Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Wainman Smoke 9m

Forum for kitesurfers
kjorn
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Wainman Smoke 9m

Postby kjorn » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:55 pm

average rider wrote: maybe Kjorn had it on a bad setup....
No. I can use the internet :) so I read up and asked questions. I tried every setting and still didn't like the kites. The bar pressure did change, but not much.

DJwilson
Medium Poster
Local Beach: South coast UK
Favorite Beaches: Nappeague, USA
Paros, GREECE
Wissand, FRANCE
Alvor, PORTUGAL
Style: Freeride, waves
Gear: Ozone, Wainman, various boards
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby DJwilson » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:04 pm

If there s a better all-round kite out there I d like to know what it is. It just does everything pretty damn well. And the bottom end on it makes it virtually a one kite quiver with a few board options. I do love it, though there are some limitations - upwind, hangtime - but i'll always keep it. From what I ve read the second generation is meant to be a little tamer, but have not flown any. I did get super hacked off with the Wainman customer service once, but I ve got nothing bad to say about the kite.

average rider
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Omaezaki, Chiba
Favorite Beaches: The windy ones with clean waves and no people
Style: waves
Gear: RRD

Postby average rider » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:03 am

switch kites - they are amazing apparently...

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .

Postby L0KI » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:50 am

average rider wrote:switch kites - they are amazing apparently...
is that a question or a statement or...?

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:17 am

I did not ask about switch kites, Have anything to say on the smoke? if not, go to the post talking about this please. But alas I will bite, man they are a decent price hey, had a look yesterday on the net. Reminds me of when best came on the market, but kites overall are much better now. Crew seem to like them. But I wanna talk smoke. Getting on one real soon, so will give my two bobs worth, been around 13 seasons, ridden quite a few kites from all the DNA pool, so someone might want to read what I have to say. Then again.... :o

sw67
Medium Poster

Postby sw67 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:01 pm

I have been using Wainman kites for just over 3 years. Its the longest i have ever kept my kites but they are so good i dont plan on changing them until they fall apart and die.

They have a good range , dont mind gusts ( keep the back lines tight ) and just do everything well. Relaunch is instant and self launching and landing easy.

I use mine with both surfboard and twin tip hooked in.

You might find kites that are better at certain things but i doubt you will find a better all round kite.

mc8
Medium Poster

Postby mc8 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:35 pm

The comment about bar pressure must be a joke, right? I mean, i never heard a girl complaining about it, some stronger guys wanted even more pressure, so its really hard for me to understand this. When i tried the fast setting, bar pressure was too light for me- couldn't feel the kite all the time ( similar to bandit 5 ), and i don't like that "bow style" bar pressure.

Hangtime was indeed a weak point of first generation, but i believe they made the biggest improvement here. A friend of mine demoed lots of kites, and told me he had problems landing jumps with Boss ( sorry, i know it should be smoke thread :) ), because he wasn't used to being in the air that long. Not saying its the best jumper out there, but it was superior to the ones he tried. I also rode the old and the new Boss side by side, and they really made a huge improvement regarding hangtime.

As for Smoke windrange, i weigh 75kg, and been on the water with it from 13knts ( way underpowered, but could stay upwind ) to 35knt ( little overpowered, but still in control for some nice jumps :) ). When a gust hit a 40, it was too much for me :)
Upwind, i think it has more to do with rider himself, and the board, but i could be wrong. Never had problems riding few kilometers upwind - better riders were faster than me, others stayed way behind ( in front actually :) ).

As for unhooked, i can't say much, as i can do only few tricks, but its looking pretty solid when Hannah, Lou and others show off with some fancy freestyle :)
The build quality is excelent, and the bar is surely one of the best out there. I'm sure you're gonna love that kite. Looking forward to your first impressions :)

reagrds

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Westozzy » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:43 pm

mc8 wrote:The comment about bar pressure must be a joke, right? I mean, i never heard a girl complaining about it, some stronger guys wanted even more pressure, so its really hard for me to understand this. When i tried the fast setting, bar pressure was too light for me- couldn't feel the kite all the time ( similar to bandit 5 ), and i don't like that "bow style" bar pressure.

Hangtime was indeed a weak point of first generation, but i believe they made the biggest improvement here. A friend of mine demoed lots of kites, and told me he had problems landing jumps with Boss ( sorry, i know it should be smoke thread :) ), because he wasn't used to being in the air that long. Not saying its the best jumper out there, but it was superior to the ones he tried. I also rode the old and the new Boss side by side, and they really made a huge improvement regarding hangtime.

As for Smoke windrange, i weigh 75kg, and been on the water with it from 13knts ( way underpowered, but could stay upwind ) to 35knt ( little overpowered, but still in control for some nice jumps :) ). When a gust hit a 40, it was too much for me :)
Upwind, i think it has more to do with rider himself, and the board, but i could be wrong. Never had problems riding few kilometers upwind - better riders were faster than me, others stayed way behind ( in front actually :) ).

As for unhooked, i can't say much, as i can do only few tricks, but its looking pretty solid when Hannah, Lou and others show off with some fancy freestyle :)
The build quality is excelent, and the bar is surely one of the best out there. I'm sure you're gonna love that kite. Looking forward to your first impressions :)

reagrds

Yeh me too, will report back. Looking forward to it. Gonna demo the new wave for airush as well, gonna be an interesting day. Might have to day off work me thinks. Ha ha ha

jkrug
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 200 lbs
Gear: stuff

Postby jkrug » Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:23 pm

yeah, it's hard to believe folks are complaining about the bar pressure. i don't like big bar pressure, which is exactly why i like WH kites. i rode the old Smoke for years...got the new one. only difference to me is maybe a bit less grunt on the new one, but i suspect that is because of the new 10.5. if the new Smoke had the same amount of grunt, the 10.5 just wouldn't be needed....unless you don't own the Boss.

my old Boss is going strong, but it's good to hear the new one jumps a bit better for when i eventually get it. i've also heard the WHs will drop you hard...just not true. but soft landings are not automatic...you do have to fly it, so it's not a complete no-brainer to get nice soft touch-downs like some dedicated bow jumping kites. the new bar is the best on the market, IMO.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Westozzy » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:07 pm

Thanks to all for the feedback on the smoke. It seems there are some dedicated riders out there who highly rate this kite. Will get back to you as soon as the bloody wind stays around. !!

Return to “Kitesurfing”