big_d
Rare Poster
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Bronco 6m
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: ass kicked

Postby big_d » Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:21 am

RickI wrote:There is a solid kiting crew in the Toronto area. They also have some access problems. That is issues people telling them they can't kite at some of the limited launch areas up there. People trying to figure out how to do our sport without good instruction is a great way to lose access particularly if problems already exist. Some riders from your area monitor this site, hopefully they'll provide some input.

As far as getting your ass kicked, from what I gathered you didn't remotely come close. Here's a couple of cases from Lake Ontario where that is exactly what happened. There are lots of other accidents, these just came to mind. The less you know, the easier it is to fall into problems like this. This sport looks a lot easier than it actually is particularly when things go wrong.

Incredible Lofting Story From The Great Lakes

Another serious head injury accident last week

Here's a bonus video from Quebec. Note the kiting students slowly going along under control and the one clueless guy overpowered about to get his ass kicked slamming into the shore.

http://www.kiteforum.tv/index.php?optio ... 85&Itemid=

Adequate quality pro kiting instruction is the way to go for many reasons.
well like i got it up for a few seconds then fell forward, just a learning experience right, im pretty careful with what I do, i mean i didnt go out in extremely windy conditions or get a giant kite, I tested out,

I knew it wasnt going to be easy, i've been around sports long enough to understand everything takes time, work and money, but now I actually got a feel for it, and move forward to the next step which will be finding a trainer (either a smaller kite or person who can train me :P)

big_d
Rare Poster

Postby big_d » Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:23 am

Bille wrote:
big_d wrote:

i def plan to take a lesson or 2 before I put on some skiis or step into the water

Skies ---
Now your talking !! That 6M will pull you just Fine in 10 to 12mph wind with
your snow-skies !!! Do Ya have a really Large open field's, that are kinda flat
and catch copious amounts of snow ? or even a frozen lake with snow on top !!

Snow kiting is the Shitz, on skies or a snow-board, i can do both with double prosthetics.

Bille

UAH -- get a (( Used )) 4-line 2M trainer, but Don't get a POS, ask what is the best one.
You can use a 2M on snow as well in the higher winds. Don't hook in and use Kite-savers
for your safety if you need to let go for emergency's. Off hand i like the Peter-Lynn
traction kites. And also there is the three-wheeled buggy or the mountain-board for
dry land kiting.
Don't waist your money on lessons till you can fly the 2M with your eyes shut , but
definitely get the kite savers that attach to the breaks and just above your hands
on the wrists.

yeah man I cant wait, i got full size skiis, snowblades, snowboard, haha even debating about ice skates on a frozen pond

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:11 am

big_d wrote:

haha even debating about ice skates on a frozen pond
Now I'm jellos !!! A Good 2M would probably get yo going on ice skates
with near No mph wind : if not then break out your 6M !!

I made a pair of wheeled-skates that didn't caster to turn, ya had to lift your foot
to change direction. On the dry lake bed -- my 5M PL would pull me in a 3 to 5mph wind
so on ice it would be less wind. I never hooked-In , i would just hold on and use kite-savers.

Even if you learn to do this on snow, you Still want to get lessons for the water.
It's a completely different game with much more severe consequences the moment
you hook into a kite while wearing a harness.
The "i could Die" factor goes UP considerably !! on snow they use expensive kites
that have massive amounts of de-power for gusty conditions. When your just holding on
to the kite, you can always just Let Go if you get over-powered. The 2M is a good way to go
for learning.

Bille

irwe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Keswick
Favorite Beaches: Choche
South Padre Island
Silver Rock
Bahia Salinas
Style: Allaround
Gear: Ocean Rodeo
Slingshot
Spleen
Axis
Best
Shinn
TKF
ConceptAir
Zeeko

Postby irwe » Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:01 pm

Kiteboarding community is huge in the Toronto area.
You need a 2 - 3 m trainer kite. You will injure yourself with a 6 m.
My favourite trainer is the 3 m HQ Hydra (water and land kite).

Learn with the trainer in an open field.

Learn safety rules for kiting

Get a cheap pair of skis and ski boots and learn on Cook's bay with a small kite (Lake Simcoe) this winter.
A lesson will save your life no matter how atheltic you think you are.

Check out the following local sites.

www.localkitespots.com

www.thechickenloop.com

www.silentsports.com

www.boardsports.ca

www.pbkiteboarding.com

pleiku
Rare Poster

Postby pleiku » Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:55 pm

robertovillate wrote:big d,

:roll:

I'm going to make some assumptions here so bear with me on that -

I assume you have enough money to go to the hospital, emergency room, doctors office for
follow-up visits, pain medications, perhaps surgery, loss of income due to injury, etc...soooo

...I'm going to also assume you can afford a proper lesson wth a qualified instructor...and none of this bullshit asking for tidbits of advice from other kiters who may all be very well intentioned, but who will very unlikely give you a full comprehensive 4 hour lesson, which will probably prevent your otherwise probable induction into the Darwin Club.

And I'll tell you what...I will give you a lesson at my normal rate of $300 usd, (and normally I advise people take at least 2 of these)....and then fast forward to the day that you have become a qualified kiter and maybe you can get certified to teach and you are earning an income from teaching....If at that day in the future you tell me you will give someone* a lesson for free I will gladly refund your $300.

