Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Is it possible to do a handle pass if you are big?

Forum for kitesurfers
edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Re: Is it possible to do a handle pass if you are big?

Postby edt » Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:01 am

blind judge is same wake and kite, where it gets different is the slim chance, kiters slim and wake slim are different

also who cares what the name is, unless someone puts on a uniform and becomes the moves police, it doesn't matter if you call a chicken salad grab a roast beef, all that matters is you look good

gonewiththewind
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby gonewiththewind » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:47 am

edt wrote:also who cares what the name is, unless someone puts on a uniform and becomes the moves police, it doesn't matter if you call a chicken salad grab a roast beef, all that matters is you look good
Yes, thank you. All these nerds teching out over trick names is hilarious. They think they're cool, and actually they're the biggest kooks of all.

Nico
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: private kitebeach on my doorstep,
Le Morne.
Style: wave
Gear: Drifter kites, wave boards
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, naish

Postby Nico » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:45 am

If you are big,
only big moves/passes are possible : )
"Where theres a will theres a way"
Nico

Dustfarter
Rare Poster
Local Beach: La
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Dustfarter » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:39 am

I'm 6.0 and 90kgs and throw passes all the time.......it's possible for sure.

kitezup
Medium Poster
Gear: Gin Guru

Postby kitezup » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:52 pm

gonewiththewind wrote: Yes, thank you. All these nerds teching out over trick names is hilarious. They think they're cool, and actually they're the biggest kooks of all.
:thumb:

gingerfinger
Rare Poster

Postby gingerfinger » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:23 pm

Thanks guys

Just to clarify - whatever the name of it, I want to pass the bar while in the air, not with my weight on the water. Seems a big difference to just landing blind then passing the bar.

Sure there are many tips to help and thanks for posting them and I am probably doing a couple of bits badly, but it is still a question of wanting to know if anyone my size does them...!

I only saw the guy land blind then pass in that vid but cheers for posting.

90kg is a fair bit lighter than 105kg. I'm a strong guy I do 8 reps pull ups with 25kg weight on my belt, but I've just gotten to thinking the strength to weight ratio of big guys is never gonna be same as smaller guys nor the body rotation speed. Being totally negative is where I'm at right now basically!! No chance :P

If u had to pick 1 tip over the others for doing BJ would it be monster railley to get the slack then? I've heard this but see many guys doing lame railleys I would call a gaylley yet still pass.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:27 pm

you have plenty weight to strength bro, I have seen ladies that can't do a single pull up rip off a blind judge. My best guess is you have a severe flaw in your technique but you have practiced your bad habits so much you can't even tell that you have them. there's a million ways you could be doing it wrong. You know what you gotta do is take some videos. Don't take just one take at least 3 or 4 videos. could also be you are severely underpowered due to your size and too small a kite. at 105kg / 230 pounds you should be using 18m (or bigger) kites in 25mph when everyone else is on 10's.

gingerfinger
Rare Poster

Postby gingerfinger » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:56 pm

oof u trying to kill me!??! I've still got whiplash from the last time I tried it with decent power. U r probably right about the bad habits bit. Hey it's a good motivator to point out that girls can do it fine !
Welll gotta get a plan together for next time around and stick to it. Video, power, painkillers....

KiloWatt
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Garda lake, Malcesine
Favorite Beaches: Sotavento, Fueteventura
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Naish Park, Brunotti boards

Postby KiloWatt » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:40 pm

I think it is possible!
You should train not only to be strong but to be agile and fast.
Flexibility it is also very important....
You might built yourself an handle pass simulator and practice 100 times the movement in order to prepare your mind to the real act in water.
Kilowatt

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Postby TheJoe » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:57 pm

gingerfinger wrote:oof u trying to kill me!??! I've still got whiplash from the last time I tried it with decent power. U r probably right about the bad habits bit. Hey it's a good motivator to point out that girls can do it fine !
Welll gotta get a plan together for next time around and stick to it. Video, power, painkillers....
Simple physics your big you need more power to get the pop you need to pass. It all boils down to tech. though. You really need to crank the bar to your hip a lot sooner than you would think. If you can do a railey to blind then you can pass the bar in the air. You just have to take things a little bigger for it.

All so don't get hung up and discouraged over one trick. Try and learn something else if you can not learn one then come back to it later. Don't burn your self out one thing.

Return to “Kitesurfing”