All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: wetsuit for scandinavian winter
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:59 pm 
Rare Poster

I am living in Scandinavia, DK, and am freezing in my NXP already in october. its 5/4/3 wetsuit.

Can anyone suggest a good setup for the october/december mounts?

cheers

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: wetsuit for scandinavian winter
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:52 pm 
Medium Poster

Yes: a drysuit :lol: .

Seriously, I moved from wet- to drysuit last winter and it makes such a difference! You'll stay warmer while kiting, and putting regular clothes on after a session is so much better!

It'll cost you a bit, try to buy one from wetsuitoutlet.co.uk, they have good prices!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:22 pm 
Frequent Poster

I would second that. I ride in North Germany so pretty similar weather, just a tad less cold. I just got this one: http://oceanrodeo.com/products/surfdry as I wanted a less bulky suit than the traditional loose fit dry suits. But I rode one of those before and they also work fine. Popular brands/products at different price points are Ocean Rodeo, ION Fuse (loose, full neopren dry suit), GUL, Dry Fashion (German brand).

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:44 pm 
Frequent Poster

I know what you mean, i ride in Quebec/Canada till the end of November and we start back in the spring when there is still some ice block on the lake! Dry suit all the way, so much better than a thick wet suit. You can use any thermal isolation you need inside to perfectly fit your water temp and it is very comfortable on the beach when your session is over. But you are much better to immediately buy a good one. Ideally one that breathe, a big plus. I have the new Ocean Rodeo Soul and it is the best I have seen, so well made and top quality component only, check it : http://www.oceanrodeo.com/products/soul

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:15 pm 
Rare Poster

Thanks for feedback!

I guess I need o save some money for a dry-suit then.

Cold winter here I come ;)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:39 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

A good drysuit and a good wetsuit cost the same...

So absolutely no doubt about it, if you are "more cold" than others - that a drysuit is the way forward :thumb:

:D PF

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:47 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

I kite in southern Sweden for 10 years now. gear you need:
dry suit - UK has deals. mystic makes a good one too.
dry gloves like mystic drygloves- 3mm
dry 5-6 mm booties. mystics are good. add thin 1-2 mm neoprene socks for xtra warmth.
a good 3 mm hood
helmet
synthetic first layer and fleece for under dry suit
small floatation vest in case you take on water. or you will drown.

with this gear you can kite until water freezes or it's too dark to see.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:54 pm 
Medium Poster

Just come up after 3 hours session in Klitmøller in my 3/2. Still warm up here. Oki i was wavesurfing and not kitesurfing but right know you can buy a 6/5/4 Rip-Curl Flashbomb for 2799:- under the PWA event her ;)

Peter: When do you come next time?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:28 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Hasse wrote:
Just come up after 3 hours session in Klitmøller in my 3/2. Still warm up here. Oki i was wavesurfing and not kitesurfing but right know you can buy a 6/5/4 Rip-Curl Flashbomb for 2799:- under the PWA event her ;)

Peter: When do you come next time?

Yes - you are right - it is extremely warm here in DK right now...
I use my old 3/2 short sleeved summer suit which is fine.

But some are just more cold than others, and thats a fact, so different needs and one has to respect that 8)

We go up to Slettestrand (Sct Olufs Kilde) tomorrow, but I guess you are out at Hanstholm :thumb:

Would be great to come to the PWA, but not time as it is after work hours :wink:

Looks like another 5-6-7m2 day tomorrow just like "always" :rollgrin:

:D Peter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:57 pm 
Frequent Poster

Wet or dry suit it doesnt matter.
I use both and have many of. Either way the wetsuits made by "surfing" companies have a lot to be desired and are often fashion over function.
By far my warmest suit is a made to measure titanium lined Elios Wetsuit two piece 7 mm
thats 14mm over the torso and as flexible as a "surfing" 3mm but needs a bit of care as the neoprene is less dense. They will do them in 9mm as well!! these are for hours in ice water.
Cons... pain in the ass to put on and take off and that is where the drysuit wins.
Just got a new Seac 7mm free like most of my suits :thumb: which should be good for this winter. If you want to keep using a wetsuit though you will have to move away from the traditional surfing suits. Drysuits, take your pick membrane or neoprene. if its neoprene mtm no boots membrane seals is the way to go and you will easily manage 8 hours on the water if its Heiwa/Yamamoto or Sheico. Fairly bulletproof too even flooded. Membrane suits...they are OK and I have a few but have a few too many issues in my view if the water is seriously cold.
I can`t wait to move to the tropics!!!

[ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next