Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Kiteboarder´s life...... being a parent?

Forum for kitesurfers
ed257
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Kiteboarder´s life...... being a parent?

Postby ed257 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:54 pm

fourperf wrote:I will give you a different perspective. I am probably a few years older than you but not much. I have 3 kids. 18,16,14 (I started young). My oldest son rides for a kite company and my youngest kites just for fun. My daughter in in college. I started kiting in 2001 and like most of you kited every second I could. My job allowed me to and I kited almost every day it blew for about 5 yrs. My kids were very young. My wife was good with it saying as long as I was happy. I was a slave to the wind. Now that my daughter is gone and my son is about to go I regret all of the things I missed when they were young. All the soccer games and parties because the forecast was for wind. If I could do it all over again I would most certainly do it differently. I took a year or so off because I just got tired of all the bs. When My boys wanted to learn to kite I taught them. I kite a lot again but itys with my boys (it sucks teaching your kids btw). The moral of the story is enjoy you kids and spend as much time with them as you can. It goes by so quickly and you dont get it back. Kiting is going nowhere.
congratulations!
Mark
I am 55 and have kids 26, 19, 10. I agree with Mark. If you are out kiting and the little monkey on your shoulder makes you feel guilty then you'll know you need to spend more time with the kids. I coached their youth sports teams, did scouts, etc but still feel that I should have done less windsurfing and kitesurfing and spent more time with the kids. They are young only once and they grew up very fast. If you find the balance everyone will be happy and you won't feel guilty when you go kiting.

Ed

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:36 pm

ed257 wrote:
fourperf wrote:I will give you a different perspective. I am probably a few years older than you but not much. I have 3 kids. 18,16,14 (I started young). My oldest son rides for a kite company and my youngest kites just for fun. My daughter in in college. I started kiting in 2001 and like most of you kited every second I could. My job allowed me to and I kited almost every day it blew for about 5 yrs. My kids were very young. My wife was good with it saying as long as I was happy. I was a slave to the wind. Now that my daughter is gone and my son is about to go I regret all of the things I missed when they were young. All the soccer games and parties because the forecast was for wind. If I could do it all over again I would most certainly do it differently. I took a year or so off because I just got tired of all the bs. When My boys wanted to learn to kite I taught them. I kite a lot again but itys with my boys (it sucks teaching your kids btw). The moral of the story is enjoy you kids and spend as much time with them as you can. It goes by so quickly and you dont get it back. Kiting is going nowhere.
congratulations!
Mark
I am 55 and have kids 26, 19, 10. I agree with Mark. If you are out kiting and the little monkey on your shoulder makes you feel guilty then you'll know you need to spend more time with the kids. I coached their youth sports teams, did scouts, etc but still feel that I should have done less windsurfing and kitesurfing and spent more time with the kids. They are young only once and they grew up very fast. If you find the balance everyone will be happy and you won't feel guilty when you go kiting.

Ed
I'm fighting the ballance right now. I'm torn 2 ways. my adrenaline rush side of me wants to kite all day and night. the father in me wants to be with the kids.

I think i've got the ballance right for now but its a struggle fighting away the desire to do more kiting.

I'll kite once on the weekend for 2 to 2.5 hours and work through a couple of lunches and finish early and have a session during the week.

Oh and i have 2 man weekends away during the year.

I'll make all my kids events, unless work prevents me and every other daylight second i spend with the kids.

But still the green kiting monster tries to draw me into more and more kiting.

Its a tough battle.

One thing is certain. If i don't get out i go postal worker.

ulx
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: St. Peter-Ording, Germany
Favorite Beaches: Klitmøller (Denmark) and South Africa
Style: Strapless Surf- and Foilboard
Gear: Slingshot SST 8,7,6,5
Firewire Vader
Ketos Foil with Kakoo board 108x44

Postby ulx » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:06 pm

My girl is 2 an I love being with her. But if I can only kite at the weekends and maybe even not everyone of those I am not a great person to be around with. Unfortunately my wife sees kiting as a monster that takes me away from her and my girl at the moment. Before the child came she really liked kiting herself. Now I do all I can to get sessions at the weekends and we have just agreed that Tuesdays will my day without family-responsibilities. On top of that, sometimes I can manage to get a short session when I´m gone for the job. Never great conditions, but anyway. I have become practically oblivious to the quality of conditions. I am just happy for every minute I can spend on the water and still have a happy family at home.

