All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Hydrofoils and Kite Sizes
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:15 pm 
Medium Poster

I'm really curious about hydrofoils and their use for light-wind riding. I've read that a much smaller kite size can be used with them. Can anyone comment on how much smaller of a kite can typically be used?

For example, if I'm using a 15M kite for light winds could I expect to drop down to a 12M or maybe even less? Sure, it will depend on conditions, the kite, rider skill, etc. - but ballpark estimate, what's the advantage gained with a foilboard?

Thanks!

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: Hydrofoils and Kite Sizes
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:36 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Well, all you need any size for is to get you out of the water. Once you know how to ride and are a little more comfortable on the board you might not need a bigger kite than a 10. Depending on your weight and IMO the kite.
To say it this way...I am 190lb and rode a 9 Bolt when people were barely making it on big kites. Now it would have been more comfortable to ride a 10 or 12 probably but I made it upwind, and could generate enough power....

Post subject: Re: Hydrofoils and Kite Sizes
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:51 pm 
Medium Poster

Hi

Due to less drag of the board, you can expect to use around 20-25% smaller kite compare to other kind of boards.

Here a short shoot in the La Baule KTE last Week end (last Saturday in the morning),
I was riding a 14m Notus with 4m extension lines (total of 28m line length)
The only raceboards on the water were riding 17m and were underpowered. I was full powered!
About the size of the kite in term of maximum size, it depends on your target.

My 2nd most used kite with a foil is 21m kite size, like this I'm full powered with around 5knots (going upwing, downwind, with the kite steady in the wind window)

Ride easy,
Nicolas

http://www.kiteforum.tv/index.php?optio ... baule_2012

[ 3 posts ]