Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Emergency - Flagging out kites

Forum for kitesurfers
bnthere
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island and South Texas USA

Hood River and the Columbia River Gorge USA
Favorite Beaches: South Padre Island Texas: year round the best flatwater and fall - winter - spring fun wave riding as well.
Style: all styles of kite riding
Gear: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Brand Affiliation: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Seadoo
Headzone
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Emergency - Flagging out kites

Postby bnthere » Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:24 pm

andkite, that is a very good post regarding bar recovery after disabling the kite.

those techniques are spot on. i like how you include information regarding preparedness to re-release as the lines reset tension in case of line tangles or snags on the kite. that is very important to impart to people (knowledge of likely situations to be prepared for potential problems, and how to be ready to deal with them)

Jono 111
Frequent Poster

Postby Jono 111 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:24 pm

Yep Bille....that's how the North 5th line works.

The kite releases onto a single front line and is harmless - fully flagged out, no power.

Then if you want to relaunch from the water, just put your CL back together if you released it, get the bar back and away you go again.

If you're packing down from this flagged position in the water, simply wrap the 5th on the bar a few times then wind all lines together as normal. No tangles....

AndKite
Medium Poster
Style: Freeride, waves

Postby AndKite » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:32 pm

bnthere wrote:andkite, that is a very good post regarding bar recovery after disabling the kite.

those techniques are spot on. i like how you include information regarding preparedness to re-release as the lines reset tension in case of line tangles or snags on the kite. that is very important to impart to people (knowledge of likely situations to be prepared for potential problems, and how to be ready to deal with them)
Thanks. I do know the procedure by heart, we teach each and every student this and we have had a few of those passing through the school.

Blatantly grabbing and resetting the CL may work, but may also get you in trouble as the kite will start pulling and resetting the flag/5th line as soon as you grab the CL. If you are not fast enough resetting the CL you may end up with a fully powered kite holding on to the CL. If you are lucky you just let go of the CL and retry. If you are unlucky flag/5th line has caught on to something (leg, arm, harness, board..) or you have some other tangle, and you may be in bigger problem.

Of course, experienced kiters may be able to see if lines are fine or not, and thus can take the decision wether to to full recovery procedure or "short version" but it is dangerous to teach/show this as it may become dangerous for the unlucky/unexperienced.

Any kite using a full lenght 5th line is essentially the same as a front line flagging kite. Same technique can and should be used.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:28 pm

tks bnthere, I dont ride naish so I wasnt sure about that one. So to summarize,

for 4 line kites as of 2012

Y-mini-5th line quick release: cabrinha, best, north, airush, epic, switch, gk, core, ocean rodeo

single center line flag out: ozone, slingshot, liquid force, wainman, blade, naish

I don't want to comment on older kite control bars because it would take a spreadsheet to get all the details right.

Bille if you have single center line flag out if you don't want the bar to shoot all the way up put one of these

With a short piece of line figure 8 knotted and then larks headed and lock stitched 10 meters up on your line. It will stop the bar and if you attach it correctly won't decrease line strength. This is what ozone uses on their flag out line.

jmach
Medium Poster
Gear: none
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby jmach » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:33 pm

AndKite wrote:
Bille wrote:
I would like a flag-out system that i could pull back in and relaunch without
all my lines getting tangled ; does that exist ?

Bille
If you do a proper bar recovery procedure, you should be fine. Done it a gazillion times with my students, and it usually works like a charm.

For anyone not knowing what i mean by that, here below is what I teach my students. You can and should practice this. It can be done dry, with kite landed, the first time. If you have doubts, ask certified instructor or someone you know has this knowledge.

Bar recovery procedure
For one front line flag or Y mini 5th system (flag system should have stopper ball):
After you released the bar, and you are ready to recover and relaunch, approach the bar by pulling the flag/5th line with your hands ON TOP of the line (so you can let it go in case something happens, without risk of burning or getting snagged). Do not collect the line, just let it pass you floating.

