Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

A Tour of the NW Coast of the USA...Video, Feedback please!

Forum for kitesurfers
knewschool
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Big Sandy, Palisades, Mud Lake, Jackson Lake...
Favorite Beaches: Waddell Creek, Sherman Island

Snow kite spots are growing fastly and epicly.
Style: Wake, Big loops, Glides
Gear: Ozone kites, Xenon boards, Velocity Twisted, B3 Split Boards
Brand Affiliation: Ozone, Xenon, B3, Twisted
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

A Tour of the NW Coast of the USA...Video, Feedback please!

Postby knewschool » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:10 pm

Hi Guys,
I worked pretty hard to edit down this video to something you'll hopefully enjoy. I tried to make it like a short video essay, trying to keep it interesting with a simple dialogue. I'm ultimately practicing filming for snowkiting this year, as we actually are snowkiters.
I see alot of the best videos here on this forum so I know there's guys out there who know how to help me do it better. The challenge of filming while getting sandblasted, and trying to hold the camera still with wind beating it down. I need some tips! I used a DSLR camera the Canon 60d and a few Gopro shots.

Hope you like it! https://vimeo.com/51889633

Thanks!

mz16
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: A Tour of the NW Coast of the USA...Video, Feedback plea

Postby mz16 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:45 pm

amazing video. Very beautiful shots and well cut. The one thing i would say about my favorite videos is re-watchability. So while it may seem like a good idea to do the voiceover for first-time viewers, it gets a little old if i want to watch again. Instead, I would rather the music and video just tell the story, with some subtitles indicating locations if you are traveling from spot to spot.

This is just a personal preference, because a video as nicely done as yours would make me watch over and over again, but the voiceover makes it a little disconnected for me. Otherwise, really really like it.

Outside
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Outside » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:55 pm

Caveat: I have zero movie making experience or knowledge.

I personally enjoy the Warren Miller style of film making and narration. Just be sure each line of narrative has some value. "Forest Lake was one of our favorite spots" seems less interesting than "Table-top smooth water and a steady 28 knots at Forest Lake made the whole trip worthwhile."

"After years of kiting, Fox finally made it to the waves." Why should I care? 2 years, big deal. 14 years, alright! Good for him, now show him getting ****ed up by a wave.

I watched it twice, and enjoyed it both times. I appreciate the effort, and the risk-taking in making a different style of kite video. Thanks.

knewschool
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Big Sandy, Palisades, Mud Lake, Jackson Lake...
Favorite Beaches: Waddell Creek, Sherman Island

Snow kite spots are growing fastly and epicly.
Style: Wake, Big loops, Glides
Gear: Ozone kites, Xenon boards, Velocity Twisted, B3 Split Boards
Brand Affiliation: Ozone, Xenon, B3, Twisted

Postby knewschool » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:49 pm

Outside, I appreciate the dialogue imput, you're right when I think about it. It's not informative enough in a few spots to be interesting. Your exapmles are good ones.

MZ16, thanks for the insight on the dialogue. It sounds funny to hear myself talk and makes me think you're right. I hoping to turn my videos into something different and more interesting than the normal artistic shots with big moves with the "music video" format. I'm hoping to give my vimeo films an adventure kiting sort of feel focusing on struggles to explore and discover, like a story, since I will be mainly filming snowkiting. I think I could have done a better job to convey that idea without blabbering on and on.

Thanks!

Return to “Kitesurfing”