Nobile
Slingshot
Airush
Spleene
Brunotti
Aboards
etc, etc

are all names easy to forget!

And, "shitty" is also an easy name to remember, and rimes with fishy! ;-)

It seems to me that you are experimenting with marketing... and you want to take that risk!

Change the name and save yourself all the jokes related to fishy !!!!!

Good Luck again!

E.

fishyboards wrote:
Brock Landers wrote:You actually have a point. To be honest the first time I heard the name I thought the same thing and I am American and yes the word "fishy" does have a negative meaning when used with describing things. Cool logo and design. If you used the scientific name for fish then you would be called Ichthyoid Boards.
eloico wrote:I am not English native speaker, I thought "fishy" has got a negative meaning, but it seems that it is not always the case... :oops:

Good luck!
Thanks for the input guys. To be honest and in my defense, Fishy as a brand name may have a negative connotation to some people, but it's that same connotation that makes it catchy, funny, and easy to remember. Many brands have name that's easy to forget because it's so generic. Successful brands have names that you can't get out of your head. I have an Internet marketing expert on my side with the name. He loves it. Also, what's easier to remember, Fishy or ichthyoid?

fishyboards
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Cocoa Beach area Florida
Favorite Beaches: Fred Howard Park, Tarpon Springs, FL
Style: Wake
Gear: Slingshot, Liquid Force, and North kites on Fishy boards
Brand Affiliation: Fishy
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Fishy Boards, A Unique Brand New Custom Board Company

Postby fishyboards » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:12 am

eloico wrote:you are right:

North
Naish
Best
Cabrinha
Fone
Nobile
Slingshot
Airush
Spleene
Brunotti
Aboards
etc, etc

are all names easy to forget!

And, "shitty" is also an easy name to remember, and rimes with fishy! ;-)

It seems to me that you are experimenting with marketing... and you want to take that risk!

Change the name and save yourself all the jokes related to fishy !!!!!

Good Luck again!

E.

Good luck!
[/quote][/quote]

I was curious about connotations and looked up the names to a few kiteboarding companies on urban dictionary. Apparently Slingshot, North, Spleene and a few others all have bad, gross, or sexual connotations to them. Slingshot actually had the most sexual connotations out of all the brands I've seen. Thing is, for just about every word in the english language... a bad connotation or slang definition can be applied. Try looking up some company names on urban dictionary. I actually found a lot of humor in it.

Anyway, thank you for the input about the name. I still like it though and I'm going to keep it. If "fishy" means bad, sketchy, or untrustworthy... then Fishy Boards will all be amazing. It'll be ironic, like a man named Tiny when he's actually 7 feet tall.

DirkGently
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby DirkGently » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:52 am

Hey, good luck with your company, dont listen to any morons on kiteforum about naming...design.....or graphics. Just do your own thing.

I'm assuming your building the boards yourself ? Make sure to take proper precautions in PPE when working with epoxy and fibreglass - the last thing you need is for your success to kill you.

C Johnson
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Seattle / Hood River
Style: Freeride, Surf, Foil
Gear: whatever I want
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby C Johnson » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:26 am

so what's so unique about your boards? Its not a secret I hope

Anabatic_co_nz
Medium Poster
Local Beach: New Zealand
Gear: 12m 9m and 7m Skull Kite
Brand Affiliation: Founder of Kiteboarding.RED

Postby Anabatic_co_nz » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:41 am

Fishy is having a poke at the big brands, I like that.
My one is called HELL Boardriders!
Mine might be taking it too far with the name, but it's just about having fun while marketing solid products.

Go the small guys I say.
You are off to a good start.

Fishy in NZ often means 'not right', but it is slang and comical.
So if say someone said those Kites are 25% off and just as good, that's a bit Fishy. Means either the higher priced ones are too dear or the cheaper ones are too cheap.
Something Fishy going on here. Good on ya.