gvironda
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Torbole, Garda Lake
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa, Lefkada, Capo Mannu, Naxos, Tuscany,
Gear: North
Been thanked: 0

Postby gvironda » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:15 pm

congratulations!
Mark
Amazing post Mark
i have a 3 year kid. So far so good, I had to miss a few sessions, but I realize my kid needs me a lot, so I do short sessions and play with him in the waves
I was a windsurfer, and I must say it is MUCH MUCH better for family. Beaches are always nicer, you find plenty of amazing schools with spaces for kids, and you can go off and in the water much easier than with a kite
unfortunately, i still prefer kite :-)
Good luck for the twins, it will be amazing experience, even deeper than a kiteloop ;-)

papasmerf
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Weight: 195
Local Beach: west coast
Style: lawn mower
Gear: Slingshot, North, moses, flysurfers, some ozone again, and 17 years of accumulated kite stuff
Brand Affiliation: I like slingshot and north. good folks

Postby papasmerf » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:43 am

I am also (now) a stay at home dad, kids 7 and 11. i was addicted to kitesurfing for the last 10 years, but i soon learned that i was more addicted to my kids. i get out when i can, and many of my friends with no kids or wife can't figure out how i kitesurf so much,,, but i only kitesurf when the kids are at school essentially, when you are older you will think back and wish you had spent more time with your kids instead of kitesurfing.

listen to fourper and ed257, (hey ed, cierra says to say hi, btw) put kitesurfing on the low priority list without a doubt

i took my kids on trips all summer, kited 5 or 6 times, and i didn't even miss it that much.

in fact, typing this is taking away time from my kids so remember,,,,,your kids are way more important than anything else.

knyfe
Very Frequent Poster

Postby knyfe » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:33 am

lots of good input. My 2 lessons. If the family joins you on the beach make sure you have a beach tent with you. They need something to be covered and protected from the wind and the sand. The pop ups with mesh "windows" are not good enought. You need a real closed cover on the upwind side and an open on the other. Closed on 3 sides like that

And they need food. Keeps everyone happy.

Additionally I changed my spots to areas where the family would have a good windcover and can also enjoy the day on the beach and not be nagged by the flying sand which is a big no no.

Enjoy your time - its awesome. G

bri
Frequent Poster

Postby bri » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:06 pm

Just had twins in Nov 11 so they just coming up to one We also have a 13 yr old daughter and she is a great help with them, many hands make light work. Interesting to read Marks comments below as I’ve just got back from a kite trip and by the end of it was missing the kids (and the missus ;-) )

I’d say be on top off all the jobs that need doing as much as you can, you’ll never have everything done anyway, it’s endless. We got a cleaner for 2hrs a week just to take some of the pressure off, you might want to consider that. Also at some point your missus will crack and give you a load, be prepared for that (before and after they arrive, man she’ll get big so you got to be on your toes around the house.) When I think about it now most of it is a blur. Prior to the birth The midwife told us not to have a fixed plan and that we had to adapt to what was happening right then & the plan could change each day and in the end was changing by the hour. It’s important to let the family know this and they need to understand you’re not being short with them but family arrangements need to come second to the missus and the twins. We had an idea of the birth we wanted and the actual birth was 180 degrees in the opposite direction, you need to be prepared for that and not see it as a disappointment just moving in a new direction as the best thing for all.

Also get everything prepared for when they come home, get the creche nice and be the bad ass of getting all the daily things sorted, nappies, wipes, etc, etc.

After I found it’s important that she see other adults in the day so she can have some normal conversation, offload and meet other women in the same situation. Rather than you be the first adult she’s seen in the day having been dealing with babies 24-7. You’ll know it when it happens ;-)) If you can use whatever support is around you.

Once their into a routine it’s easier but they’ll still wake up at different times so the nights can be a lot to handle, the lack of sleep doesn’t help either.
If there is a word for twins it’s routine, they have to eat and sleep at the time, just for your own sanity. Ours go to bed at 7pm and we make sure they play their little asses off prior to that.

There is no doubt it will put a stress on your relationship we said to each other that we knew this stress was coming and if we argued we’d try and just see it as the stress and it’d get easier, which it does. We also, once they were a bit bigger got the grandparents to look after them for the weekends so we had some time together. Grandparents love that kind of thing.

