Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Epic Kites 3rd Generation. 3G II

Forum for kitesurfers
Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: I travel all over the world.
Favorite Beaches: So many to list....
Style: MY OWN STYLE :-)
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.
Just try the EPICKITES and you will see for yourself.
Brand Affiliation: Owner of EPIC KITES
Has thanked: 0

Re: Epic Kites 3rd Generation. 3G II

Postby Dimitri M » Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:49 am

This is what happens to happy customers.

P.S. Got an email from a customer this morning attached with this picture. :thumb:
Attachments
photo.JPG

hmattar
Medium Poster
Local Beach: salinas/PA-Brazil
Favorite Beaches: Salinas/PA Cumbuco/CE
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby hmattar » Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:58 pm

Hey Guys.
Right now I ride a Rebel and I wanna change to a 4 line kite and i'm really looking for a epic kite.
But it's impossible for me to demo one where I live.
The question is screamer or renegade.
I've been riding for a few years but pretty much just freeriding. I recently started to jump. 2 meter jump tops and trying to get higher. I don't see me in the future doing any wakestyle moves, just oldschool maybe, jumping and freeriding.
Also want a stable kite.

What would be my best option? Renegade or screamer?

Geronimo79
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride
Gear: Epic Kites and Arise and Hyperflex
Brand Affiliation: Epic Kites and Arise

Postby Geronimo79 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:38 pm

Definitly the screamer. Its more along the line of the Rebel but a little more agressive and rewarding. Jumps are high and the landings are pretty soft. Hangtime i thought was a little better on the screamer but there for the Rebel jumped a little easier. But the Screamer 3G is a lot easier then my 2010 aswell. Only have 2 sessions on the 3G 12m and its definitly easier to jump.

The renegade is a great allround kite. Its actually a lot of fun riding it its more playfull for riding. Jumps arent bad and because of the downwind landings the airtime is good but not much hangtime. But for me it just misses that little extra the screamer has. raw power. The screamer has its name for a reason.

Both are good for freeriding but the Screamer gives a litle extra for oldschool hangtime.
Since your used to the rebel. go for a Screamer it will give you a little extra.

KiteCulture
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Epic Renegades, Screamer LTD
Brand Affiliation: EPIC kites www.epickites.com

Postby KiteCulture » Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:23 pm

I'd say renegade. It will feel more like your rebel, which is a dedicated wave kite. It has super stability, ease of use, and can jump pretty well and intuitively. If you wanna go high and take your riding to the next level, then go screamer, but if you're after an easy and forgiving ride that you can progress with, the renegade.

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: I travel all over the world.
Favorite Beaches: So many to list....
Style: MY OWN STYLE :-)
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.
Just try the EPICKITES and you will see for yourself.
Brand Affiliation: Owner of EPIC KITES

Postby Dimitri M » Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:38 pm

These pictures are from yesterday Oct 26th during our demos on the Outer Banks. The good thing about these demos is that we were able to meet with the SBC KITEBOARDING magazine testing the 2013 gear from different other brands. You also had few other dealers from other brands demoing all these gears such as: NORTH, NAISH, BLADE, NOBILE, RRD, BEST, SLINGSHOT, AIRUSH, CORE, CABRINHA and EPIC.
All I have to say is that every tester from the Canadian magazine and few other dealers that tested the SCREAMER 12 (3G II) and the prototype SCREAMER 10 LTD (v4) were incredibly impressed. Actually I over heard 3 of the tester talking to each other saying how high they jumped on that Screamer and one of them mentioning that it was the biggest jump he ever did until he hit his head with the board on the landing. The wind was up and down at the beginning (12 to 15 knots) so people were riding 16 to 12 meter kites. But then the wind pick up from (18 to 27 knots) and people were riding 12 meters all the way down to 7 meters.
The good thing about these magazine tests, is that in one day I can also test all my competitor's kites and out of all them the one that I liked the most was the NORTH "Rebel 12". This kite was not as fast as the SCREAMER 12 and did not have that direct feel that the SCREAMER has, but the hang time was great.
Can't wait to read the reviews they are going to post on the next issue of the SBC KITEBOARDING magazine.

