All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: learning to ride Sector - Use 4:1 depower or start with
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:05 am 
Frequent Poster

droffats wrote:
Not to sound arrogant, but I don't thing there is such a thing as learning to ride a Sector. It's just get on it and go.

I'm not a racist but ...
Not to be chauvinistic but ...
Not that I hate gays but ...

If you have to start with the disclaimer ... :nono: :nono: :lol:
couldn't resist -- as I said in the first post, never been on a directional before. I am expecting some learning curve to figure out the tacks & gybes. Appreciate the good advice though, will add the depower later

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:43 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Waukegan Illinois on lake michigan. I think they do at least one race a year down your way in the Miami area. Our local kite fest and one race of the year is next weekend. To bad I broke my ribs Wed. :(

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:22 am 
Frequent Poster

Damn that stinks.
Waukegan is almost closer than Miami from here!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:54 pm 
Medium Poster

knot_moving wrote:
yuko wrote:
Ahmm...I myslef am a Sector rider since the beginning of the seson, I may sound stupid but what is 4:1 depower and why would it be needed for the Sector?

So how's it going - and what was your experience level when you started?

Doing good, been windsurfing for 3 years and jumped on kiting this year, got Sector as my first bord.
Can jybe to toe-side and then do a good tack staying toe-side and not losing any ground and then, carve back to heel-side. I have to say that I had much higher succes rate at it when I had surf-fins on it. Once I put regular fins, I started to wipe out alot, need to readjust. Upwind drive is very good, was out in 25knts yestarday on 9m and was the highest upwind in the on shore wind.
I can't seem to go as fast as I wish to go in when it get's crazy choppy here but when water get's little flatter and it's 20knts - damn, what an adrenaline though.

I would not want to steal the thread but, I seem to become quickly overpowered on sector, be it on 12m in 12 knts or 9m in 15-20knts. It has to do something with apparent wind I guess? I always ride with trim depower strap fully pulled in and still become easyly overpowered once this thing picks up speed. Any tips on that?

I weigh 175lbs and ride 52cm sector.
Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:43 pm 
Rare Poster

When riding a course board i.e. Sector, other production board or custom it is so important to keep your posture straight. The idea of having a 4:1 system is that you can sit back on your heels with your legs straight and constantly be powering and depowering the kite. By doing this you allow the power transfer to be much further to windward and lower so the effect is much greater. I find it almost impossible to ride a Course Board without a good trim system. There is so much power being transferred through your body that you need someway to regulate and control it.
In regards to apparent wind, yes you do create much more apparent wind because the foils/fins are more efficient than the edge of a twin tip.
Not meaning to shamelessly promote but check out. http://www.brockcallen.com/gorilla-racing-bar.html
Hope this helps

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:49 pm 
Medium Poster

BrockDub wrote:
In regards to apparent wind, yes you do create much more apparent wind because the foils/fins are more efficient than the edge of a twin tip.

Hope this helps

Right! But could you give us an advice on what to do then? I mean, when getting quickly overpowered? Should I get myself a 7m kite while other are on 11-12m ? Only thing that helps is sort of edging hard but this kills the planning condition which is already hard to maintain in heavy chop. I'm trying to ride my Sector as flat as possible by kind of standing straight on it. Works fine untill I start to go too fast and then I have to edge and edge and kind of loose plane.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:05 pm 
Medium Poster

yuko wrote:
Right! But could you give us an advice on what to do then? I mean, when getting quickly overpowered? Should I get myself a 7m kite while other are on 11-12m ?

On 70cm course boards with 40cm+ fins yes you will need to go down a size(2-3m) in kite.
But on older race boards(pre-2011) and any edging board you don't.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:16 pm 
Rare Poster

Yes definitely go down a few Kite Sizes.
You may find you have to work the kite a little harder to get on a plane but once you are on the plane you dont need alot of kite like you do an a twintip.
SO for instance in 12 Knots of wind I am on my 15M
15 Knots of Wind I am on 12M
20 Knots of Wind I am on 9 or 10M

You may also try some line extensions. They get the kite higher in the air where it is often windier they also allow larger kite cycles.

I ride 30M or 32M normally.

[ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2