All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: HQ Neo 3 ,anyone with direct experience ? (closed cell foil)
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:38 am 
Rare Poster

HQ Neo 3

looking at this kite for a 55kg rider in 8m. Got an offer at the moment but rarely find useful reviews on the web. Anyone with direct experience ? (also in comparison to a LEI?) Thx.

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: HQ Neo 3 ,anyone with direct experience ? (closed cell f
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:07 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

It is not a water kite, I flown it for a while for a friend, he sold it right away. Got a second one from HQ rep, wing tip collapsing, it is not for water use.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:26 pm 
Rare Poster

My experience with that kite is different.

I had Matrixx 9, 12, 15 and the Neo3 6m. for a while. I thought it was a very good low aspect foil kite. I found it very stable, huge range, and it often relaunched automatically. Actually I liked it very much. I had a review at foilzone but that site seems to be gone.

In the end I went back to LEI because I think they are better when surfing waves.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:56 pm 
Rare Poster

...found this on yt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWuRpVek-AA

seems to be pretty stable...Somewhere else I read the Neo 3 has "super light" bar pressure...

The offer I got is around 1/2 of the list price in "mint" condition...Makes me also a little suspicious...

HQ usually has good quality. How is that on Neo 3 ? Are they durable ? How they fly in light wind ?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:48 am 
Rare Poster

I only know HQ form the Matrixx and the Neo3 and they are of the same quality. Matrixx has thinner bridle lines but cloth and build is the same. Never had an issue with either model. It has the zipper on the back to let air out which I dislike. You can't untwist the front lines without taking the leash off because it rotates with the swivel below the bar- which is stupid.

Bar pressure on both models is light. I don't know if you are used to foils but if not it does require some getting used to. I was used to flying the Matrixx kites when I got it and the Neo was an easy kite. In contrast to the Matrixx it had no backstall at all. The 6 is very good in light wind but I'm sure it comes from the speed of the kite. I guess it will loose some of that in the bigger sizes. It crossed over nicely with the matrixx 9.

If you want a low aspect closed cell foil I think it is a very good option.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:01 pm 
Rare Poster

Would the HQ Neo 8m suit a 13year old boy with 55kg as the FIRST KITE after some extensive training on a 3m Rush Pro and some school lessons? I would prefer the 6m but the 8m is the only one on offer atm... Want to give it in combination with a 128x36 board, a harness and helmet + Impact Vest of course.

I like the fact of low bar pressure and also it seems like the distance of the bar to sheet the kite is not that far, as seen on other bars from LEIs. Seems like it could be used with some "shorter arms"...

What you think?

What I read the Neo3 is pretty good and also it mentioned here that it does not backstall anymore. Easy relaunch, low bar pressure etc...Reads really like a pretty good kite. But somewhere else I also read it is not suited for beginners. Why?

And how is the safety (very important!) ? I know it is a 5th liner, which is good. But I read about someone tested the 8m and said it folded many times and unfolded again in the powerzone. And that would be not very cool, especially for a beginner/ kid...What is your experience? Thx.

[ 6 posts ]