Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Naish: Come Fly With Me

Postby Toby » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:45 pm

COME FLY WITH ME

When winds are light, the FLY will get you out on the water and having fun in no time! The range of the kite is amazing. Check out three riders, Alexis Aguera (115lbs/50kg), Robby Naish (175lbs/80kgs) and Chuck Patterson (225lbs/100kg) all powered up and riding in really light winds.

Watch it now!

https://vimeo.com/49808025

Attachments
Thumbnail_FLYvideo.jpg

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Naish: Come Fly With Me

Postby plummet » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:32 pm

hahah. the power of a 17 with the turning of a 12! does it pump like a 6? what a load of marketing crap.

get out the wind meter and show some light wind. riding in offshore conditions right behind a sand bar or small island is doing to look buttery smooth and light. it could be 15 knots easily... how do we know? we don't,,....

What don't they show how the kite performs in swell waves and whitewash in light wind? why because it wont be performing that well,/..... aaaarrrg!.

ps this rant is not aimed directly at naish. but any company that shows there kites in potentially missleading ways.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:42 pm

plummet wrote:hahah. the power of a 17 with the turning of a 12! does it pump like a 6? what a load of marketing crap.

get out the wind meter and show some light wind. riding in offshore conditions right behind a sand bar or small island is doing to look buttery smooth and light. it could be 15 knots easily... how do we know? we don't,,....

What don't they show how the kite performs in swell waves and whitewash in light wind? why because it wont be performing that well,/..... aaaarrrg!.

ps this rant is not aimed directly at naish. but any company that shows there kites in potentially missleading ways.
Lol,

well if someone shows a wind meter, then that is criticized. I think the companies on this site has absolutely no where to go. There is NO way you can show anything to someone who chooses to be super skeptical about everything.

I generally do not think it is a good idea to show windmeters but who cares. You can see it is light. I know that spot. There is nothing to hide:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jE_xJu8YEzk

The spot they are riding, is notoriously light. It is usually about 5 mph less wind than Kailua. Nothing behind it that blocks wind on the surface. In fact there is nothing but water on all sides of them for over a mile in every direction.

If we do not let companies be excited about their products what kind of commercials do you want?

Ihave the kite it is a fantastic light wind weapon. Super fun on a strapless board in ultralight wind, or a TT..jumps in super light winds. In fact I'm bringing it down to the beach now :-)

Dirk
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: St. Peter Ording
Favorite Beaches: St. Peter Ording, Tarifa, Sylt
Style: Freeride, jumping, waves, foiling
Gear: Naish Pivot, Slash, Boxer, Global, Motion, Traverse, Hero, Naish Hover, Naish Surf Foil
Has thanked: 0

Postby Dirk » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:19 pm

I always love to watch Robby Naish riding directionals. That's the style I can relate most to being an ex-windsurfer, only somewhat younger than him, weekend warrior. Nice looking combo, the Fly and the Fish.

takunnn
Rare Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby takunnn » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:14 am

I think that in the video the wind was 13-16knots.. In this wind, 9m-10m kites can ride, too. :lol:
Why isn't there more videos of naish fly??? :naughty:

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:31 am

takunnn wrote:I think that in the video the wind was 13-16knots.. In this wind, 9m-10m kites can ride, too. :lol:
Why isn't there more videos of naish fly??? :naughty:

How to you come up with that estimate?

The initial spot is kailua and at 13-16 knots you'd see 30 kites in the background...

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:34 am

tautologies wrote:
plummet wrote:hahah. the power of a 17 with the turning of a 12! does it pump like a 6? what a load of marketing crap.

Lol,

well if someone shows a wind meter, then that is criticized. I think the companies on this site has absolutely no where to go. There is NO way you can show anything to someone who chooses to be super skeptical about everything.

I generally do not think it is a good idea to show windmeters but who cares. You can see it is light. I know that spot. There is nothing to hide:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jE_xJu8YEzk

The spot they are riding, is notoriously light. It is usually about 5 mph less wind than Kailua. Nothing behind it that blocks wind on the surface. In fact there is nothing but water on all sides of them for over a mile in every direction.

If we do not let companies be excited about their products what kind of commercials do you want?

Ihave the kite it is a fantastic light wind weapon. Super fun on a strapless board in ultralight wind, or a TT..jumps in super light winds. In fact I'm bringing it down to the beach now :-)

Ahh taut but i am not supercritical about everything. but they do show palms swaying i can see wind blowing at clothes. for the most part they are kiting on a reef thats very shallow. it could look like that at 18 knots. It looks to me to be 12+ knots based on those images. There is no reference to how windy it is so how can i make any judgement on how good the kite is in light wind. If the guy is busting those cool back roll transitions and its 6-8 knots i'm very very impressed. if its 15 knots i'm still impressed at the manuvour but not at the kites performance.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:01 am

plummet wrote: Ahh taut but i am not supercritical about everything. but they do show palms swaying i can see wind blowing at clothes. for the most part they are kiting on a reef thats very shallow. it could look like that at 18 knots. It looks to me to be 12+ knots based on those images. There is no reference to how windy it is so how can i make any judgement on how good the kite is in light wind. If the guy is busting those cool back roll transitions and its 6-8 knots i'm very very impressed. if its 15 knots i'm still impressed at the manuvour but not at the kites performance.
I wasn't really directing all of that towards you...so sorry if it seemed that way. What I mean is that all of us keyboard jockies would would probably have more industry on here if we were not super critical of everything.

My point is that is that I think now almost anything that a company does, will receive some form of critique. I am not suggesting that critique in it self is wrong, I am just saying that having a guy with a windmeter standing there doesn't really prove much either.

I can throw a front roll transition with the kite in winds where I didn't think I could go at all...but I am thinking it was more than 6 knots tho...

Now when that is said, I bet you $1 it is way less than 15 knots..because I know the hangtime you get at 15 knots :-)

I do agree though that it is hard to tell sometimes...

mduhaime
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Hood River, OR
Gear: Naish
Been thanked: 0

Postby mduhaime » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:46 am

Haters gonna hate. Such a sick kite. Just try it. When others are on big kites and skim boards, I can ride powered in boots and a high rocker twin tip. I'm 230 lbs... No wind speed claims, just proof when I look at the skinny guy next to me schlogging.

14ToeSide
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Sandy Spit
Gear: North, Ozone, Naish, Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: What ever works Best that year

Postby 14ToeSide » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:47 pm

I ride the Fly. I'm 245 lbs. try it, you might be surprised! I don't care what it turns like or feels like or how many pump strokes it takes to pump the kite. If it has the JUICE it gets +1!!!!

:happybirthday: :happybirthday: :happybirthday:

Return to “Kitesurfing”