Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Build a seat harness project

Forum for kitesurfers
nicor
Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Build a seat harness project

Postby nicor » Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:25 am

I'm working on a little project to build a seat harness that would work with my waist harness.

Anyone know what would be a good durable material to build it from? The material should be flexible, I'm thinking like a canvas but not made out of cotton, kinda like a nylon product.

Also where can I buy the nylon straps, and buckles from.

Thanks

mariod2
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Build a seat harness project

Postby mariod2 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:03 pm

would aramid/kevlar do the job?

It is a bit hard to work with and costly.

cheers

nicor
Frequent Poster

Postby nicor » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:10 pm

Thanks but I think I figured it out myself. Ballistic Nylon is the stuff and I think its readily available.

I'm going to a sail maker to help me with my project when I realized I couldn't get anyone in my family to sew parts together because of the thickness of the webbing. I think they can order anything I need.

rightguard
Very Frequent Poster

Postby rightguard » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:15 pm

It would be fun to see what you come up with. I've always liked seat harnesses but would like a higher hook height.

nicor
Frequent Poster

Postby nicor » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:08 pm

I'm just trying to improve on what I found to be a very good design.

Which includes a high hook position and better flexibility.We'll see.

Bradn
Medium Poster
Style: Race
Gear: Ozone R1 V2, Custom race foil

Postby Bradn » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:48 pm

It should be possible, I know of a few olympic windsurfers that made their own, mostly kevlar, very light, but maybe some padding is needed for kitesurfing, not the most comfortable, many a few bruises..

William Munney
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: West Meadow, GSB
Gear: North X-Ride, Airush Sector 60, North Rebels, 6m, 7m, 9m, 12m, 16m

Postby William Munney » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:01 am

nicor wrote:I'm working on a little project to build a seat harness that would work with my waist harness.

Anyone know what would be a good durable material to build it from? The material should be flexible, I'm thinking like a canvas but not made out of cotton, kinda like a nylon product.

Also where can I buy the nylon straps, and buckles from.

Thanks
Sounds like a project that could end up severing something!

el_guestos
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Tarifa
Brand Affiliation: Owner of Kite School in Tarifa

Postby el_guestos » Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:25 pm

Very keen to see the results of this

Miltsface
Frequent Poster

Postby Miltsface » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:25 pm

I added a mod to my waist harness that accomplishes what you are talking about but is a bit simpler and doesn't restrict leg movement at all. Essentially adding leg straps that attach to the straps on either side of the spreader bar. I've found it helps a lot if you're back is tired or if I'm going out OP'd. I used to have an ocean rodeo session harness, and it's basically a copy of that

I made loops out of 1" webbing that go around the webbing that the spreader bar attaches to, and sewed the receiver end of a "snap buckle" (like you'd find on a backpack), pointing downward. I actually used the straps from my old OR harness, but they are basically an adjustible loop of 1 1/2" (or maybe 2") webbing with some padding sewn on, which have the male end of the buckle at the top. When I want the leg straps, I just snap them in. Works great. If anyone is interested, i can post pics, but its essentially the same concept as below, but with a different attachement point for the straps. In fact, I think attaching the straps to the webbing holding the spreader bar instead of the harness works better because thats where the upward pull in a jump is coming from. It tranfers that pull to the leg straps and you get no ride-up
Attachments
or sess.jpg
or sess.jpg (32.8 KiB) Viewed 2103 times

aircatcher
Frequent Poster

Postby aircatcher » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:15 am

Miltsface wrote:I added a mod to my waist harness that accomplishes what you are talking about but is a bit simpler and doesn't restrict leg movement at all. Essentially adding leg straps that attach to the straps on either side of the spreader bar. I've found it helps a lot if you're back is tired or if I'm going out OP'd. I used to have an ocean rodeo session harness, and it's basically a copy of that

I made loops out of 1" webbing that go around the webbing that the spreader bar attaches to, and sewed the receiver end of a "snap buckle" (like you'd find on a backpack), pointing downward. I actually used the straps from my old OR harness, but they are basically an adjustible loop of 1 1/2" (or maybe 2") webbing with some padding sewn on, which have the male end of the buckle at the top. When I want the leg straps, I just snap them in. Works great. If anyone is interested, i can post pics, but its essentially the same concept as below, but with a different attachement point for the straps. In fact, I think attaching the straps to the webbing holding the spreader bar instead of the harness works better because thats where the upward pull in a jump is coming from. It tranfers that pull to the leg straps and you get no ride-up
Yes ,please post more pictures,thx.

Return to “Kitesurfing”