Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Cabrinha IDS malfunction

Forum for kitesurfers
IWB2
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Re: Cabrinha IDS malfunction

Postby IWB2 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:58 pm

pmaggie wrote:IBW2, sorry I'm actually helping as much as you did. You simply posted a link with a Cab advertising video and told JTBird he has no excuse for not having untwisted the lines. I'm telling him to try a different brand, that's all.
Pmaggie,
Correct. One of the posts i sent to JTBird was a video which clearly showed how to untwist his lines. He said he had a 2012 Cabrinha kite and was complaining that he couldnt untwist the center lines which seemed very strange as the 2012 system makes it extremely easy to adjust center lines. In addition to explaining how to untwist the center lines I also thought that sending a video would be good. JTBird has now corrected his post to say that it is not a 2012 Cabrinha system but a 2011 system.

I have been involved in many many self rescues and self lands (well over 100) since the introduction of the IDS in 2009 in winds range from 10-40+kts and have never experienced any issues that JTBird is describing. Therefore my first instinct is that he is doing something wrong and maybe can tweak his technique so to ensure everything goes as should be. I for the most part fly the Cabrinha Switchblades and 9.9/10 they will end up on their leading edge down when releasing the QR1 onto the IDS line. In the rare case when releasing the QR1 do they fly on their back, and this is still never an issue as the self rescue and self land process is still the same ie being very easy and controled. In the event the user does not do the self land and self rescue process correctly and cause the kite to power up , the user has the option of releasing the kite instantly.

JTBird,
What move are you throwing only in one direction? It does sound like you are spinning so many times in only one direction that now when it comes to releasing your safety the iDS line wont slide. This will be the case for any system whether it be 5th line, single front line or IDS type system.

This method of untwisting your front lines might help. If you have access to a shallow area which is safe enough away from danger, gently rest your kite down on the edge of the window. Put both hands on the chickenloop, unhook and twist the chickenloop until your center lines are back untwisted. Hook back in and off you go again. You can do this method in deep water, however, best practised in the shallow water first.

I am tempted to do a test using the Cabrinha Switchblade using the 2011 lines and seeing how many twists of the center lines will be needed to stop the IDS line from working. My guess it has to be well over 10 twists which would mean for example, ten back rolls in only one direction The twisting issue is really only an issue ever for intermediate riders that are learning to front roll, back roll, kite loop, downloop in only one direction. Beginners are learning to ride and advanced riders will spin in both direction in at least one move if not all, thus never having many center line twists.

The minute i finish a kite session, I will always ensure my center lines are not twisted, so that walking out the lines for the next session is a breeze.

fishy
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby fishy » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:13 am

That would be a useful test for 2011 models :thumb: ... or learn to do rotations the other way :D

robertovillate
Very Frequent Poster

Postby robertovillate » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:27 am

jteabird wrote:I'm thinking of starting a new thread called " Cabrinha please free upgrade my 2011 IDS " It's like having a 1 year old car with factory defective air bags and the manufacture is aware of it. Rather that fix the defective airbags they tell you not to drive your 1 year old car over 5 miles an hour and you should b ok. Most beginner and intermediate riders can only do backroll in one direction. I remember landing my first backroll, it took me lots of tries and several days. When I landed it was the greatest feeling followed by the worst feeling that my IDS safety system now won't function if I need it because I can only do trick in one direction. Ronnie is correct that the kite will still has lots of power in the smile position if the kite relaunches after activating the IDS I think it's only appropriate that cabrinha offer free upgrade my 2011 IDS to one that will actually deploy. Thanks
Sadly this issue was raised way back in 2009 when they came out with this IDS (I'm a Dumb Shite for believeing it) system. Even some of the nobs on here who poo-pooed the criticism seem to have finally gotten there nose out of others' arses and are recognizing this. Watch out though cuz the posse from this company might set upon you like locusts with their little personal attacks for making any negative but true statements about their product...instead of admitting the problem and fixing their design. I just don't get that...but people seem to keep buying into the hype and propaganda....comical but dangerous. Why can't they come up with a better system instead of banging on with this rubbish they call IDS?