Once at the bar, do not go for the CL. Hold on tight to the flag/5th line w one hand and grab preferred bar end (no matter what side). Begin rolling flag/5th line around bar end to lock. Best is to wind all flag/5th line until leash attachments, less risk of getting legs tangled, especially if in deep water. When all line is rolled, attach with half hitch. Now you have your bar, the kite is flagged and the flag/5th line is secure and the kite wont power up.

Now, one option is to roll all lines on bar like when packing to securely approach kite for self rescue or packdown. You reach the kite with a tidy bar, no lines hanging around or anything.

Other option is now to reset chicken loop and connect it to your harness. Then undo the half hitches on the flag/5th line. Start unrolling until only a few turns are left on the bar. Pause here and check if kite looks good. If so, undo the last turns, hold on tight to flag/5th line.

Let go of bar, grab safety release on CL, release the flag/5th line completely. Dont let the line drag through your hands, don't hinder the line, just let the kite pull the line through in its own pace. If you hold on to the flag/5th line during this, it might cause the kite to behave strangely. Keep you hand on the safety release in case something happens, and look at the kite.

This should reset your kite to relaunchable position in a safe and tangle free manor. If something happens, pull safety again and redo procedure if possible.

Remember, even if lines happen to be inverted (steering lines run through middle of front lines) the kite can still function and fly thus take you back to the beach. Just take it easy, no big moves.

Is this still the preferred method for single front line flag out bar recovery?

Bushflyr
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: OR Razor 7m
Caution Spitfire 9m, 10m
Firewire Vanguard 5' 4"
Naish Global 5' 10"
Shinn Monk

Postby Bushflyr » Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:58 am

jmach wrote:
Is this still the preferred method for single front line flag out bar recovery?
Yeah. Ball it up and swim in. Because that's what you're going to wind up with in the real world. 2 Front line flag is by far the best for all but rank beginners.

matthepp
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: RMP
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana
Kino Bay
Red Mountain Pass
Style: Rich
Gear: OR Flite 15m
OR Razor 12m
OR Prodigy 7m 9.5m
BD Carbon Megawatts
Slingshot Dwarfcraft/ Gamma 68
Brand Affiliation: Alpine Edge Engineering

Postby matthepp » Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:35 am

Bushflyr wrote:. 2 Front line flag is by far the best for all but rank beginners.
With all due respect, I call bullshit.

Bushflyr
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: OR Razor 7m
Caution Spitfire 9m, 10m
Firewire Vanguard 5' 4"
Naish Global 5' 10"
Shinn Monk

Postby Bushflyr » Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:41 am

matthepp wrote: With all due respect, I call bullshit.
OK. So back it up with evidence.

I've used single flag systems. If you punch the release you wind up, yes, depowering your kite, but you wind up with an irrecoverable mess. Time to swim in.

Now I use a dual flag system. I punch the release and it works perfectly. The kite depowers and everything stops. BUT, all I have to do is grab the centerline and reload the chicken loop and I'm back kiting. No small consideration when I'm over a mile offshore in double overhead surf.

So, matthepp, I, with "all due respect," submit that you have no idea WTF you're talking about.

naishdude
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Holland
Spain
Danemark
France
Favorite Beaches: everywhere at the seaside, where it is allowed to kite
Style: cruising& wave
Gear: Airush Sector 54 V5, Cypher5'8 active, compact 5'6, Compact5'5 active, Limit Waves custom 5'6
Ozone reo V5 12 9 7 5
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby naishdude » Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:13 am

Sorry guys small correction.
SWITCH CONTROLLER 2 is a single frontline

http://switchkites.com/bars/controller2.html

Cheers , dude :cool2:

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:31 am

Bushflyr wrote: ...
2 Front line flag is by far the best for all but rank beginners.
I didn't know my Ozone Edge , would flag on two front lines ?
Can you tell me how to mod it , so it does that ?

On second thought ; forget it !!
I doubt that your smarter than the designers at Ozone . -------------------- :lol:

Bille

Return to “Kitesurfing”