Gorge USA
Favorite Beaches: South Padre Island Texas: year round the best flatwater and fall - winter - spring fun wave riding as well.
Style: all styles of kite riding
Gear: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Brand Affiliation: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Seadoo
Headzone

Postby bnthere » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:38 pm

nice save, keep shredding

lovethepirk
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Almost air tacking on hydrofoil...
Gear: Delta Race Hydrofoil, 15m SS Turbine, 12m Switchblade, 9m Switchblade

Postby lovethepirk » Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:18 am

I've got a Cabrinha bar from 2014 where the chicken loop doesn't release and I was working on a self landing in water yesterday and one time instead of turning the kite around at the edge of the window, I tried to pull the QR method and I remember the kite still having some power and not flagging out nicely.

I have a switch bar whereby the chicken loop releases, would this be a safer bar doing a self water landing, or am I losing my mind as I remember the Cabrinha bar didn't fully dump the power in the kite?

Thanks.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:04 am

It depends on whether the kite flags out properly on 2 front lines.

I basically get the kite to do what this one does in the video.

What I do different, depends on the bar a bit but I have used the same method with a BRM single front line flagging bar attached to a 2009 Crossbow.

Set the kite at 45 degrees. Pull the front lines down 3m (it's bringing the top of the red IDS lines to the bar, instead of the bar going to the top of the red IDS lines in the video. Works just the same.), and wait until the kite gets itself into the parked position directly downwind. Fold one rear line to the middle of the bar and wind the 1.5m of doubled over 3m of centerlines over it on that half of the bar. Then wind all 4 lines together onto the bar, as normal, until you get to the kite.

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10

Postby Slappysan » Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:16 am

If it's your own property just install a float to tether launch and land and be done with it.

Otherwise since you are on a LF kite I'll assume a LF bar, so you have a low Y. This means you can just bring the kite down to the water on the side of the window then pull on your upper center line and the kite will flop face down and you just walk up the center and grab the kite.

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 180lb/82kg
Local Beach: Clinton Lake in East-Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town (also sailing around the world, this season crossed the South Pacific)
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Duotone Dice 12
Long Ocean 136, Eleveight Master C+ 136, Naish Global 6'0", RB Sixty 3 Matador 5' 8", Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards

Postby Hugh2 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:04 am

If you are worried about letting the kite go inadvertently once you have reached it, remove your leash from your bar and clip it to one of the bridles. Then you don't have to hold onto the kite while you wind up your lines on your bar. Don't bother removing the lines from the kite till you get to shore.

TonyC
Rare Poster
Gear: Core GTS4 8,10,12
Naish Monarch 135,138
Stallion V2
Slingshot Hoverglide NF2

Postby TonyC » Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:56 am

Wetstuff wrote:Celly.. Here it is. A carabiner attached directly to anchor running thru the float. I would not trust a mushroom anchor commonly used in a small boat. You cannot be - too rich.. too thin .. or have a large enough anchor. (within reason)

Jim

Thats pretty cool idea!

I know its extremely unlikely but I can't help but picture a rouge kite flying around with a death anchor attached to it. Like something from a cheap horror film lol.

Return to “Kitesurfing”