jteabird
Frequent Poster

Postby jteabird » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:33 am

With all due respect I don't care about models as it will be very different depending on kits size and wind speed and position of the kite when the IDS is activated What I do feel is that I was mislead by cabrinha advertising videos etc Just watch for yourself. The IDS rarely functions how it does in the video. They do not talk about the kite inverting and relaunching after activating the IDS. They do not talk about having a few twist in your lines and your IDS system not able to work properly. Cabrinha will you please do the wright thing abd offer free upgrades to a current model so that will have a properly function safety system as you advertised. For the record I love the kite

IWB2
Very Frequent Poster

Postby IWB2 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:15 am

JTeabird,
When you push away your QR1 to self land or self rescue, do you pull yourself up the IDS line and continue to push the bar away so to allow the bar to slide up the full length of the IDS line? If the kite flips on its back and hovers (rare for the SB model - mainly rolls on leading edge down), I would just continue to wrap up the lines on the bar. As Ronnie stated in his last post, the kite pulls very lightly, like if you were holding the leading edge when walking your kite up the beach. He did note that the kite does pull more when conditions are overpowering. You mentioned that you have several SB sizes. Do you have an issue doing a self land/rescue with all the sizes? Is it possible that you can give the detailed rundown of how you are going about doing your self rescue using the IDS system? Do you wrap your lines on the bar or do you walk up your lines when doing a self rescue?

pmaggie
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Gera Lario, Como Lake, Italy
Favorite Beaches: Lo Stagnone (Marsala, Sicily - Italy) - Soma Bay (Egipt) - Cabarete (Dom Rep.) - Kite beach (Maui)
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR4 11, Core Riot XR 7, Core Riot XR2 15, Flysurfer Speed 5 21, Flysurfer Sonic 3 13
Shinn Bronq 136x42, Shinn Bronq XL

Postby pmaggie » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:48 am

I don't know what about the 2011, but in the 2010 video posted by Ronnie is quite clear that the IDS system is engineered to make the kite place in the "U" position when you QR, not LE down. Obviously in the video there are no line twisting issue, the guy simply activate the QR. But also in the 2012 video posted by IBW2 it seems the behaviour is the same. When the guy QR, the kite lands with (apparent) slight residual power on one side. In both videos, you never see the kite going LE down with no power. The "U" position, in my opinion is less safe when it's time to self rescue. Let's say you're winding your lines on the bar and by mistake you pull a back line more than the other lines: if the wind is strong, the kite will try to get ariborne again. It will probably can't if you fixed the leash line on the bar but it's scaring anyway. If the kite stays LE down, it's much easier and safer to swim and wind the lines.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:32 pm

2011 IDS when activated the kite falls to the edge of the window, then rolls downwind and sits on the water in the parked position, leading edge down as if it was sitting on the beach. This has worked (eventually) every time we have used it. Sometimes instantly and sometimes in lighter winds it hesitates a bit but then rolls over.

The only thing negative I have to say about the system is the length of the bridals. They have a tendency to wrap around the top of the kite, turning the kite inside out when you give the lines excessive slack, such as riding too quickly toward the kite and crashing it... when you try to relaunch the bridals will likely be wrapped.

KiteschoolHolland
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands, Wijk aan Zee
Favorite Beaches: Brazil, Tremembe
Style: Old school
Gear: Evo, Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: Mostly North

Postby KiteschoolHolland » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:02 pm

KiteboardingTampaBay wrote: I still think a single front line is the safest, followed by a REAL 5th line.
On a single front line the kite hangs off-center, less balanced than on 2 or on 5th.
I see it moving a lot more.
Why do you think it's safest?

Johnny Rotten
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Surf and wake
Gear: Vegas
Torch
Neo's
Hand made boards of pure excellence

Postby Johnny Rotten » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:21 pm

Laughingman wrote:2011 IDS when activated the kite falls to the edge of the window, then rolls downwind and sits on the water in the parked position, leading edge down as if it was sitting on the beach. This has worked (eventually) every time we have used it. Sometimes instantly and sometimes in lighter winds it hesitates a bit but then rolls over.

The only thing negative I have to say about the system is the length of the bridals. They have a tendency to wrap around the top of the kite, turning the kite inside out when you give the lines excessive slack, such as riding too quickly toward the kite and crashing it... when you try to relaunch the bridals will likely be wrapped.

Dude take your kite loop it 3 times in the same direction (untangling your steering lines in between). or do three back rolls in the same direction on the same tack to cross up your front lines a little and then tell us how well it works.......

Return to “Kitesurfing”