Style: Having fun!
Gear: 2017 Airush Union 6/9/12 and 135 Shinn Ronson
Brand Affiliation: Airush/Shinn
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Airush Razor vs Naish Torch

Postby John-B » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:45 pm

Brent4336 wrote:
Does the Airush Razor have battens in the wingtips?
No battens. Also on the 2013 Team version they have the new aramid load frame criss-crossing the canopy which they hope will prevent all LE to TE failures. In addtion what this does is make the whole structure more solid and I'd agree that it provides just a little bit extra something to the handling on what was already a very precise and direct kite.

Brent4336
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Brent4336 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:16 pm

Im kinda intereseted to see the new airush aramid criss cross stuff. I'm personally more intereseted in the wave which we have yet to really hear much about. Not much airush near me so it might not be soon.

I've traditionally heard people talk about their kites getting bagged out eventually and wonder if that really happens or not. That criss cross could probably reduce a lot of the load on the rip stop, but Im interested to see one in the air and see if it has any kinda quilted look or if the panels are uniform flat.

John-B
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Troon Scotland
Favorite Beaches: Pigs Bay El Medano
Style: Having fun!
Gear: 2017 Airush Union 6/9/12 and 135 Shinn Ronson
Brand Affiliation: Airush/Shinn

Postby John-B » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:37 pm

Brent4336 wrote:Im kinda intereseted to see the new airush aramid criss cross stuff. I'm personally more intereseted in the wave which we have yet to really hear much about. Not much airush near me so it might not be soon.

I've traditionally heard people talk about their kites getting bagged out eventually and wonder if that really happens or not. That criss cross could probably reduce a lot of the load on the rip stop, but Im interested to see one in the air and see if it has any kinda quilted look or if the panels are uniform flat.
They are uniform and flat and it looks very cool (not that will make you a better kiter contrary to popular belief). The whole thing looks/feels/behaves more solid because of it and they fly almost on ESP!

I have used the 9m Wave - it is a very special kite and is a bit of an anomoly - I have a full write up on here with a video somewhere I think? In short I didn't think it would work being three struts, too low aspect, pullies etc. However it did and then some and it is getting some awesome feedback here in the UK with huge range and very easy to tap into performance.

Just searched and under my old user name (s29feb): viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2376615&p=756964&hi ... no#p756964

marka
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby marka » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:55 pm

A new site called kitecomparsion.com is a good place to start if you are unsure which kites to test.... Its never going to compare to getting out on the water but you can try compare 3 kites next to each other, so worth a look.

http://www.kitecomparison.com/airush/ra ... -13m-razor
http://www.kitecomparison.com/naish/tor ... /torch-12m

MikeBirt
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Weight: 81kg
Local Beach: Teesside - UK
Favorite Beaches: Redcar, Beadnell, Budle
Style: everything
Gear: Like to try everything I can :-)
Brand Affiliation: Airush and Shinn (UK importer)

Postby MikeBirt » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:18 am

The aramid load frame is very impressive. To my knowledge, no-one in the uk has managed to go through a strand of it yet. You can put the panel inbetween out, but a front to back? not seen one yet..

Also for me, the 2 hidden advantages of this are;
- stops the overall canopy from stretching as much as it would ordinarily do
- promotes the shear of the kite (the way one wingtip will move infront of the other) as opposed to throwing a wing tip out like an anchor. This has a big effect of the kite powering through a turn as opposed to breaking through a turn. Makes the kite feel more athletic.

I know that the tape is very expensive at mfr, and there were discussions as to it's economic future. I sincerely hope it stays, as it's a very impressive bit of tech.

Tiago1973
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Portugal
Style: Freeriding
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Tiago1973 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:31 am

could be

but i also wonder if the local guy that fixes my kites when they brake would be able to do his stuff with that aramid thing in the middle

Return to “Kitesurfing”