Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Land a megaloop without stalling the kite...?

Forum for kitesurfers
cuica
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Land a megaloop without stalling the kite...?

Postby cuica » Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:48 pm

I'm getting to the point where I can kiteloop in 30+ knots, and the kite makes it all the way round while I'm still in the air, and it yanks me hard, and I go downwind of the kite, and the kite starts to stall...

I know I should loop it back round the other way to keep the lines taught, but I can't figure out the timing. Mostly I'm landing pretty soon after the kite has finished the loop - am I just not going high enough?

In the videos there's seems to be lots of time to loop the kite the other way - even twice, and the landings are pretty soft. Mine are not like that...

Any tips much appreciated!

nikalaitzian
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Loutsa Nissakia,Oropos,Vouliagmeni
Style: wave,bigair,megaloops,hydrofoil,wingfoil
Gear: Epic kites,BTS kiteboards,cohete surfboards,SAB,GAC hydrofoils
Brand Affiliation: Epic Kites,GAC

Re: Land a megaloop without stalling the kite...?

Postby nikalaitzian » Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:39 pm

cuica wrote:I'm getting to the point where I can kiteloop in 30+ knots, and the kite makes it all the way round while I'm still in the air, and it yanks me hard, and I go downwind of the kite, and the kite starts to stall...

I know I should loop it back round the other way to keep the lines taught, but I can't figure out the timing. Mostly I'm landing pretty soon after the kite has finished the loop - am I just not going high enough?

In the videos there's seems to be lots of time to loop the kite the other way - even twice, and the landings are pretty soft. Mine are not like that...

when you feel that the kite is over you pull the bar hard for a second kiteloop.after you feel confident go for a downloop ..PRACTICE!!!

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A

Postby dyyylan » Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:31 pm

If you watch videos of the pro megaloopers they almost always throw in a downloop before they land

cuica
Medium Poster

Postby cuica » Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:06 pm

So just go for a second loop? I guess I have to pull the second loop (or the downloop) before I am too far under the kite...

JGTR
Very Frequent Poster

Postby JGTR » Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:36 pm

I think they just fly the kite forward so that it doesn't end up behind them??

Frank82
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Wijk aan Zee, IJburg, Schellinkhout, Medemblik - Netherlands
Style: freestyle / wakestyle / big air / wave
Gear: Eleveight

Postby Frank82 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:42 pm

To have enough time you need to go higher, pull the loop/downloop the moment the kite is behind you, this way you should be fine. I'm pretty much at the same level and always downloop my kite after a big loop.

boardjockey
Medium Poster
Local Beach: MAUI
Style: all
Gear: Cabrinha, Naish, North, Ozone

Postby boardjockey » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:42 pm

cuica wrote:I'm getting to the point where I can kiteloop in 30+ knots, and the kite makes it all the way round while I'm still in the air, and it yanks me hard, and I go downwind of the kite, and the kite starts to stall...

It sounds like the kite isn't catching you.

This isn't always the case, but when I see riders first try them they usually don't have enough speed built up before the pop and they throw the loop too late.

jespin4845
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Worth, FL
Jupiter, FL
Style: Freeride/surf
Gear: kites and boards

Postby jespin4845 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:45 pm

All the above and also when i boost big i start out with the kite a bit lower, looping the kite is always at 12 when i send it so that i guess the loop is higher rather than deeper in the window, thats in low 20 knots, in 30 knots it shouldnt make a big difference

cuica
Medium Poster

Postby cuica » Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:40 am

Frank82 wrote:It sounds like the kite isn't catching you.
No, the kite is catching me, it finishes the loop and is back up at 12 0'clock before I land, but I am travelling downwind and the kite ends up behind me.

I know it's just a case of another loop, or a downloop, to keep it in front of me. I'll keep trying! Now, just need some more wind!

JGTR
Very Frequent Poster

Postby JGTR » Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:47 am

cuica wrote:
Frank82 wrote:It sounds like the kite isn't catching you.
No, the kite is catching me, it finishes the loop and is back up at 12 0'clock before I land, but I am travelling downwind and the kite ends up behind me.

I know it's just a case of another loop, or a downloop, to keep it in front of me. I'll keep trying! Now, just need some more wind!
Just fly it forward so it doesn't end up behind you!

Return to “Kitesurfing”