WAM or Whip or Kontact for chop

Forum for kitesurfers
nicor
Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

WAM or Whip or Kontact for chop

Postby nicor » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:56 pm

Any thoughts on which board is better for chop? WAM or Whip or Kontact
Last edited by nicor on Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Billy B.
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Strawberry, Big Bad UT Lake, Rush mudpuddle.
DC
Favorite Beaches: Strawberry, Rufus,, Hampton NH. San Diego lite wind ninja shit.
Style: Learning,... as in I am still learning.
Gear: 2014 north gear

All of it
North and Race boards
North twin tip and directional yummyness.
Surfboard and strapless play stuff.
Brand Affiliation: I am a North snowkite athlete.
Has thanked: 0

Re: WAM or Whip for chop

Postby Billy B. » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:50 pm

Both are great in Chop , The Wam is thinner and If bigger waves are your program it is the board of choice, Plus with the 3 or 4 fin set up it has some character change.. It likes a little more power in the kite but rewards the rider with quick turns that have some snap..The Whip is super fun and playfull skate style, and likes to go a little bit slower then the wam so if you want a nice playful board for smaller waves and lake style chop and to ride a smaller kite then it is a blast...

This Year I went with a Nugget and a pro 5'11 and am beyond happy...!

nicor
Frequent Poster

Postby nicor » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:00 pm

Ya thanks. Really im looking for a high wind board, but debating what shape would work best in my conditions. We get all lot of chop and I've got a bad knee so if one board were smoother that would tilt my decision I guess. Sometimes hit great lakes waves, so up to 10 feet wind produced.

Looking at the 5 10 WAM or 5' 6 whip.

letsgoflyakite
Medium Poster
Local Beach: none
Style: freeride
Gear: Slingshot Shinn
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby letsgoflyakite » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:21 pm

Bigger waves wham. Smaller or mushier, whip. A slimmer board cuts through chop better, so the wham for your knees. Both have a bit of flex. Your knees won't get better by hammering through chop though..

tony montana
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: naples fl
Favorite Beaches: naples fl
Style: waverider
Gear: north
Brand Affiliation: north nash cabrina any kite with a safety system that works i mean works

Postby tony montana » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:55 pm

Got the wham,nugget,underground free wave,along with another 4 or 5,wham is a great wave board one of the best.bad knee you will suffer one hour on wham,five hours on underground.off all the surfboards i have underground is the best for joint problems,its also the best all round fun board,almost as much low end as nugget and as good as high end as wham straped or strapless chop or 15ft waves its good,check out the kiteworld test,on kipuna,as tester says cant understand why there not more popular,hope this helps TONY

SupaEZ
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Space coast Florida 5th street
Favorite Beaches: One block from condo
Style: surfboard strap waves transitions
Gear: Boards quads & tri
Kites19-17-12-10-8-6-5 sqm

Postby SupaEZ » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:37 am

My favorite board is neither one............. for the conditions you describe

I go for the 5'9" Kontact...it is a chop killer...the EZiest there is for the knees

Nothing tracks through chop like that board...with minimum bounce due to it's narrowness and shape

Works like magic for me at 75kg/165lbs with my 10-8-6 and 5 Rebels...from 20 to 40 knots

Ocean surf chop......intracoastal river chop.....that board rips it...and keeps the knees happy for more

........................................... :surf: :sun: ......................................................................................................

zerogee_ca
Very Frequent Poster

Postby zerogee_ca » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:03 am

I had an Underground 5'8" Kipuna. Nice board until it broke after 10 months. It was replaced with an 2011 5'8" WAM. I could not believe how much nicer the WAM felt compared to the Kipuna. I ride the WAM with my 6m, 9m, 13.5m quiver in all conditions. It has turned out to be an awesome one board quiver for me. The Kipuna was also a good one board quiver, but the WAM is just that much better for me.

spacemonkey
Medium Poster

Postby spacemonkey » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:20 am

I ride Whip (5.6) and Kontact (5.11)
It's a killer combo. Kontact is great for chop and larger surf and more speed.
While whip is super fun on smaller waves or no waves to throw around.

You cannot have everything in one board. But if you go for only one board it depends on your conditions and riding style, i guess...wham

piccio
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: rome
Favorite Beaches: sardinia cape town
Style: wave
Gear: religion 5 6 8
firewire 5 11 maquina 5.9

Postby piccio » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:59 pm

I have wam 5.8 2012 used all summer ,bought now kontact 5.11 2012 with rebels.I am 77 kg.
I do not use wam anymore ,it is on selling,much softer the kontact and keeps speed better.,wam is an hammer in chops but turns faster
if your concern is knees try kontact 5.11 before buying. a friend got 5.9 but needs bigger kite compared to wam 5.8
ciao

nicor
Frequent Poster

Postby nicor » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:05 pm

piccio wrote:I have wam 5.8 2012 used all summer ,bought now kontact 5.11 2012 with rebels.I am 77 kg.
I do not use wam anymore ,it is on selling,much softer the kontact and keeps speed better.,wam is an hammer in chops but turns faster
if your concern is knees try kontact 5.11 before buying. a friend got 5.9 but needs bigger kite compared to wam 5.8
ciao

I'm surprised about all the suggestions to try the Kontact for chop!

I never would have considered it as gun shapes are always marketed as down the line, big wave stuff.

You guys are sure its easy on the joints? and not too hard core?

Would it be too hard to ride strapless, I'm still a bit of a beginner for surfboards, but loving them so much I'm looking to add a high wind board.

Return to “Kitesurfing”