Forum for kitesurfers
RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Early 2013 Switchblade Impressions

Postby RickI » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:00 pm

I received my 2013 Cabrinha Switchblade yesterday afternoon unexpectedly. I knew it was coming but assumed it would be a week or more away still. Coincidentally, I had been out with the same sized kite in a 2012 Switchblade the evening before in similar conditions. The winds were a few knots higher this evening than the prior night. The kites had been tuned the same, attaching the backlines to the outermost knot allowing for some close comparison.

Hurricane Sandy formed and is moving over Jamaica and Cuba. Good luck to everyone who will be impacted by this storm.

Feeder bands are sweeping over Florida and the Bahamas to the north. There is a good wind gradient in my area of southeast Florida bringing NE to ENE winds on the order of 18 to 25 kts. averaging around 20 kts. There have been squalls but fortunately not in my area while I was out.

Here is the new kite with a lot of changes, improvements and nice graphics too. The shape of the kite has been altered moving further away from a "C shape" with a shallow wing section. They say the bar pressure is less with this kite, I will see for myself very soon. They have a large diameter inflator on the kite now making inflation at lot faster. The control bar is even less cluttered and more clean than the bar of 2012. They are using a different type of line this year, fairly stiff and well coated. The IDS is easier to rearm now as well. There are other changes checkout the Cabrinha website for more details at http://www.cabrinhakites.com/bow/switchblade.html

Heading out. The kite DOES have a much lighter bar pressure than the 2012 Switchblade. There is no doubt as I was on last year's model the day before but that isn't all. Still healing torn wrist tendons and legments after four years, this is a very welcome development for me.

The kite fly's fast for its size, like a substantially smaller kite and turns even easier than last year's model. It really boosts too! Nice easy high jumps with good float. It takes less strength, responds faster and better. For a first session with a new kite things came together amazingly well.

I also found the kite depowered easier with less delay too sheeting in and out. The trim adjustments have easier to grab knobs than the balls of previous years.

This was an amazing session, when everything comes together just so. It was far easier to fly and the jumps were a good deal higher with longer hang time than the night before and all with a light bar pressure.

Great times on and over the water! In just 24 hours in similar conditions, things become substantially easier and better.

Séb
Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, Core, Shinn, Moses, Horue
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Early 2013 Switchblade Impressions

Postby Séb » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:46 pm

Nice spot :thumb: I had two sessions so far on my wife's SB8m 2013 in 25-30 knots. The bar pressure is effectively much lighter and this is great news also from me who kite a lot on Kites with feather light bar pressure! I found that this is still a great all around kite but for an 8m I thought it would been faster. Two hands on the bar, some agressive steering it will react fast and turn fast but with one hand it is much more difficult to do the same, there is a slight delay because you can't move the bar that much. Some other kites respond better and faster to smaller input, I see that as a negative point for wave riding. Other than that, everything is all better, jump really well, great hangtime. Easy to relaunch, good kite for 90% of riders I guess. Oh and the quality of their lines this year is amazing, I love them. Much faster to setup the kite, no tangle. That is a great upgrade I think.

dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: N/A
Has thanked: 0

Postby dyyylan » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:31 pm

I can't believe you were out on a 14 yesterday, I was lit on my 8! It must have been approaching 30 mph

C Johnson
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Seattle / Hood River
Style: Freeride, Surf, Foil
Gear: whatever I want
Been thanked: 0

Postby C Johnson » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:39 pm

how bout wind range?

load n pop?

unhooked feel?

what size were you on and how much do you weigh?

kiterdrew
Medium Poster
Local Beach: East Beach, Anna Maria, Skyway
Favorite Beaches: East Beach, Skyway
Style: Wakestyle
Brand Affiliation: Mutiny Kites

Postby kiterdrew » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:21 pm

Haha Dylan^

You know those P-Series have power :)

AlexandreBorges
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Jericoacoara (CE) and São Luís (MA)
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (CE) and São Luís (MA)
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Cabrinha Crossbow 2010

Postby AlexandreBorges » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:13 am

I think Switchblade is turning faster in a closed arch, but boosting way less. It lost part of its power what is not bad at all for me. I have a crossbow 2010 for power. This year it is more wake.

I think white as color in a bar wont work well in dark colored sand or muddy/argile environment. That is my place.

Lines are heavier IMO. I doubt it is a good idea to change something that was great, it seems 2011 experience was not learned.

I tested a prototype before buying. The brand new arrived last monday, and if it proves different from prototype I'll tell you. My favorite kite till now for 2013 is the Drifter.
Very horrified with Chaos, it has already a recall. Just pull the bar till the eject device and you will see lines forming a sinus, maybe a bridle problem...

knotmyfault
Medium Poster

Postby knotmyfault » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:29 am

I also received my new Switch 8 and 10 M.. Love them !!!
So much easier to ride with one hand!
a negative point for wave riding ???
Don't kow what you'r talking about

Séb
Frequent Poster

Postby Séb » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:23 am

knotmyfault wrote:I also received my new Switch 8 and 10 M.. Love them !!!
So much easier to ride with one hand!
a negative point for wave riding ???
Don't kow what you'r talking about
You are right that it is so much easier to ride with one hand than in the past years BUT it is still not a fast turning kite (turning speed and reactivity) and the bar pressure is still above average. So if you ride on a surfboard and pilot with one hand it does not respond as well as few other kites I've tried. But anyway, there's the Drifter for that specific purpose so that's fine, the SB is a wakestyle, all around kite and it does it's job in that segment pretty well as I said.

C Johnson
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Seattle / Hood River
Style: Freeride, Surf, Foil
Gear: whatever I want

Postby C Johnson » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:04 pm

why would you buy a switchblade specifically for wave riding? :?:

They make kites specifically for that. The switchblade is the bread and butter wakestyle kite.

Its because of complaints about waveriding feedback that they keep making it more and more of an all arounder and less and less of a hardcore wakestyle kite. buy a drifter dammit. I want my switchblades to turn slow, pop hard and have direct medium bar pressure.

Séb
Frequent Poster

Postby Séb » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:35 pm

True but there are kites that can do both really well :wink: But don't take me wrong, the SB is a great kite, not my best but close enough to say I am very happy when I use my wife's SB8m.

Return to “Kitesurfing”