P.S. Now time to go and test the RENEGADE 5 prototype in the ocean with Hurricane Sandy. :thumb:
Attachments
DSC_0054 7.jpg
DSC_0058.jpg
DSC_0068 (1).jpg
DSC_0102 4.jpg
DSC_0086 3.jpg
DSC_0111 5.jpg
Last edited by Dimitri M on Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Séb
Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, Core, Shinn, Moses, Horue

Postby Séb » Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:41 pm

I also second the Renegade. I ride both and the Renegade is much more stable, easier to ride and I can jump as high on my R11 then my S12 but with less hangtime. It is also easier, faster to relaunch. At your level I think you will love the Renegade.

hmattar
Medium Poster
Local Beach: salinas/PA-Brazil
Favorite Beaches: Salinas/PA Cumbuco/CE

Postby hmattar » Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:47 pm

Thanks for the input. I 'll keep my 13m rebel for now, and buy a 11m renegade then after I can sell my 13m rebel and maybe get a 13m renegade or a infiniti. I used to love my rebel till i tangled my lines twice and had to take a ride from a friend back to the beach.I dont wanna go throught that again.

I think the 10m screamer ltd maybe a little too hardcore for me(depower wise) and the 9m screamer may not be enought for my weight(98kg).

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .

Postby L0KI » Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:50 pm

I own and fly the Renegade 13M for my lightwind kite and it is a very forgiving kite in gusty winds, and because of it's size, it jumps well and provides pretty good float.
I also have a Renegade 11M and a 3G Screamer 10M LTD Edition.
The Renegade 11M is a very easy kite and a ton of fun, does not jump like a Screamer, but does as well as many kites out there for jumping.
Don't be put off by the performance reports you are getting about Screamers.
The 3G Screamer 10M LTD is not too hardcore, it is a more forgiving kite than the rest of the current Screamer line-up. If you are coming from a Rebel, I would not be afraid a Screamer 10M LTD would be too much.
It is a 10M that pulls like a 10M, so it's not a monster, I promise.
But if you ride in difficult conditions, a Renegade 11M is super forgiving.

windsuks
Very Frequent Poster
Style: surf/old school
Gear: Airush/North/Ozone/RRD

Postby windsuks » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:39 pm

I was lucky enough to be at the test for SBC magazine and also try a few of the kites....lets just say I will be sticking with the Screamers (and the Renegades for the waves etc)

It's really cool to try other kites and I know you have to give it time to get used to the feel etc of anything new you try but nothing I tried came close to what I want from a kite.

Today we were out on the ocean side and did a big downwinder in pretty big surf...I love the 5m Renegade!

Jono 111
Frequent Poster

Postby Jono 111 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:02 pm

hmattar -

It's hard to post on an epic thread these days without getting set upon by a bunch of brand affiliates...but here goes. I'm a big believer in forums being, umm, forums for conversation.

Rebels are great kites, not many will argue with that. If after a few years (months!) you're struggling to get 2m of air, there is a reason for that - and its not the kite. Again, few will deny that Rebels are great (and very easy) kites for jumping - and also for stability - and also for charging upwind fantastically. They are very efficient and very fast. And they behave very predictably. All great things for progress.

So there is a different reason why you're struggling, whether it be very few days on the water, or fear, or another reason which is your business. But a couple of things I'd say:

- almost everybody gets in a tangle every now and then - there is no panacea for this. But on the Rebel, you do have the best safety system on the market if things go properly wrong (again, not much argument here). You also have one of the most stable kites in the air when you temporarily lose line tension.

- a new kite isn't going to suddenly make you kite better if there is some other reason why you're progressing slowly.Having said that, it will generally be a positive and exciting experience and may give you new motivation to push forward.

You've posted on an Epic post - and got a bunch of feedback from Epic affilates et al. that Epic kites are fantastic. They may well be - I've never flown one - and I can't blame these guys, they sell or support Epic kites. I would do exactly the same thing in their position.

But I guess my point is...that your Rebel is a very very good kite. It's not going to be what is holding you back, you have the right gear already to progress if you want to.

Good luck.

Return to “Kitesurfing”