Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Looking for jumping board that's easy on the knees

Postby davesails7 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:36 pm

Mako bad for landings? In my experience the rocker really helps with the landing as compared to other boards. It's not possible to land flat because there is no flat part of the board.

I have the 140 and the king. The king is definitely harder on landing, but it's a huge board, there's not much you can do about that. The Mako King lands much softer than a door style big board though.

fishy
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby fishy » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:39 pm

As people have suggested, something with a lot of flex and good rocker. Nobile NHP has bags of rocker and flex, not so great for huge pop, but good for general riding in choppy conditions and softer landings. You can also adjust the angle of the pads as well, which may help you a little. I got mine for similar reasons. They describe it as medium to stiff flex, but it seems pretty flexible to me,

You could also consider the T5, I haven't tried it, but I think it has an even softer flex pattern than the NHP.

Lanc
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kite Beach, Cape Town
Favorite Beaches: Paje, Zanzibar
Green Island, Antigua
Low Bay, Barbuda
Style: Wave and Old School
Gear: Switchblade/Nomad/Drifter/Pivot/Rebel/Nitro
Underground FLX 132
F-One Mitu Monteiro Pro

Postby Lanc » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:34 pm

I'm also mostly a surfboard rider who occasionally enjoys a few jumping days. My knees are also shot so I all my boards must be as flexible as possible. The epoxy kitesurf boards I've tried are all too hard and stiff for me so I ride a couple of PU surfboards strapless. I went through a lot of twin tip testing (north,cab,best,naish and a few custom local boards) before I found a tt which had the flex I was looking for, the underground flx. I've been riding them for the past two years. They're also great on the waves as they flex quite a bit through the turns so do not slide out like the boards with too much rocker. I have not tried the crazyfly or shinn boards but would also be keen to give them a go.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:52 pm

yeah look for a flexible board. but as others have said. techique or kite. There are definately kites out there that will float you down every time. maybe you need to change kite?

prayfawind27
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Blu hill, Coral harbour(in front of the little key) Go Slow, Club Med
Favorite Beaches: kite beach Cabarete , Crondon Park Miami
Style: Free style

Postby prayfawind27 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:18 pm

how hard you're coming down plays a factor too,but get any board that has some good flex and get some very high end foot pad,between the flex of the board and some really nice soft foot pads it's going to adsorb all of the shock from landing plus choppy water

C Johnson
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Seattle / Hood River
Style: Freeride, Surf, Foil
Gear: whatever I want
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby C Johnson » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:36 pm

I think you need to consider what is making your knees sore.

if your knees are sore from mowing the lawn in choppy water then you need to consider a softer flex board with more concave like a mako.

If your knees are sore from hard landings from big jumps, kiteloops and load and pop tricks then you need a stiffer high rockered board.

Judging by your original post it sounds like the latter is what is causing problems for you. I recommend finding a good stiff wakestyle board like the cab custom or tona pop. If you don't want something quite that aggressive then maybe consider the North Gambler or Cabrinha Caliber.

tonyh
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Dollymount, Dublin.
Gear: *

Postby tonyh » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:39 pm

Mark.
Make sure to try the Shinn Monk, I'm in your age bracket with arthritic knees/foot, I have the original Monk (Ape graphic) best board I've had for knees so far, footpads are nice n comfy too.... just like old mans slippers :wink:
I've heard the latest incarnation is a little stiffer but haven't tried it yet.
Good luck with the search.
Wider stance will help soften the landings too.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:08 am

tonyh wrote:Mark.
Make sure to try the Shinn Monk, I'm in your age bracket with arthritic knees/foot, I have the original Monk (Ape graphic) best board I've had for knees so far, footpads are nice n comfy too.... just like old mans slippers :wink:
I've heard the latest incarnation is a little stiffer but haven't tried it yet.
Good luck with the search.
Wider stance will help soften the landings too.

Yeh I have the same board and vouch for their landings and general riding. Just enough flex, but not too much, so you can still pop. The footpads are extremely soft and have that memeory foam stuff. You can ride this board all day for some reason. Even my back roll back loops can be relatively forgiving on the monk.

hmattar
Medium Poster
Local Beach: salinas/PA-Brazil
Favorite Beaches: Salinas/PA Cumbuco/CE

Postby hmattar » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:47 am

I had knee surgery and i`m really enjoying a crazyfly raptor pro ltd!
You should try one out!

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .

Postby L0KI » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:47 am

Mark- If you have old 'n' broken body parts, I suggest you get them replaced first!!! :lol:
My whole body will be 54 years old in about six weeks...except for the parts that have been repaired or replaced..some of those parts are fairly new and might still be under warranty!!! :lostteeth:

A friend of mine, who was a professional Jetski racer and then did a lot of Motocross, is getting both hips replaced next week....he will be walking like a new man by St. Patricks Day. :D

My legs like the ride of a Mako 150 in chop but it's a bit hard to get any good boost from.
The Wainman Blunt/SU-2 ProRider 135 is very, very good in chop and lands sent jumps softly.
The Shinn Luigi was very good as well.
The Shinn Monk is the smoothest chop board I've ever been on and the landings are pretty good as well.
The Wainman Joke has a reputation as a very smooth chop board that has butter soft landings.

Return to “Kitesurfing”