JGTR
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Airush Razor vs Naish Torch

Postby JGTR » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:36 pm

So, the dacron is worn out but the kite is in general ok
I didn't say that, you did :roll:

I don't know, all I know is that I saw him and he showed me his kite, the rest of the kite looked sweet.

Pics..............maybe, if I see him but not gonna make special trip.

Trust me, not good, and I'm one of the Torch's biggest fans :thumb:

ensor
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby ensor » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:29 am

Ludmil wrote:
ensor wrote:
It`s seems that this is only an assuption of yours .
Btw, I sold my 2009 after 2 years of abuse and the guy who is riding it still have fun on it w/o any probs or q issues...
Haven`t seen personally LE probs .Doesn`t mean that didn`t happen though.

L.
My Naish Torch 2009 12m exploded 3 TIMES on the leading edge.Two times on relaunching and one at a water crash.I paid so much money to fix it two times but this time I will get rid of it.I don't want any more trouble with naish.

picture after exploding on relaunch

More issues here

http://direwolff.wordpress.com/2007/05/ ... ng-issues/

PAFF
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Frestyle and waves. Always unhookt
Brand Affiliation: Slingshot-Naish-Cabrinha-North-Best-Surftech.

Postby PAFF » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:55 pm

Tried the new Torch in 9-12...

Hands down the best ever C kite i have tried.

I fly SLE kites myself.

John-B
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Troon Scotland
Favorite Beaches: Pigs Bay El Medano
Style: Having fun!
Gear: 2017 Airush Union 6/9/12 and 135 Shinn Ronson
Brand Affiliation: Airush/Shinn

Postby John-B » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:19 pm

They are both direct handling five line C kites; however they do feel different in many ways. I have had 2012 and now got 2013 Razors in 11/9/7 and my mate has 10/8/6 2012 torches which I have flown a few times while he has tried my Razors.

Bar pressure - the Razor has a bit more feel and not that it is heavy but it feels distinctly different and IMO prefer this and I have a better connection to the kite.

Turning speed – they are both the same in general speed terms but power delivery is different and I’d say the Razor has a bit more of a forward turn and more power by sitting a little deeper.

Relaunch – they are 5 line C kites and if you don’t know how to relaunch one then buy a delta!

Another thing to consider is the actual bar - the Naish one I'm not too keen on and my mate cannibalised his to above bar depower with a North Iron Heart release. The Airush bar is a thing of beauty and is the first OEM bar I have used with my kites ofr years.

In general:

The Razor to me (and my mate) feels more powerful and the power delivery through where the kite sits in the window and how you can spill this through edging is very different to the Torch. I feel I can be much more progressive unhooked with the Razor than the Torch where I always felt that I could kill it with very little edging so everything had to happen faster; however when mastered the Torch does have better unhooked range and a bigger top end (not due to size difference).

I personally prefer the feel and precision of the Razor and in freestyle mode it is a much more dynamic kite that is easier to get more performance out of e.g. it jumps to the moon – the Torch can go high but it takes a bit more to get it there whereas the Razor goes big all the time and when you get it spot on it goes fucking huge!

My mate loves his Torches but has confessed that if they did them in 10/8/6 which would suit his weight better then he'd have Razors!

Ludmil
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Ludmil » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:25 pm

ensor wrote:
Ludmil wrote:
ensor wrote:
It`s seems that this is only an assuption of yours .
Btw, I sold my 2009 after 2 years of abuse and the guy who is riding it still have fun on it w/o any probs or q issues...
Haven`t seen personally LE probs .Doesn`t mean that didn`t happen though.

L.
My Naish Torch 2009 12m exploded 3 TIMES on the leading edge.Two times on relaunching and one at a water crash.I paid so much money to fix it two times but this time I will get rid of it.I don't want any more trouble with naish.

picture after exploding on relaunch

More issues here

http://direwolff.wordpress.com/2007/05/ ... ng-issues/
Quite ineresting...
You`ve cut part of my post and changed the meaning at the same time.

Good luck in your search.

L.

Mike27
Frequent Poster
Gear: naish

Postby Mike27 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:42 pm

PAFF wrote:Tried the new Torch in 9-12...

Hands down the best ever C kite i have tried.

I fly SLE kites myself.
Can you tell us a little bit more ? What about bar pressure, turning speed, stability, slack in the line unhooked, relaunche....etc......compare to 2012 ?

ensor
Rare Poster

Postby ensor » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:08 am

Ludmil wrote:
Quite ineresting...
You`ve cut part of my post and changed the meaning at the same time.

Good luck in your search.

L.
I didn't want to do that.I am sorry.
I am angry with Naish not with you

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:41 am

ensor wrote:
I didn't want to do that.I am sorry.
I am angry with Naish not with you
So what was the point of this post then? Why not just ask about the razor if that is what you want?

Obviously I know nothing about how you use your kite, but I've seen such abuse of the torch with no problem. A frienfd of mine dropped his in big surf. The kite came to shore as a wrapped ball of lines and air and material..he was sure his kite was fubared, so he just dragged the kite over reef to dry land...when he let go the kite just sort of unwrapped itself all good after getting hammered by surf for some time. His expression of utter disbelief was really funny actually.

My point isn't that you have not experienced, but one thing I have absolutely observed when people launch c kites these days, they do not lift the kite up, they force it up, bending part of the LE. I think it is because they are used to launch flat kites where the LE is not bent the same way.

I've never had a problem with my torches. I just got the 2013 11 meter, and can;pt wait to take it out...obviously there will be no wind for the foreseeable future...

Brent4336
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Brent4336 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:30 am

Ive had kites I loved that blew up on me (not torches). I would have asked the initial question in the same way. I would want to know how the kites compare in all aspects, not just durability/build quality.

I would especially want it to be compared to something I know. ie faster here, slower there, lighter, safety, bar etc.

I dont think this guy wanted to bash, it just degenerated into that. Not the first thread to decompose when someone brings up an issue.

Does the Airush Razor have battens in the wingtips? The torch doesn't. Has the manner in which Naish sew their leading edge changed at all over the last 4 years? Think they talk about two pieces making up every section. Has that always been the case or is that a response to CQ issues?

Nobody wants to be branded poor quality. Especially a company like Naish that puts so much into marketing. All that money is wasted if you get a rep for poor quality.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:50 am

Brent4336 wrote:Ive had kites I loved that blew up on me (not torches). I would have asked the initial question in the same way. I would want to know how the kites compare in all aspects, not just durability/build quality.

I would especially want it to be compared to something I know. ie faster here, slower there, lighter, safety, bar etc.

I dont think this guy wanted to bash, it just degenerated into that. Not the first thread to decompose when someone brings up an issue.

Does the Airush Razor have battens in the wingtips? The torch doesn't. Has the manner in which Naish sew their leading edge changed at all over the last 4 years? Think they talk about two pieces making up every section. Has that always been the case or is that a response to CQ issues?

Nobody wants to be branded poor quality. Especially a company like Naish that puts so much into marketing. All that money is wasted if you get a rep for poor quality.
Yeah that makes sense. I dunno if how they sew the le. I use the torch two of the spots I go to.

Return to “Kitesurfing”