Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Denmark
Favorite Beaches: Agger, Hanstholm
Style: Wave and foil. Little freestyle.
Gear: Gin kites, Hyde Kites, Kauper.

Re: Epic Kites 3rd Generation. 3G II

Postby Hasse » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:48 am

Dimitri M wrote:This post was written by Mr.Flysurf77. It's about the SURF 8m prototype kite we have been working on. It looks like we are getting very close.
Few weeks ago I ve been flying/riding the first prototype of the SURF Kite 8m.
The wind was strong and the kite was way to powerful for me in those conditions, specially riding strapless.
What I could realize anyway is that the kite was also kind of slow in the turns/loop, making it even harder to play with.
Few days ago I had the chance to play in the ocean strapless with the new prototype SURF 8m from EPIC.
This time the wind was light, 13/17 knots, with some fun 3/5ft waves to surf.
Getting in the water, 2 guys were just getting out, one on 13m the other on 15m(they were heavier than me tho) and recommending to get a bigger kite to be able to ride!
I came here with the SURF 8m to try it, this is what I m gonna do! I m stubborn!!!
My two buddies joining me for the downwinder decided to leave their 9m kites in the car and pump the 11m.
POWER: I was powered enough to get out of the shore break, powered enough to ride upwind and powered enough to get some good speed down the wave!
I was surprised!
I obviously have to work it a bit in the 13s knots but this is where the turning speed comes in......
TURNING SPEED: Don D has made some great improvement on the briddle length and attachment on the LE and the the new SURF Kite is now turning like CRAZYYYYYYY!
It loops super fast and allow you to downloop it even when already close to the water.
It doesn t loose power or have any delay getting out of the loop.
It allows you to create a great amount of power by moving it up and down.
Nice job!
DRIFT: Even in this light wind condition going down the waves( It was on shore wind) the SURF Kite was just drifting in front of me without loosing tension in the lines allowing me to just surf and play with the wave.
RELAUCH: Pushing it a bit, I rode this long wave almost all the way to shore and after 3/4 kiteloop/downloop I finally crashed the beast in the shore breaks.
It swallowed a couple of big waves, didn t flip over, and I could easily relaunch it pulling one of the back line.
I recommend to use this kite( and the other EPIC in general) with the new 4G bar, as it has a longer throw line needed when surfing down the wave.
One last recommendation, but it would in my opinion work for any kite brand, when riding in the waves and crashing, do not use the 100% safety flag line as you might drift down into your lines and get tangle.
I always use my leash on a ¨Suicide¨mode when in the waves!
I usually ride waves in 25/35 knots so I can t wait to put my hands on the SURF 5m!!!! :naughty:
D, there is 30/35k of wind coming soon, any chance to get one of those mosquito kites!?!?!?!?!
Have a great day.
:mosh:
That means I need a 3 kvm kite here in Denmark then in winds in 36 to 45 knots? ;)?

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: I travel all over the world.
Favorite Beaches: So many to list....
Style: MY OWN STYLE :-)
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.
Just try the EPICKITES and you will see for yourself.
Brand Affiliation: Owner of EPIC KITES
Has thanked: 0

Postby Dimitri M » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:59 am

That means I need a 3 kvm kite here in Denmark then in winds in 36 to 45 knots? ;)?
Hasse I am 100% confident that you will be perfect with the SURF 5m. Any way when the wind blows more then 38 knots it is hard to keep the surf board on the water.

Olivier D
Medium Poster
Gear: Epic Screamer 2010 9m
Slingshot Lunacy
Brand Affiliation: EPIC

Postby Olivier D » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:01 pm

I already have a 2010 9m Screamer and a 2011 12m Screamer. I also used to ride with a 2009 Slingshot Lunacy (129x39). One month ago, I bought a 2010 7m Screamer and a Spartan.

I really like the Lunacy: massive pop and really tough construction. But I started to notice that it was really painful to ride with choppy water and landings where hurtful. I’ve mailed Dimitri and explained him that I was looking for a new 7m Screamer kite and a board similar to the Lunacy but more confortable. He kindly mailed me back and talked to me about a brand new 2010 7m Screamer that he still had and that the Spartan will be the best choice.

I received the whole package 1 week later but only got the chance to ride with it on Saturday at l’Almanarre (south of France). It was blowing 25-30+ knots.

The Spartan is so light compared to the Lunacy (for the same size)! The Spartan is a full woodcore construction so maybe it won’t resist to shocks as much as the Lunacy did, but if I’m careful, I’m sure it won’t be a problem.

I immediately noticed how the weight of the board could literally change everything. The 7m Screamer simply did its job: Massive boosting jumps and enormous hang time. I’m not a heavy rider (70kg). I love my 9m Screamer but the 7m Screamer has a different feeling I can’t really explain. It’s faster and so easy to play with. I talked to my friends when I got back on the beach and explained them how I just re discovered what kitesurfing is!!! A guy was windsurfing next to me when I jumped. He couldn’t believe how high I was. He even shouted “Bravo” and I just answered “Youhou!!!” with a big smile. I’m sure you know what I was feeling right at this moment.

