All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: USA East Coast - August
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:00 am 
Medium Poster

Hi mates!
Thinking about a whole summer (July and August but just August for sure) staying at some perfect flat water spot in the USA East coast...

Where to go?
C. Hatteras N.C. and Corpus Christi TX. are the best flat water spots I think but can anyone compare them? Wind statistic and quality (August specially), normal temperature, facilities, cons, etc...

Any of them has a Cable park, nice surf spots, etc... close to kite spots?

Thanks for your help.

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: USA East Coast - August
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:24 pm 
Medium Poster

Corpus Christi might be your best bet, maybe someone from down there can comment, but traditionally the east coast in August is the worst month of the year. I quit going to Hatteras in August.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:09 pm 
Rare Poster

The gulf coast is pretty calm in the summer too. I'm in Louisiana, but our season is oct.-April. In the summer time you might be able to catch a hurricane if that is your cup of tea.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:21 am 
Medium Poster

You said the East Coast, but just so you know Corpus is about 1000 miles from the East Coast which is Maine to Florida. So I assume you are including the Gulf. If you are not limited to the East and Gulf, then you really should consider North Central California or Oregon, because this is historically the worst time for both Hatteras or South Texas. Also are you talking only Corpus or including South Padre?
In both cases the wind will be questionable and probably about the same. Not saying you will get skunked though. This August in Hatteras it blew consistently the first two weeks. So non-kiting things would need to get factored in. I would have to say Hatteras. If I am sitting around waiting for wind, there is a far far better chance of getting some rideable surf in Hatteras. Normally a stray tropical coming through, but it is also not the hot time for surf either. Also if you are sitting around in heat and humidity you are better off in NC hot versus Texas "what the hell is this" hot.
If this was Nov-Mar, hands down Corpus/SPI. If it was Apr-July,and Sep and Oct hands down Hatteras.
Texas Pros: Cheap, great Mexican food, barbecue, margaritas, honky tonks, Texas women, laid backed atmosphere, and did I say Texas women
Hatteras Pros: More chance to surf, more bearable climate, less remote easier to get to

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:56 am 
Medium Poster

So I was totally wrong when thinking about a windy summer at the East coast or at the Gulf (sorry for including it as East coast).
Should I consider to go to Texas for a specific Texas-Women (and Mexican food) trip while the weather is extremely hot? :naughty: :rollgrin:

Thanks for your help! That kittrip is ruled out, at least in August.

[ 5 posts ]