Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm
Has thanked: 0

Re: self landing with stake

Postby SupaEZ » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:59 am

William Munney wrote:
SupaEZ wrote:
bnthere wrote:an 'object assisted' self land is not a cool trick. it is stupid and unneccessary. land your kite like a man by disabling it onto the leash line. (or dropping it onto its LE with tension on the high inside line, while being prepared to disable it onto the leash when you screw that up.)
Right to the point MR."been there done that"

I believe also it is more realistic to depend on a stake to launch...but landing no

Hey i am an sandbag man to launch (i bring an empty one to beach)
I launch on a dime with zero wear on my kite...no sliding around..just pops right up every time

Those who depend on stakes here are some questions
What if the wind shifts drastically direction and you can no longer find a safe spot for kite to land it
What if you end up downwind or away from stake and must land at once
What if the beach becomes crowded with kites on it and "your" exact spot is taken to land

Too much precision and time is required to detach yourself and attach all to the stake

............................ :surf: :sun: ........................................................................
You put the sandbag on a bent over wing tip and let it roll off?
On a Rebel just just cannot bend over the wingtip...many types of kites are way too stiff at wingtips

Actually the empty sandbag that i buy for 0.79 cents at Ace Hardware (hurricane sandbag)....
...is draped 1/4 to 1/3 (of its total weight:20-30 lbs) over LE about 18 inches from very tip of wingtip
That distance is from center of bag

3/4 to 2/3 of the bag is off the kite...nothing actually goes the inside of the kite...just on the LE tip
The only time that the filled bag is in the kite is while i set up...(P.S. "flatten" the bag when draping)

You see i always launch with the kite laying on its back exactly parallel to the wind flow
The trailing edge in line with the wind flow....just toss some sand in the air before you launch....
....to double check that the wind has not shifted while setting up.

I position myself at a 45 degree angle from the kite to launch it...pull more on the leeward backline...
....when walking backward to launch...the kite's LE just peels right off EZ from under the bag....
...the moment that the Leeward wingtip rises up and catches the wind

To all the other readers... i am sorry that this is "off the topic about self-landing"

Thank you! Hope this helps you a bit William !

.......................... :surf: :sun: ..........................................

William Munney
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: West Meadow, GSB
Gear: North X-Ride, Airush Sector 60, North Rebels, 6m, 7m, 9m, 12m, 16m
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby William Munney » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:23 am

On a Rebel just just cannot bend over the wingtip...many types of kites are way too stiff at wingtips

Actually the empty sandbag that i buy for 0.79 cents at Ace Hardware (hurricane sandbag)....
...is draped 1/4 to 1/3 (of its total weight:20-30 lbs) over LE about 18 inches from very tip of wingtip
That distance is from center of bag

3/4 to 2/3 of the bag is off the kite...nothing actually goes the inside of the kite...just on the LE tip
The only time that the filled bag is in the kite is while i set up...(P.S. "flatten" the bag when draping)

You see i always launch with the kite laying on its back exactly parallel to the wind flow
The trailing edge in line with the wind flow....just toss some sand in the air before you launch....
....to double check that the wind has not shifted while setting up.

I position myself at a 45 degree angle from the kite to launch it...pull more on the leeward backline...
....when walking backward to launch...the kite's LE just peels right off EZ from under the bag....
...the moment that the Leeward wingtip rises up and catches the wind

To all the other readers... i am sorry that this is "off the topic about self-landing"

Thank you! Hope this helps you a bit William !

.......................... :surf: :sun: ..........................................[/quote]

Thanks. I've been using loose sand on the inside of the canopy which I'd prefer not to do. I'm going to get a sandbag. I also hate putting sand on my clean, dry kite to secure it after landing.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:00 am

Jono 111 wrote: Also....drift launching is a cinch as well.....as is stake launching, which is also great depending on location. But stake landing? No thanks....

I don't get it why not land on a teather? its so easy. hook your chick loop up disconnect the safety and walk up to the kite win one hand on the top line. that keep the kite undercontrol. teathered land is easier than teathered launch.

ps i refuse to use an actual stake incase it tears out of the ground. I'll teather to the solid object.

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:27 am

plummet wrote: ps i refuse to use an actual stake incase it tears out of the ground. I'll teather to the solid object.
Solid is OK, (like my van tailor hitch) ; I'm being convinced that the heavy bag of sand may
be better though ; it will absorb a gust as it slides over the ground, keeping the line tension
to the kite more equal. Also if there is no sand, rocks do fine in a canvas duffel bag ; it's
a great place to put the wet gear for the ride home as well !!

Bille

JGTR
Very Frequent Poster

Postby JGTR » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:22 am

What if the wind shifts drastically direction and you can no longer find a safe spot for kite to land it - leash out, move stake, use another part of beach - if beach is that small should u be there in the first place????
What if you end up downwind or away from stake and must land at once - leash out same as always!! Or find something to attach kite to.
What if the beach becomes crowded with kites on it and "your" exact spot is taken to land- if beach crowded then just get someone to land you!!!!

I've been using this method to launch and land for a few years now, never had a problem, I've used fences, benches, buoys, posts and even a bush before. Always controlled, no near misses or close calls. Light wind and high wind. Those of you who have a problem with this method just need to be quiet, you carry on doing it your way and we'll carry on doing it ours. It is by far the best way to launch/land apart from using another person (Altho I quite often prefer to self land than use some I don't know!!)