When I jumped with the Lunacy, I was quite wrinkled when landing because the board is not comfortable. The Spartan is completely different. Landings were easy as pie and my knees didn’t hurt at all. I wish I could get my gear at a Team Price like you Ceasar :P :P :P

aleks
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: Ontario
Gear: RDB, Elf
Brand Affiliation: WOO, RDB, Elf

Postby aleks » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:31 pm

tomtombreizh wrote:He kindly mailed me back and talked to me about a brand new 2010 7m Screamer that he still had and that the Spartan will be the best choice.
Did you order a set of replacement valves with your 2010 Screamer? 2010 was the year when valves on Epic kites started leaking after 2-3 sessions or a hot day in a car.

Olivier D
Medium Poster
Gear: Epic Screamer 2010 9m
Slingshot Lunacy
Brand Affiliation: EPIC

Postby Olivier D » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:57 pm

aleks wrote:
tomtombreizh wrote:He kindly mailed me back and talked to me about a brand new 2010 7m Screamer that he still had and that the Spartan will be the best choice.
Did you order a set of replacement valves with your 2010 Screamer? 2010 was the year when valves on Epic kites started leaking after 2-3 sessions or a hot day in a car.

Hello!

The problem was not the valves but the bladders. That's why EPIC sent me an extra set of bladders for the 2010 Screamer.

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.

Postby Dimitri M » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:42 pm

I know you guys have been waiting for the new (4G) XTEND BAR & CL from EpicKites. We have been working on this CL for almost 2 years now and we are ready to release it but the production will be out in August if all works out with our factory.
Also will have few more videos showing you how to retro-fit the new CL with a 2010 or 2011/12 bar. All these videos will be on our new EPIC 4G web site and on this kiteforum or any kiteforum under the new EPICKITES 4G topic. As you can see we never rest.
:thumb:

Once again thank you for all your help and patience.

VIMEO: EPIC 4G XTEND BAR and CHICKEN LOOP

YOUTUBE: EPIC 4G XTEND BAR and CHICKEN LOOP

Flysurf77
Medium Poster
Gear: EPIC KITEBOARDING
Brand Affiliation: IKO/PADI/EPIC/WAINMAN
Been thanked: 0

Postby Flysurf77 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:47 am

An other EPIC sunset session with Renegade 9m 4G, new 4G bar and Droid board.
G0040943.JPG

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Dimitri M » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:33 am

Just wanted to share with you a couple of some of the FACEBOOK & YOUTUBE messages I get from different kiters around the world.
If they only knew that all the EPIC videos they see were just a stunt double and not me. :lol: :lol: :lol:
I am an old man seating behind a desk answering customer emails and taking care of our "customer service". :(
Attachments
People think its me.jpg
People think its me.jpg (76.21 KiB) Viewed 1371 times
Youtubecomment.jpg
Youtubecomment.jpg (52.3 KiB) Viewed 1371 times

alexeyga
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 200
Favorite Beaches: Ocean shore!
Style: Freeride dongling
Gear: Eleveight / Shinn / North / Axis / Slingshot / Airush

Postby alexeyga » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:49 pm

Howdy the Epic fun-boys! Did you miss me at all? :thumb:

Let's start with the good stuff first:

-The more I fly it, the more I'm stoked with the 13LTD V2. This thing is just mental, if the Infinity is even half as good, I'd have no issues suggesting it to anybody... that is if they'll be flying it on a bar other than Epic!!! :bye:
-On of my friends liked my 10LTD for jumping and being able to do tricks while in the air so much that he bought it of me, so even if it will fail the same way as Ceasar's have - you won't be hearing from me! :thumb:

Now - the bad stuff:
-I'm not rich enough to replace the 13LTD and my R7 with something else as well just yet, so if these well fail on me, i'll be glad to share my Epic customer service stories
-Back in March I've got a brand new trimmer for my buddy from Dimitri, he passed it under warranty, we had nothing to pay but the shipping. Thing is - this weekend we were riding in Cape Cod and that piece of garbage has stopped holding as well - and that is after less than 15 outings!!!! How cool is that?

Contacted Dimitri again, got the same usual story that we're the only ones with these trimmers failing (3 in less than 6 months!), offered another replacement if we pay the shipping...

Duh, I don't even find it ridiculous anymore. Nothing but some more of that Epic experience. Who needs a trimmer anyways??? viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2380934

Have fun boys!

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .

Postby L0KI » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:21 pm

1. Learn to edge and quit fiddling with the strap every three minutes.
2. Far more hardcore kiters are kiting with their Epic gear A LOT more sessions monthly than you ever have, and they are not having the problems that plague you and your pals.
3. If you can't find a way to get along with a bar that many, many other people can and do, then do yourself a favor and get a bar with a rope and a cleat, and you can change rope every three weeks. That strap is never gonna make you happy.
4. The reality is, that you want free replacements for bars that others have no problems with (less than .4%).
5. Buy replacement parts because you wear that part out the way you kite, or change the bar a little, it is very simple to customize a bar to your personal needs.
6. There is a new Epic bar coming out soon, and those of us (not me) that feel we would like something more slick and sophisticated, and super awesomely great, can buy one. So feel free to recommend how great the Epic kites fly and point out that there is a new improved bar, just like every company that improves their bar, occasionally.
5. The consensus in your little survey, is that Epic may not be ALL WRONG in their assessment of what is what, when it comes to the purpose of a depower adjuster.

By the way, had a buddy crack (snap the metal piece) the loop off his new Slingshot Comp Stick last evening, while kiting in open deep water.
He will be BUYING a replacement piece today, and he will be paying for shipping.
And he still likes his Slingshot gear.
Different type of person, I guess.

Return to “Kitesurfing”