Style: Freeride / Wave
Gear: Slingshot Rally / Nobile 666
Brand Affiliation: Slingshot / Flysurfer / LF / Core
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Slingshot Bar / QR - Questions

Postby alohasurfer » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:09 pm

Aloha,

first of all..i have to say that i really love my 10 and 14 Slingshot Rallys.

The only thing i am not so happy with is the qr...

1 ) Does anyone fly Slingshot Rpm / Rallys with a different bar? It must have FLS right?

Does the Naish Bar work?

2) Did anyone try another quickrelease? which one works?

The reason why i wanna change something is that winter is coming and while snowkiting the grip with my gloves is not so good.

Last year i had problems to release the qr in a "hot" situation on snow with gloves...

Thank you very much for your answers :D

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Slingshot Bar / QR - Questions

Postby knotwindy » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:04 am

yea, i was not all that happy with the QR either so I changed just the center depower line and QR to the North Iron Heart because that is what I had used in the past and had laying around. works great. So, basically from the pulley/swivel down it is the North setup, from the pulley/swivel up the center lines are the SS and the bar and rear/outside lines are the SS. Except the center line that goes through the pulley and to/through the QR is the SS as well. works for me and the release/safety is the same so no problems at all so far.

alohasurfer
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Brouwersdam / Workum
Lake
Favorite Beaches: Hvide Sande

Postby alohasurfer » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:03 am

wow. thanx a lot. but how did you solve the probleme with the adjuster below the bar ?

any other advises?

alohasurfer
Rare Poster
Lake

Postby alohasurfer » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:02 pm

and up :D

maybe someone else is experienced using different bar systems / qr s with slingshot rallys :wink:

winter is coming soon :D :) :bye:

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:45 pm

u should be good on any kite that flags out on a single center line here's the list which I made for another thread:

single center line flag out: ozone, slingshot, liquid force, wainman, blade, naish

Do not use any of these bars

Y-mini-5th line quick release: cabrinha, best, north, airush, epic, switch, gk, core

If you use the Y-mini the kite won't fly right, the Y pinches the kite and you have no promise of complete depower as the Y depends on the bridle operating a certain way.

The above lists are only for 2012 and later, i would have had to make a spreadsheet to list all the different years and such.

I know what you are saying, the only thing I don't like about slingshot is how small the grip on the quick release is. Liquid force has a much wider grip very nice, but they have the stupid detachable chicken loop which means two seconds of forgetting to clip on the chicken loop and you can lose it. Not real familar with the 2012 Naish control bar, but if you like it, should work. The ozone megatron release is solid and simple but it's not a center push it's a side pull, old school. Can't wait for the ozone 2013 control bar.

I would not use the ironheart with any slingshot bar, it pinches the kite something terrible feels like the kite has no power.

Not real sure how knotwindy modded his ironheart, but you have to take out that Y or the rally wont fly rite.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:00 pm

it was simple
you can use any actual bar you like the feel of
just use the Slingy stuff from the swivel up and any depower rope and trim strap from the swivel down
just be sure to run the front line that goes thru the swivel also thru the bar and , if you want, thru the release system
you still get single line release and any QR you like

alohasurfer : i just dumped the whole SS chicken loop and below the bar cleat and used the North cleat above the bar because i had it laying around and i like that you can set the distance to reach it depending upon arm length

lewmt
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mtns

Postby lewmt » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:12 am

If you're going to be snowkiting much you'll probably end up hating the white SS lines also unless you never ever crash your kite & it never spins around on the ground & inverts or anything. Also if you always kite in perfect bluebird conditions where you can acually see those white lines.

I switched to an Ozone zephyr bar for my 14M(similar trim line length). Perfect combo. Great kite - nice bar & lines w/easy to reach depower and colored lines which make it easy to see if anything got crossed in that last screw up...also if you like to keep the bar & lines attached in winter for ease of setup in the cold. All you have to do is change the pigtails because the kook proof knots are opposite on Ozone vs. Slingshot. I've used that same bar with the 10M also & had no issues in performance.

fdvj
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: lancing
Style: freeride
Gear: naish nobile

Postby fdvj » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:15 am

If you have the naish QR it is a straight swap, the slingshot depower line fits onto the QR. I have done this with no problems, and the Slingshot depower lines a r less than half the price here.

alohasurfer
Rare Poster
Lake

Postby alohasurfer » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:34 am

edt wrote: Do not use any of these bars

I know what you are saying, the only thing I don't like about slingshot is how small the grip on the quick release is. Liquid force has a much wider grip very nice, but they have the stupid detachable chicken loop which means two seconds of forgetting to clip on the chicken loop and you can lose it.
Hi,

thank u. that is exactly what i tried to express.... the slingshot release works good and is heavily built with not much plastic... but i do not understand why they built a push release with a thinner end at the top.. if ss would change this it would be great... the lf release lies good in the hand... but i either do not like that detachable loop...

alohasurfer
Rare Poster
Lake

Postby alohasurfer » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:35 am

knotwindy wrote:it was simple
you can use any actual bar you like the feel of
just use the Slingy stuff from the swivel up and any depower rope and trim strap from the swivel down
just be sure to run the front line that goes thru the swivel also thru the bar and , if you want, thru the release system
you still get single line release and any QR you like

alohasurfer : i just dumped the whole SS chicken loop and below the bar cleat and used the North cleat above the bar because i had it laying around and i like that you can set the distance to reach it depending upon arm length
thank you for your discription :thumb:

Return to “Kitesurfing”