Local Beach: Montauk
Style: NA
Gear: NA
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

kite bladder popped...twice

Postby jblates1 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:14 pm

so i recently got a griffin kite, was on the beach overpumped it and the strut closest to one side popped right at the end closest to the trailing edge. After a few weeks i got another strut free of charge. Just now i replaced it following all the directions on here. Pumped it up to 5 psi and was holding air just fine. Until i made sure the bladder was seated properly anddd ppop. It popped again on the same side in the same place. What is going on? is this my fault? i followed every instruction to a t. So i threw some duct tape on it and it seems to be holding air now. But why is this happening?

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Re: kite bladder popped...twice

Postby tautologies » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:25 pm

jblates1 wrote:so i recently got a griffin kite, was on the beach overpumped it and the strut closest to one side popped right at the end closest to the trailing edge. After a few weeks i got another strut free of charge. Just now i replaced it following all the directions on here. Pumped it up to 5 psi and was holding air just fine. Until i made sure the bladder was seated properly anddd ppop. It popped again on the same side in the same place. What is going on? is this my fault? i followed every instruction to a t. So i threw some duct tape on it and it seems to be holding air now. But why is this happening?
Tape will not hold.

Check inside to see of there is a stinger of some sorts. It could be there is something stuck in the material of the strut.

Obviously it is hard to get from what you are writing, what happened since you are not really telling us what you did, but first thing it so check for anything that can poke :-)

jblates1
Rare Poster

Postby jblates1 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:01 pm

yea sorry about the description i was pretty pissed off when i wrote it. So i got a new strut bladder and after watching a few videos on how to replace them i went ahead and did it. I tied a kite line around the valve, pushed the valve through, opened the end of the kite strut and pulled the bladder through. Then tied the kite line to the new bladder valve, pulled that one back through, fitted the valve into place and folded up the end. Then i closed the strut end and started to pump the kite up. I pumped it to about 5 psi and stopped to make sure the bladder was seated properly. Then i head it. The end popped again. The pop looks like it was caused not from a tear but was inflated and a weak spot formed a bubble which then burst. so i took that bladder out again and could not feel anything sharp. This kite has only been blown up about 3 times. So i dont know what is wrong.

dominique1988
Rare Poster

Postby dominique1988 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:21 pm

If there is nothing sharp inside The sleeve try not folding the end of the bladder. Instead of this push the bladder end back in itself. This will put less stress on the bladder and it makes sure your bladder isnt folded too short. This will probably solve the problem. Check out à manual displaying what i mean here: http://u-stick.eu/strut-replacement

jblates1
Rare Poster

Postby jblates1 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:31 pm

Thanks i will try that out next time. Now i just need to either repair my bladder or get a new one...

Return to “Kitesurfing”