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: I travel all over the world.
Favorite Beaches: So many to list....
Style: MY OWN STYLE :-)
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.
Just try the EPICKITES and you will see for yourself.
Brand Affiliation: Owner of EPIC KITES

Postby Dimitri M » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:26 pm

You have different ways of SELF LANDING your kite. But it all depends of the wind conditions and its direction. Using a stick or an anchor on the water is always a good idea. But again this idea can be use in different ways once you master it and are very confident with your equipment and you know the aria well.
I hope this video will help you.

VIMEO:

kas911
Frequent Poster

Postby kas911 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:12 pm

Dimitri M wrote:You have different ways of SELF LANDING your kite. But it all depends of the wind conditions and its direction. Using a stick or an anchor on the water is always a good idea. But again this idea can be use in different ways once you master it and are very confident with your equipment and you know the aria well.
I hope this video will help you.

VIMEO:
Walking THROUGH the lines is just about the dumbest thing i have seen :jump:

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: I travel all over the world.
Favorite Beaches: So many to list....
Style: MY OWN STYLE :-)
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.
Just try the EPICKITES and you will see for yourself.
Brand Affiliation: Owner of EPIC KITES

Postby Dimitri M » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:22 pm

Walking THROUGH the lines is just about the dumbest thing i have seen :jump:
Yes Mr.kas911 you are correct it is not a good idea to be walking THROUGH your lines.
But when you are on a pier or on a very constrain space doing a self landing with no space around and the only way to get to your kite as fast as possible is walking THROUGH your lines, then "YES" it is dangerous but it is necessary to reach the kite as fast as possible so you can secure it. Call it what ever you want.........
But if you are self landing on the beach or on the water and you have plenty of space all around you, then you should walk around your lines in order to reach the kite and secure it. This is the safest and best way to do one of these self landing moves. And of course you do have few other ways of landing your kite by yourself. But again it depends of your surroundings.
Let me know if I can help you with anything else?
:remybussi:
Last edited by Dimitri M on Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bnthere
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island and South Texas USA

Hood River and the Columbia River Gorge USA
Favorite Beaches: South Padre Island Texas: year round the best flatwater and fall - winter - spring fun wave riding as well.
Style: all styles of kite riding
Gear: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Brand Affiliation: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Seadoo
Headzone

Postby bnthere » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:40 pm

plummet wrote:
walk up to the kite win one hand on the top line
this is an important phrase. when you do attach your kite to an object to assist in launching (or landing, or whatever purpose) maintain contact with one of the lines at all times (plummet is recommending the high inside line when heading back to control bar or approaching the kite because putting some pressure on it can help keep the kite from bouncing) i say the main reason is so that you can disable the kite by holding a line (any line) and running with it back toward the bar in order to "one line / flag out / disable" the kite if (when) there is an issue. technically either inside line will work to disable the kite onto.

kites sitting on their wingtip do get out of control, for various reasons, and should not be trusted simply attached to an inanimate object. a rider should maintain contact in a way that allows for the kite to be quickly disabled. thats the point.

otherwise (for plummet): i dont get it, why not land by disabling the kite onto the leash. its so easy. take the harness loop off, walk up the leash line (with your hands on it)....... and btw, i am not trying to put words in your posts, if i am off in my guess regarding the high inside line i apologize, but i'm pretty sure thats what you were talking about. i know you guys (there's a bunch of regulars), know what your doing and im not really trying to argue with you, but i am here now too with a lot of my own experiences that go beyond showing up at the beach and riding and going home, and based on what i see at kite beaches all over the place, a lot of my positions on the forum are probably going to be reinforcing basic and effective kite handling. so, just a heads up.

frankm1960
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: -Bayshore, at the end sea st. on saint John's west side, bay of fundy.
-Saints rest beach, at the end of sandy point road, irving nature park, saint john, west side.
Gear: Kites: 12m LF Mig, 9m LF Mig, 5m SS Fuel
Boards: LF proof 151cm, Real Wind 144cm, home made light wind board 160 x 50

Postby frankm1960 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:36 pm

bnthere wrote:
plummet wrote:
walk up to the kite win one hand on the top line
this is an important phrase. when you do attach your kite to an object to assist in launching (or landing, or whatever purpose) maintain contact with one of the lines at all times (plummet is recommending the high inside line when heading back to control bar or approaching the kite because putting some pressure on it can help keep the kite from bouncing) i say the main reason is so that you can disable the kite by holding a line (any line) and running with it back toward the bar in order to "one line / flag out / disable" the kite if (when) there is an issue. technically either inside line will work to disable the kite onto.

kites sitting on their wingtip do get out of control, for various reasons, and should not be trusted simply attached to an inanimate object. a rider should maintain contact in a way that allows for the kite to be quickly disabled. thats the point.
Have you done this before? your kite tethered, you run back to your bar all the while holding onto a line just in case the kite should take off? Has it ever taken off on you while walking back and you were able to "one line / flag out / disable" the kite because you were holding onto a line?

I don't see how you can hold a kite by one of those thin lines.

Also would you not have to first hit the QR before the kite will flag out? The bar is tethered to something by the CL. That would mean you have to make it all the way back to the CL, hit the QR and then the kite will flag out?

What you;re saying doesn't make one iota of sense to me but then I don't use a tethered land/launch technique.

I must be misunderstanding something here.

I do understand what plummet is saying about holding onto the top line to keep the kite from bouncing around... makes total sense to me. But I have no idea what you're talking about.

Return to “Kitesurfing”