All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Bucket method for rigging kite lines from a boat
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:02 pm 
Frequent Poster

ronnie wrote:
but the front lines dont roll anywhere near as much toward the centre of the kite as the IDS bridle does.

thank you for making that distinction, it is very true that bridle and canopy shape / design have a lot to do with the effectiveness of double center line "flag out" or disable systems.

as for the actual drift launch, i have experience drifting many different kites, and as with almost everything in this sport some shapes / kites consistently do better (or worse) than others. so far i have found it is possible with all, and have also found that problems (of all so far mentioned natures) are also possible with all.

ronnie: thats also a very good comment about how instructional videos should explain things that can potentially go wrong (and how to see it coming, and deal with it) that type of things is rarely covered.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:22 am 
Frequent Poster

All excellent comments and suggestions for us. I know most guys are used to just winding lines off the bar so the bucket doesn't seem necessary (and its not). We just find it as a good organizer for the lines that let us feed the lines out more smoothly with less snag hazards. We did not make this video for the advanced drift launchers. It was more for guys like us who were just looking to see how others were working through the issues.

The next time we video this, I am going to put the kite in the water first and feed the lines out from the bucket as a one man operation. The point of controversy here will be that I think that using the bucket, I can actually have the chicken loop and bar hooked to the back of the boat (ski rope attachment) while I let the kite out. This way, if something goes bad, I don't have to let the kite go as I would if I were holding the bar. I am sure I will face the wrath of some experts for saying that, but I think it will work out fine.

I look forward to trying some of the other methods mentioned.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:04 am 
Medium Poster

We use a slightly different method for boat launching which seems to work well.

Set up your kite on a beach or somewhere with the lines attached and laid out straight behind it.
Roll up the lines carefully onto the bar, stop a few metres short of the kite and half hitch (clove hitch) the lines onto the bar, carefully pack up the kite making sure not to place the bar through any bridles etc.

When boat is in position and you are ready to launch, (before pumping up the kite) start feeding the lines out the back of the boat (or get a friend to do this whilst you are pumping up) they will take a while to feed right out but eventually you should have the lines in a big loop behind the boat, with the bar on one side (tied to the boat with a rope to the chicken loop) and the kite/bridle end on the other at the stern, with no tangles or loops etc.

Then pump up the kite and place in the water beside the boat with the leading edge down and pointing pretty much into the wind but slightly away from the boat, some kites will sit well like this but with some it helps to splash a little bit of water onto the canopy just to keep it a bit steadier.
The kite should drift back slowly and when the lines get tension it will start to turn and fill wih air and either move to the edge of the window or turn around completely and fill with air directly downwind.
By pulling on one back line you should be able to bring the kite around and launch it as a normal water launch, then either hook in and go, or place the kite back on its wingtip at the edge of the window with the chickenloop still attached to the boat, it should just sit there until you are ready to go.
I found this to be the most reliable and easy way to boat launch.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:08 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Tightlines wrote:
We use a slightly different method for boat launching which seems to work well.

Set up your kite on a beach or somewhere with the lines attached and laid out straight behind it.
Roll up the lines carefully onto the bar, stop a few metres short of the kite and half hitch (clove hitch) the lines onto the bar, carefully pack up the kite making sure not to place the bar through any bridles etc.

When boat is in position and you are ready to launch, (before pumping up the kite) start feeding the lines out the back of the boat (or get a friend to do this whilst you are pumping up) they will take a while to feed right out but eventually you should have the lines in a big loop behind the boat, with the bar on one side (tied to the boat with a rope to the chicken loop) and the kite/bridle end on the other at the stern, with no tangles or loops etc.

Then pump up the kite and place in the water beside the boat with the leading edge down and pointing pretty much into the wind but slightly away from the boat, some kites will sit well like this but with some it helps to splash a little bit of water onto the canopy just to keep it a bit steadier.
The kite should drift back slowly and when the lines get tension it will start to turn and fill wih air and either move to the edge of the window or turn around completely and fill with air directly downwind.
By pulling on one back line you should be able to bring the kite around and launch it as a normal water launch, then either hook in and go, or place the kite back on its wingtip at the edge of the window with the chickenloop still attached to the boat, it should just sit there until you are ready to go.
I found this to be the most reliable and easy way to boat launch.

Sounds like you are drifting the kite away like this? I notice he walks to the side (to the rear side of the kite) so that the kite will turn the correct way when the lines tighten. Might be necessary to make sure the boat doesn't move to the nose side of the kite while its drifting?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:50 am 
Medium Poster

Yep Ronnie that shows the drift perfectly and 9 times out of 10 the drift/launch is that easy.

In my situation the boat is usually anchored and if the kite is placed at the right angle (just like in that video) it will drift back and to the side of the boat and pretty much launch itself and sit there waiting for you.

If it happens to end up directly downwind behind the boat it's no drama just launch by pulling a back line.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:37 pm 
Frequent Poster

KYLakeKiter wrote:
have the chicken loop and bar hooked to the back of the boat (ski rope attachment) while I let the kite out.

i would strongly recommend not attaching the harness loop to anything. (or at least be very prepared to unhook it or open it in a hurry if you do hook it to something). kite flips into the air 3/4 of the way out, with an outside line hooked on a wingtip and it will do some damage if it is tied off.

line snags arent that big of a deal, you'll get good at avoiding them (just like kiters get good at everything else, with practice)

if you drift it solo off the boat, i would recommend attaching your leash to the kill line (leash line) on the bar, and just holding the harness loop in your hand. if things go bad let the harness loop go, disabling the kite onto the leash. this leaves you with a dsabled kite hanging from the leash line, you can fix it quick from that point.

it happens, not a ton, but regularly. maybe 1 in 30 of mine have issues, almost none result in a fail in which i have to pull the kite back in and restart. (maybe 1 in a hundred, but i don't event think its that many)

but again, its not a good idea to attach the harness loop to boat, its asking for trouble.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:21 pm 
Frequent Poster

Thanks bnthere. I agree and understand your concern. We have already done this several times, but it has always been in light winds. We generally use this technique when we get to our spot and the wind is so light that we are just putting the kite out to "kite fish" while we wait for the wind to pick up. I just wanted to show how it works, but you are probably right that this would be demonstrating a bad habbit that will be a problem once the odds catch up to us.

As for our real habbits here on Kentucky Lake, with any significant wind (for us that is anytime the kite is likely to launch itself without input), we always swim the bar out, keeping control of the kite until we are sure our lines are right, and then drift the kite away from the boat before launching. This is the safest (but not the fastest) method we have found.

One thing we have not mentioned on this post is that as long as the anchor, boat and kite are all drifting downwind of each other it is relatively easy to get the kite away from the boat. Occasionally here, when there is a strong current that is opposite of the wind, the guy in the water, and the kite go opposite directions which can put the kite too close to the boat, and as Murphy would have it, the kite usually heads right for the boat once the lines get tension. This situation is manageable, but you need to put a little more thought into which side of the boat to swim out to, and where the kite is likely to go.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:09 pm 
Frequent Poster

ya cool, you guys know what your doing. keep shredding appalachia or wherever unlikely place your at. cruise to SPI next time you need a fix for some sick conditions, feel free to message me if you need travel details.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:47 am 
Frequent Poster

:lol: That is hilarious! I am not quite far enough east to be in Appalachia, but I wish I was because "Shedding it in Appalachia" would be the most awsomely random and unlikely slogan I could ever imagine. If anyone ever copywrites that, you should get credit. :lol:

I travel down to Corpus every now and then, so I will have to make the trip down to SPI while I am there some time. :thumb:

[ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2