Kiting wise we did a trial run earlier in the year in our 1.2 VW Polo. Me, missus, Sophia (13) & Twins, Kite and Beach Gear. The Car Park was full of VW T5’s which I’ve been thinking of getting for a while now, all I can say it was intense, the car cramped and weighed down to the rims. I came in from the water with Sophia stood outside the little tent we have for the wind, sand blowing everywhere. She said to me “I wouldn’t go in there” I went back to the shop and bought the biggest wind break they had, that 45 mins earlier I’d refused to buy because of the price. After that we decided to buy the VW T5 and I’ve been converting it over last summer.

For holidays this year we stayed in the UK and booked accommodation right by, walking distance the beach. We paid a bit more for the flexibility of being right there, having the option to walk back for things etc & didn’t want the hassle of packing a car every day. It was definitely worth it.

So the van has already been put to good use and will allow us to go away for days as a family, they have somewhere to go if the weather gets too much. I’m planning on putting some more extras in the van this winter, leisure battery, solar panels, laptop hook up etc and a pop top roof. As for solo away days I try to make sure that I’m up to speed with jobs etc and cut the session time on the water to get back handy.
This last year I’ve dropped the marginal days off and just gone when the winds been in. Sessions now through the winter I’ll probably give a miss and spend more time with the family. There’s not so much I’ll miss from freezing my ass off through the winter.

Other than that I have a week or so for a kite trip. It would be different if I was off to Ibiza clubbing all week but she is cool with a kite trip. I think I’m actually a nicer person after a kite session, the adrenalin after burn fuzzzes out all the edges of the day. I understand I now have more responsibilities but I don’t understand the mentality of stopping doing what makes me tick, if I did that I’d just become angry and bitter. If say I was in the pub all the time or out clubbing all weekend yeah I get that would be pushing it.

I do actually believe you can have such a crap day then go kiting, come off the water with some of the answers you were looking for. I was talking to an old windsurf dude the other summer and he was like the after burn is as close to stoned you can get without smoking it. There are days when you come off the water buzzing. I’ve just had a trip which reconfirmed everything I knew about kiting, the simple joy and kiting from one wave to the next, mile after mile, after mile. Watching people come off the water with massive smiles on their faces and as someone said, “all those waves are for free.” Those are the things I’d like my kids to experience for themselves, instead of hanging round street corners getting wasted.

The missus loves the outdoors, the wildness so that’s why we’ve plunged to make kiting inclusive for her and the kids. We’ll see how we get on in 2013 with the van but I’m positive it’ll be good.

Tiago1973
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Portugal
Style: Freeriding

Postby Tiago1973 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:52 pm

7 month yo baby here

As other said kite-wise things are manageable with a balance, being + selective

the big difference I´m finding is in those dolce non faire niente hours i used to had, those 2 hours by the end of the day for doing nothing are now like 3 minutes total in series of 30 sec each.

Anyway the little one is already taking swimming lessons, by March I hope he could swim all the 4 strokes and start hitting the ocean with the dad by ~September next year.. Lool…

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10

Postby Slappysan » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:14 pm

I have a 5 yr old boy and I basically get 1 day a week I'm free to kite, I don't always go and often will only go out for half the day but it works okay.

I also take half vacation days, 7 days off turns in to 14 days kiting.

flybykite
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Nitinat Lake, BC, Canada
Mui Ne, Vietnam
Style: Old School
Gear: Shinn Monk
V8K Ozone Edges 7&9

Postby flybykite » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:04 pm

I'm thankful I didnt find kiting earlier in my life. I've got OCD for sure with it. I spent almost every day with him from birth to about 4 years old. When my partner and I split ways I slowly became a weekend dad. Was never my intention but I now make the most out of every visit with him. He's just turned 15 and started kitesurfing last year. I've got a 3 week trip with him to Vietnam just after Christmas which will be special and we will spend a portion of the summer at our local spot, camping and kiting. This is the largest ammount of time I will spend with him this year now that friends, girlfriends, sports, school, and work keep him very busy. They do grow so fast. I know I will cherish the time I do get with him this year. I'm lucky he's into kites.

Return to “Kitesurfing”