Regards Lee
http://www.HellBoardriders.com
Blatant plug

fishyboards
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Cocoa Beach area Florida
Favorite Beaches: Fred Howard Park, Tarpon Springs, FL
Style: Wake
Gear: Slingshot, Liquid Force, and North kites on Fishy boards
Brand Affiliation: Fishy

Postby fishyboards » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:24 am

Thanks for the positive feedback guys.
C Johnson wrote:so what's so unique about your boards? Its not a secret I hope
What's unique? For one, our designs and shapes. All our shapes and graphics are named after sea creatures keeping with the name including the Tuna, Pacu, and Thresher. The designs look great for the standard boards, and some of the shapes are traditional and some are are very progressive. Two, the fact that you can customize literally anything on the board is very unique.
DirkGently wrote:Hey, good luck with your company, dont listen to any morons on kiteforum about naming...design.....or graphics. Just do your own thing.

I'm assuming your building the boards yourself ? Make sure to take proper precautions in PPE when working with epoxy and fibreglass - the last thing you need is for your success to kill you.
Yes we're building the boards ourselves by hand, and we're taking the proper safety precautions. Thank you!
Anabatic_co_nz wrote:Fishy is having a poke at the big brands, I like that.
Mine might be taking it too far with the name, but it's just about having fun while marketing solid products.

Go the small guys I say.

So if say someone said those Kites are 25% off and just as good, that's a bit Fishy. Means either the higher priced ones are too dear or the cheaper ones are too cheap.

Regards Lee
Blatant plug
Thanks for the support! To be honest there is something fishy going on with the industry. Board manufacturers charge way too much! 900 dollars for a generic carbon kiteboard? That's not right if you ask me.

bsideindy
Medium Poster

Postby bsideindy » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:44 am

There used to be a snowboard company named "Smelly Tuna". I think you guys are on the right track.

flybykite
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Nitinat Lake, BC, Canada
Mui Ne, Vietnam
Style: Old School
Gear: Shinn Monk
V8K Ozone Edges 7&9

Postby flybykite » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:11 am

the fact that you can customize literally anything on the board
Does that mean you will do custom rockers, glass layup options for different flex, shapes, handles, fins, rails, along with our graphics? That would be interesting! I'd like to have my own board. Arrgh! I'd still want to demo it first :angryfire:
I hope you do well with your Biz. Its a good idea not many offer, even if it were only for personal graphics.

C Johnson
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Seattle / Hood River
Style: Freeride, Surf, Foil
Gear: whatever I want
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby C Johnson » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:52 am

Look up MTH kiteboard on ebay. It seems like it would be in your best interest to differentiate yourself more. There's already a few low cost custom shops around cranking out twin tips.

Have you considered making directionals like maybe some kite specific skims and alaias?

The industry is too big right now and its really hard to break into the market and make a name for yourself. Good luck with your business venture.
fishyboards wrote:Thanks for the positive feedback guys.
C Johnson wrote:so what's so unique about your boards? Its not a secret I hope
What's unique? For one, our designs and shapes. All our shapes and graphics are named after sea creatures keeping with the name including the Tuna, Pacu, and Thresher. The designs look great for the standard boards, and some of the shapes are traditional and some are are very progressive. Two, the fact that you can customize literally anything on the board is very unique.
DirkGently wrote:Hey, good luck with your company, dont listen to any morons on kiteforum about naming...design.....or graphics. Just do your own thing.

Yes we're building the boards ourselves by hand, and we're taking the proper safety precautions. Thank you!
Anabatic_co_nz wrote:Fishy is having a poke at the big brands, I like that.

Go the small guys I say.

Regards Lee
Blatant plug
Thanks for the support! To be honest there is something fishy going on with the industry. Board manufacturers charge way too much! 900 dollars for a generic carbon kiteboard? That's not right if you ask me.

tkettlepoint
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Jellyfish boards custom boards
Brand Affiliation: Jellyfish Boards

Postby tkettlepoint » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:53 am

Just do your best on what you can do... We have been at if for 10 years now building boards anything from twin tip to snowboards and anything in between for kiting.

Make sure you are covering your costs it is a hard market out there.
I do agree about the cost of production boards being too high but watch out when they start dumping last years models for less then you can make them for. When you start ordering pads and fins you have to order a min amount to get them price effective.

Email me if you have any questions that I might help out with.

And yes I like your name :wink: sounds something like ours jellyfishboards
Don't worry what people say about the name let the boards to the talking. If they are good then the name will be remembered.

Terrie
terrie@jellyfishboards.ca

Return to “Kitesurfing”