:thumb:

*someone - means some average nob at the beach and does not include some super hot babe who you would love to jump after you show off all your bad ass moves.
Roberto,
I hear-by nominate you for " Best post ever" :thumb:

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm

Postby SupaEZ » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:23 am

big_d wrote:so went out for my first kite session just on a field ocean rodeo bronco 6m 4 lines, the wind picked up a bit when i got to the field around wind gusts of around 18-19 knots, any ways could barely get it up, i had it up for a few seconds then got my ass dragged, happ'd about 5-6 times between me and a buddy lol

recommendations??

try again with less wind?
try a smaller kite to start with?
Get a different kite (i've heard not great things about the bronco)

I assume finding someone who knows what they are doing is the best bet,
A field is only good if the wind is clean....coming from a long long distance upwind uninterrupted

Steady winds first..not gusty in a field with dirty wind...the wind at ground level and sky should match

The 6M kite size seems ok ....but practice in 8-12 knots (10 average).....no more

Clean steady light wind and your ass will be just fine....but you must be taught kite control by a pro

If you are serious about learning put up some money now...and eliminate months of frustration+pain

........................ :surf: :sun: ..........................................................................................

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:44 am

Dig_B. People aren't telling this because we care so much your ability to take care of your self. You have all the right in the world to injure yourself.

We are protecting our own spots. When clueless people, like you in this case, bring out their kites, you become a danger to everyone. If you are in the water we have to rescue you...now you have just fucked our session because you had no idea what you were doing. If you are on the beach you are a danger to everyone around you...even people that just came down to the beach for a stroll. That becomes a danger to our access really fast.

So this sport is easy and really fast to learn, but there are a few principles you have to understand before you get there...if you skip them you might get far before you suddenly one day need them...but I promise you when you do, you'll be incredible glad you too that lesson.

Once you know what you are doing you'll look back at some of these posts and tell yourself you were a complete douche for not taking the advice you got here. Go get a lesson. Overall it will be cheaper, you'll save time, effort and you will actually have more fun that way.

Have fun :-)
A.

edit: I see you say you'll take a lesson. Great. Before you go to take a lesson, you can take out a 2 meter trainer kite. It will make some opf the things easier. Also check out vids of controlling...if you start completely bare you might develop bad habits that can be hard to get rid of.

big_d
Rare Poster

Postby big_d » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:05 am

tautologies wrote:Dig_B. People aren't telling this because we care so much your ability to take care of your self. You have all the right in the world to injure yourself.

We are protecting our own spots. When clueless people, like you in this case, bring out their kites, you become a danger to everyone. If you are in the water we have to rescue you...now you have just fucked our session because you had no idea what you were doing. If you are on the beach you are a danger to everyone around you...even people that just came down to the beach for a stroll. That becomes a danger to our access really fast.

So this sport is easy and really fast to learn, but there are a few principles you have to understand before you get there...if you skip them you might get far before you suddenly one day need them...but I promise you when you do, you'll be incredible glad you too that lesson.

Once you know what you are doing you'll look back at some of these posts and tell yourself you were a complete douche for not taking the advice you got here. Go get a lesson. Overall it will be cheaper, you'll save time, effort and you will actually have more fun that way.

Have fun :-)
A.

edit: I see you say you'll take a lesson. Great. Before you go to take a lesson, you can take out a 2 meter trainer kite. It will make some opf the things easier. Also check out vids of controlling...if you start completely bare you might develop bad habits that can be hard to get rid of.

yep for sure, I've been around sports long enough to know its best to have someone around who knows what they are doing, I wouldnt step in the water on a board without getting someones help or I could have easily bought a 16m kite but I knew that wouldnt be the greatest idea,

originally I thought I could use the 6m as the trainer, maybe it was just a shitty day/location I took it out on,
so I will most likely pick up a 2-3 m trainer now

tmcfarla
Frequent Poster

Postby tmcfarla » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:18 am

If you have access to frozen lakes, ice skates work well with small kites. I usually used a 1.5 m training kite, which worked really well. I once used a 5m foil and it was way too much. My dad hurt his knee pretty badly when his skate got stuck in a crack on the ice, so be careful. If there is any snow on the lake, skis might be better. Falls on ice with a kite can be much more brutal than regular ice skating/hockey falls, so if you have hockey pads, wear them. It is a lot of fun and a great way to learn the basics of kitesurfing.

A trainer kite is a really good investment. If you look around you can pick one up used for a song. I taught myself kitesurfing, but I had spent many hours with a trainer kite before getting into the water.

tkettlepoint
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Jellyfish boards custom boards
Brand Affiliation: Jellyfish Boards

Postby tkettlepoint » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:41 pm

Big_D

I have been kiting in ontario for 12 years now. You really need to take lessons. There are tons of people in ontario that do lessons and 250 is for 3-4 hrs and they supply the gear.

I have helped many out on the beaches every year and I have saved many on the water that should of took lessons and never did. Lessons are the only way to learn how to handle a kite. It would be like me just grabing a powered paraglider and think I can fly it .. ( nope not happening) A 6m kite in 20+ knots has the same pull as a race bike takeing off the line and you can get hurt or killed fast.

Trust me kiteing isn't a cheep sport unless you are sponsored and learning by yourself will cost you more in the long run then lessons... Go to the thechickenloop.com and that is our local spot so you can see where everyone is heading on windy days. If you show up at one of the local beaches and people see you being reckless and unsafe you will be asked to leave because we do not want you to get kiteing banned for the rest of us.

Let me know if you need more info on Ontario Kiteing or gear.

Terrie B
Switch Team rider
jellyfishboards.com co owner

Return to “Kitesurfing”