Medium Poster
Local Beach: none
Style: freeride
Gear: Slingshot Shinn
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Slingshot comp stick bearing seized and rusty

Postby letsgoflyakite » Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:42 pm

They don't swivel on any of my bars in use. Handy when your rigging up, but on the water a bit too far out of reach to swivel manually. As my original post, does slingshot actually use these when testing? They still use them and come with 2015 bars. Oh, and bearings are not designed to be pulled from centre outwards as far as I am aware. The very old Mickey Mouse ear's swivel worked just as well.

whabbits
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Vancouver Island, BC
Favorite Beaches: Comox, BC
Nitinaht Lake. BC
Port Renfrew, BC
Style: learning anything
Gear: LOL, kiting too expensive now.
Brand Affiliation: None, but I used to work at Ocean Rodeo.

Postby whabbits » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:06 pm

I am saying this as a general comment, not specifically in regards to this particular instance.

Am I the only one that thinks that certain pieces of my equipment are consumables and should be replaced from time to time? Obviously equipment should be build to last but some of the boys at the beach expect their 2011 gear to still look brand new.

As an example, the drive train on my mountain bike needs to be replaced long before the frame.

I'm a heavier guy, over 200lbs, and so I regularly inspect my lines and swivels to ensure that they are in near perfect condition. I replace them accordingly and appreciate a dealer \ brand when they have them in stock for me. When I spend thousands on vacation to a remote area, I bring some spare parts. I broke a swivel in Costa Rica and was happy, I'd brought a spare...much cheaper than missing days or renting equipment.

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:09 pm

No,

It kills me when I see guys that have never changed a depower line and have been kiting for over three years.

Am I the only one who thing swivels at totally unnecessary? Or at least above the bar ones.

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Postby CaptainArgh » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:33 pm

letsgoflyakite wrote:They don't swivel on any of my bars in use. Handy when your rigging up, but on the water a bit too far out of reach to swivel manually. As my original post, does slingshot actually use these when testing? ...
I think they do, but perhaps in non sandy environments. ? I have wondered this also as it is a nice concept but find it doesn't really work in practice.
whabbits wrote:I am saying this as a general comment, not specifically in regards to this particular instance.

Am I the only one that thinks that certain pieces of my equipment are consumables and should be replaced from time to time? ..
No, I think most people realize this. When you are with an intelligent kiter who has older gear that breaks, he understands this is just wear and tear. For instance, when most people have nipples fall of their bladders, they understand that this does happen after time. Even if it isn't supposed to, older kites do this.

I understand this is a general comment AND the original post in this thread talks about a rusted out swivel that sounds like it had not been rinsed or maintained. My side question is that even when this swivel is new and maintained...it doesn't work well. I am really not looking to start a gripe, I'm looking for how folks have worked around this issue? (as pj sofine does above) Thousands have been sold. I'm sure someone has taken it out or just figured a way to dial it in.
Starsky wrote:...Am I the only one who thing swivels at totally unnecessary? Or at least above the bar ones.
I like them...when they work.
If they don't work, give me something I can easily reach and I'll do it myself. No sweat.

t3rse
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Folly
Gear: RRD Obsession/Core XR/Cab FX
Been thanked: 0

Postby t3rse » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:13 pm

I've got an older SS bar (bearing in the CL box) and I've tried a few bearings and even sealed SS doesn't last in salt water after a while, and I use nice expensive bearings. I will be trying a ceramic soon.

I know this doesn't help you.... Adapt one of these? http://www.mutinykites.com/products/swivel

On a side note: I've had depower ropes look bad after only 10 or so sessions. I replace these often...I've had one snap and I was luckily very close to land when it happened.

stylesy
Rare Poster
Gear: Various
Been thanked: 0

Postby stylesy » Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:10 am

What about spraying some silicone based lube onto the swivel bearing?

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster

Postby CaptainArgh » Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:31 am

t3rse wrote: I know this doesn't help you.... Adapt one of these? http://www.mutinykites.com/products/swivel
That helps. I'd replace mine if there is actually a swivel that works.

Has anyone used this one? Does it work as advertised? (like...really work. after several beach sessions) I know it says it is different, but it does look pretty much the same. "Finally a swivel which does just that thanks to it's unique design, self lubricating plastic and a intergrated stainless steel bearing."

norcom
Very Frequent Poster
Style: waves
Gear: Too much to list these days. Currently mostly a v3 Cabo's and Spleene Zone fan

Postby norcom » Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:45 am

Just picked up a brand new 2013 Rally with a bar. Only kite in my quiver that has the swivel above the bar. Working on my back rolls and of course I can only do them on port tack.

Few back rolls in I notice the lines are getting twisted in one direction and it's starting to scare me. I can't down loop or back roll in the other direction! I'm wondering what's happening and why the design doesn't accommodate for that?! So I'm trying to figure out a way to untangle them if I land the kite. Then I reach for the swivel and just spin it around with my hand. :oops: LOL

Strange, I would have thought that it would just spin itself the correct way from all the forces exerted on the swivel. I have some McLube spray, might give it a shot once the bar is dry. Not a huge deal as I can reach the swivel pretty easily by hand.

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster

Postby CaptainArgh » Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:37 am

norcom wrote:Just picked up a brand new 2013 Rally with a bar. Only kite in my quiver that has the swivel above the bar. Working on my back rolls and of course I can only do them on port tack.

Few back rolls in I notice the lines are getting twisted in one direction and it's starting to scare me. I can't down loop or back roll in the other direction! I'm wondering what's happening and why the design doesn't accommodate for that?! So I'm trying to figure out a way to untangle them if I land the kite. Then I reach for the swivel and just spin it around with my hand. :oops: LOL

Strange, I would have thought that it would just spin itself the correct way from all the forces exerted on the swivel. I have some McLube spray, might give it a shot once the bar is dry. Not a huge deal as I can reach the swivel pretty easily by hand.
You must have orangatang arms. ;) I have to pull in a foot of depower to reach it. Some days that isn't an ideal solution. A guy above said he just yanks down the center lines until the swivel is in reach...I guess that's even easier. Never thought to try that, but in the ocean with big waves around I'd probably want all my power and one hand on the bar. :o

Anyway, glad it's working for you! When it works...it rocks!

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A

Postby dyyylan » Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:46 am

CaptainArgh wrote:
t3rse wrote: I know this doesn't help you.... Adapt one of these? http://www.mutinykites.com/products/swivel
That helps. I'd replace mine if there is actually a swivel that works.

Has anyone used this one? Does it work as advertised? (like...really work. after several beach sessions) I know it says it is different, but it does look pretty much the same. "Finally a swivel which does just that thanks to it's unique design, self lubricating plastic and a intergrated stainless steel bearing."
The mutiny swivel is by far the best one I've used.

I've never really had any problems with my swivels though, I have a 2013 and a 2012 compstick bar that have been used mostly in the ocean and they are still working great. When I'm done with my session I just dunk it in the water to rinse the sand off. At the start of the next session it's usually pretty crusted over, all I do is give it a few twists to work it loose and it works like new every session. I'm guessing the majority of people who have issues with swivels just automatically expect them to work 100% of the time with no care, and that just doesn't work for something with a bearing in it.

Return to “Kitesurfing”