Regfellow
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Ribban
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Self landing in heavy strong wind

Postby Regfellow » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:22 am

Windrider wrote:Here's advice that's about as useful as 5th line advice on a 4-line kite....

Whip out your kite knife and set it free!!
Knife? Why not a kite machete?

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:02 am

Bille wrote:
Bille

Bin listening a bunch on the 5th line thing ; the 2008 Edge is a 5-line, and
the 2010 Edge is a 4-line. I might should be scarred of that ?

nah mate the flag works evertime in my experience.

Unless you have your stopper ball on the flag out line set less than one kite span. then the kite loops like crazy. So check that and yourl be good.

Billy B.
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Strawberry, Big Bad UT Lake, Rush mudpuddle.
DC
Favorite Beaches: Strawberry, Rufus,, Hampton NH. San Diego lite wind ninja shit.
Style: Learning,... as in I am still learning.
Gear: 2014 north gear

All of it
North and Race boards
North twin tip and directional yummyness.
Surfboard and strapless play stuff.
Brand Affiliation: I am a North snowkite athlete.

Postby Billy B. » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:24 pm

plummet wrote:
Bille wrote:
Bille

Bin listening a bunch on the 5th line thing ; the 2008 Edge is a 5-line, and
the 2010 Edge is a 4-line. I might should be scarred of that ?

nah mate the flag works evertime in my experience.

Unless you have your stopper ball on the flag out line set less than one kite span. then the kite loops like crazy. So check that and yourl be good.

The fith line is not the saftey on Ozone five line kites.

unbob
Medium Poster
Local Beach: The Gorge
La Ventana
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana
The Gorge
Style: Free/surf
Gear: Vader 5'1"
North Neo 6/8/10m

Postby unbob » Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:58 am

Jono 111 wrote:I'm not trying to be facetious, but the North 5th line always makes it a doddle.

If anything goes wrong, you release to the 5th and the kite is dead, no power, no risks. They happen to be great kites too...I've been caught out with a big kite (14) on a number pf occassions when the front moves in and the wind ramps from 16 kt to 30-35 kt....the reach back in is never easy, but knowing that as soon as you get in, you can eject to full safety immediately is massively helpful.
I mostly agree. But my experience (with the North 5th line) is that when you push the QR, the kite is de-powered but is not "dead". Instead, the kite will sit on the water and then when hit with a gust will fly on the 5th line. It will eventually drop back onto the water and then alternate between "sitting/resting" on the water and "flying" when a gust hits. It's no big deal but you kinda look like a dork with your kite flying upside-down!

frankm1960
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: -Bayshore, at the end sea st. on saint John's west side, bay of fundy.
-Saints rest beach, at the end of sandy point road, irving nature park, saint john, west side.
Gear: Kites: 12m LF Mig, 9m LF Mig, 5m SS Fuel
Boards: LF proof 151cm, Real Wind 144cm, home made light wind board 160 x 50

Postby frankm1960 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:15 pm

unbob wrote:
Jono 111 wrote:I'm not trying to be facetious, but the North 5th line always makes it a doddle.

If anything goes wrong, you release to the 5th and the kite is dead, no power, no risks. They happen to be great kites too...I've been caught out with a big kite (14) on a number pf occassions when the front moves in and the wind ramps from 16 kt to 30-35 kt....the reach back in is never easy, but knowing that as soon as you get in, you can eject to full safety immediately is massively helpful.
I mostly agree. But my experience (with the North 5th line) is that when you push the QR, the kite is de-powered but is not "dead". Instead, the kite will sit on the water and then when hit with a gust will fly on the 5th line. It will eventually drop back onto the water and then alternate between "sitting/resting" on the water and "flying" when a gust hits. It's no big deal but you kinda look like a dork with your kite flying upside-down!
You should be able to adjust the position of your 5th line stopper ball no?
Try moving it closer to the bar... this increases the tension a little bit on the flying lines when the bar is released and resting against the stopper ball. Don't need to move it much, maybe 6" or less. This should keep the kite "flying" upside down.

Return to “Kitesurfing”