Forum for kitesurfers
kitenb
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Naish Skater or Global

Postby kitenb » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:28 pm

I'm currently looking at replacing my 5'5 Caution Trespass and am considering one of these Naish boards. This will be my go to board for 18 to 35mph plus winds. I have a board I ride for anything lighter than this. I weigh 170lbs. Typically, onshore knee to head high surf, choppy at times. I typically ride with straps, but will ride strapless from time to time. We don't have great waves that line up for days, so I am not parking the kite and really "surfing" the wave that much. Mainly like to do aggressive bottom turns, hit the section hard, then come at it again if any of the wave left.

Also need the board to get me back upwind good, as we have a decent current that typically runs with the wind. Been using the 5'5 Caution Trespass for over 4 years, and it works great...just busting out too many fin boxes on it, and I need to figure out something different.

I've read over a lot of the older posts comparing the two boards, and it seems like the main deciding factor is if you want to ride with straps, or without. But, I'll be doing both, so that makes it tough. I also want something I can't do aggressive bottom turns on, without sliding out. I'm leaning towards the Skater board, but don't know if that is the right call or not. Also, if I did go that route, is the 5'4 the right call, or is the 5'9 the call?

Sorry for all the questions, and know there is no perfect board for everything..... Just hoping someone has some recommendations off of riding these two.. and, can maybe direct me towards the better size....

thanks

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Naish Skater or Global

Postby tautologies » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:16 pm

kitenb wrote: I also want something I can't do aggressive bottom turns on, without sliding out
Do you mean you do NOT want something that you cannot do aggressive bottom turns with?

Just from what you write, I think the global might be a better option. Now I LOVE the skaters big time, and I ride the 4'8'' and 5'4'' a lot.. I have ridden the bigger one quite a bit too...but find the smaller ones easier for air., and though you CAN certainly go with quite a bit of power, the power you generate with a kite is a lot.

I have never ridden the skaters with straps, but can imagine the 5'4'' and 4'8'' to work with them. I do know a guy that loves his with straps. I would probably not use the bigger skater with straps.

Now for the global, if you go for the medium size I am sure that will rock strapless too. Check out some of the videos from naish you can clearly see they are using the global strapless when the wave size increases. When the wind increases the global is a lot easier to handle both in terms of chop and power.
The Naish boards comes with solid fins. I tried some plastic fin to loosen up the ride, and snapped them on the first top turn.

I'd say if this is for your aggressive / powered riding go global. If you do go skater, then go with the 5'4'' for sure. :-)

As far as I can see the skater + global lineup has been the best Naish has had for a long time. yeah yeah I know I like a lot of the Naish boards, but I have ridden these a lot...barely take out my other boards anymore.

Also something to consider: The skater does not come with straps. Global comes with straps, bag and quad fins and 5 boxes. Skater is thruster. except the 4'8'' which is twin.
Last edited by tautologies on Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PAFF
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Frestyle and waves. Always unhookt
Brand Affiliation: Slingshot-Naish-Cabrinha-North-Best-Surftech.

Postby PAFF » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:39 pm

I love the skater, best ride ever strapless..

But from what you wrote, take the 5.10 Global..

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:15 pm

PAFF wrote:I love the skater, best ride ever strapless..

But from what you wrote, take the 5.10 Global..
PAFF have you tried the new ones? :D

kitenb
Frequent Poster

Postby kitenb » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:22 pm

sorry..typo... want something I CAN do aggressive bottom turns on...

thanks for the great feedback guys. Much appreciated.

mduhaime
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Hood River, OR
Gear: Naish

Postby mduhaime » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:43 pm

The new 2013 Global 5'8" is amazing and exactly what you are describing you want.

kitenb
Frequent Poster

Postby kitenb » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:27 am

Mduhaime,

How's the low end on the 5'8 Global? Does it get up and go pretty well in the lighter winds(say 17-20mph)..?? Although I'll use it when it is blowing 35mph plus, the majority of my time on it based off of the conditions here, will be when it is blowing around 20mph...

thanks

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:34 am

kitenb wrote:Mduhaime,

How's the low end on the 5'8 Global? Does it get up and go pretty well in the lighter winds(say 17-20mph)..?? Although I'll use it when it is blowing 35mph plus, the majority of my time on it based off of the conditions here, will be when it is blowing around 20mph...

thanks
On what kite? :-)

kitenb
Frequent Poster

Postby kitenb » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:36 am

10m Blade Trigger. It gets me going in 15mph on my light wind board (placebo surf skate)... and would get me going on my Caution 5'5 Trespass in about 17 to 18mph.

mduhaime
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Hood River, OR
Gear: Naish

Postby mduhaime » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:30 pm

The Global isn't designed for low end, it has rocker in both the nose and the tail. I think once you get up towards 20mph you'll be fine, but if your more concerned with low end, the Skater has a flatter wider tail that planes easier.

Return to “Kitesurfing”