Forum for kitesurfers
windsuks
Very Frequent Poster
Style: surf/old school
Gear: Airush/North/Ozone/RRD
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Epic Kites 3rd Generation. 3G II

Postby windsuks » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:56 am

Woah, someone's been busy (whilst others are too busy bitching on the forums)!
Can't wait to try these protos when team Blast visit in two weeks. :thumb:

Geronimo79
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride
Gear: Epic Kites and Arise and Hyperflex
Brand Affiliation: Epic Kites and Arise
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Geronimo79 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:40 am

hmmm new strutless kite, something with Judge print on it.... :roll: :roll: :o :?: :jump:

nikalaitzian
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Loutsa Nissakia,Oropos,Vouliagmeni
Style: wave,bigair,megaloops,hydrofoil,wingfoil
Gear: Epic kites,BTS kiteboards,cohete surfboards,SAB,GAC hydrofoils
Brand Affiliation: Epic Kites,GAC

Postby nikalaitzian » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:30 pm

Dimitri M wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Great detective work Mr.Oldnbroken. This is one of the many prototypes Momi and I have been working on. I can't tell you more until we know what direction will be taking. But if any one is interested in demoing all these new toys please come to the Outer Banks (NC-USA) so you can get your hands on one of these prototypes and let us know what you think. We had lots of people demoing these kites today and was a great success. Will be doing demos until end of June.

Judge 9m?Come on the 8m is perfect ... great low end and high end!!Superior relaunch and slack in the lines ...What next!?

alexeyga
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 200
Favorite Beaches: Ocean shore!
Style: Freeride dongling
Gear: Eleveight / Shinn / North / Axis / Slingshot / Airush

Postby alexeyga » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:10 pm

Dimitri, you can't be seriously thinking about making a strutless kite!!!??? The concept - as such - is a dead end, what a non-re-launchable kite is good for anyways? :-? Crush it in any sizable chop, nevermind waves and it turns into a wet rag!!!

matthepp
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: RMP
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana
Kino Bay
Red Mountain Pass
Style: Rich
Gear: OR Flite 15m
OR Razor 12m
OR Prodigy 7m 9.5m
BD Carbon Megawatts
Slingshot Dwarfcraft/ Gamma 68
Brand Affiliation: Alpine Edge Engineering

Postby matthepp » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:28 pm

That strutless renegade could be the ticket for snowkiting, so long as it's as responsive as the Infinity that I just demo'ed. Less weight/volume for backcountry ventures. Less valves to deal with in single digits. But still good airframe rigidity for looping, wind shadows, downhill-upwinders, etc? Momi and Dimitri when are you coming to Colorado to prototype?

windsuks
Very Frequent Poster
Style: surf/old school
Gear: Airush/North/Ozone/RRD

Postby windsuks » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:32 pm

Gotta be a good idea for travel too....however for out and out performance I'm guessing I'll be sticking to my Screamers and Renegades!

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: I travel all over the world.
Favorite Beaches: So many to list....
Style: MY OWN STYLE :-)
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.
Just try the EPICKITES and you will see for yourself.
Brand Affiliation: Owner of EPIC KITES

Postby Dimitri M » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:58 pm

Guys we are just testing few concepts and wanted to share it with you. Momi and I started this idea 2 years ago while we were working on few light wind kites such as the INFINITY kites but did not pursue it because of no much interest plus the INFINITY came out to be way better. Any way during all these demos I have been conducting we've had a lot of people demoing them with lots of testimonials and some good inputs. But again personally I love having struts on my kites. Way easier to relaunch, more sturdy feel, and direct sensitivity on the kite but again few people did like the feel of the NO STRUT kite, maybe because it's something new. Some of them said that it flew like "butter". But between us you can always deflate your struts on your kite and fly your kite with the struts deflated just to get an idea. It does give a different feeling to the kite and to the bar, but the kite will fly well.
Any way the good thing about not having struts is that it's way easier to pack, much lighter and no extra struts to pump or having to replace in case something happens. So in few words less things to worry about. The only bad thing is that in the turns it flutters a lot when you are depowering the kite by pushing the bar away plus relaunching it is not as easy as relaunching a kite with struts. Don't take me wrong, it does relaunch but not as easy. (video coming out soon). Once again we are just playing around with some ideas maybe this idea might turn out to be our snow kite. Thank you Mr.matthepp.

P.S. Now Momi is going to kill me because off all the info I am posting. Plus he is not impressed with the NO STRUT kite.
Last edited by Dimitri M on Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

LanBro
Frequent Poster
Style: Old School
Gear: 2019 Rebel / RPM
Been thanked: 0

Postby LanBro » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:14 pm

When I come to OBX... I'll try it out. If I jump that high, I'll buy the screamer on the spot. :thumb:

nikalaitzian
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Loutsa Nissakia,Oropos,Vouliagmeni
Style: wave,bigair,megaloops,hydrofoil,wingfoil
Gear: Epic kites,BTS kiteboards,cohete surfboards,SAB,GAC hydrofoils
Brand Affiliation: Epic Kites,GAC

Postby nikalaitzian » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:34 am

looping at 35knots with strutless kite?SUICIDE!!!!

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: I travel all over the world.
Favorite Beaches: So many to list....
Style: MY OWN STYLE :-)
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.
Just try the EPICKITES and you will see for yourself.
Brand Affiliation: Owner of EPIC KITES

Postby Dimitri M » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:13 pm

Yes you are right Mr.nikalaitzian it can be very dangerous doing a Mega Loop with a Strutless kite.
Any way I just received this email from a kiter that obviously loves his SCREAMER 10 LTD and wanted to share what he has to say with you.
(see bellow email)

My response to him was that we are still working on the (4G) prototype SCREAMER kites and its incredibly hard to come up with better then the 3G II SCREAMERS 7/9/12/14 that we have now. But Momi and I were able to come up with I beleive a better and improved (4G) SCREAMER 10 LTD.
This is the kite I've been testing lately to see it performance is strong winds and 36 mph was its limit and was rock solid in the air. (see attached picture)
On the other hand the SCREAMER 7 is an amazing kite and it's actually my favorite kite to use when it's blowing 25 to 40 mph. That kite has so much hang time that it makes you think you are on top of the world when jumping. Forget the crazy Mega Loops you can do with the SCREAMER 7.
Attachments
SCREAMER 7 4G.jpg
Dimitri testing the S10 4G.jpg

Return to “Kitesurfing”