All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 15 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Should I buy these kites? (new rider)
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:11 pm 
Rare Poster

okay new question! I plan on riding in as low of winds as I can and as high of winds as I can (25mph?) with this two kite quiver. I would like to have two twin tip boards that will optimize this. I weigh 170 lbs. My plan is to buy the bigger board now and then purchase the smaller one in the spring. So what size board should I purchase? I am thinking like 130-138? its just really confusing because their are so many different sizes and styles of boards and then si many different opinions on what to ride

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:35 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

a light wind board for you will be 140-160 (though width matters more than length), and somewhere between 120-140 will be your regular board. The only way to find your favorite board is demo demo demo and demo some more. Don't worry too much about your first board, unless you get real lucky it won't fit you very well. the problem with a new rider is that your tastes are gonna change on a week by week basis, one week you will want the board with best upwind, the next week you want the board with the most pop, then next week you want the board with the least rocker etc etc. You should start working on finding out what your favorite board is once you have one or two years experience. Riders usually find that their first kite becomes their favorite kite for the entire kiting career . . . but they end up hating their first board.

so dont worry too much just get something.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:43 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

mcurcio1989 wrote:
. I feel better buying gear that I have seen and used and from a trustworthy seller.

Well said ...

Regards

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:49 pm 
Medium Poster

You just got a good deal, use some of the money you saved to buy some new lines. Buying used lines is like buying used underwear at Salvation Army - they might be fine but you don't know enough about them. At some point when the wind is cranking and the waves are big and you're a little sketched about riding you'll be thinking one of two things, either "Glad I've got a fresh set of lines on my bar" or "I'd be happier about this if I was confidant about my gear"

Also, second what edt said about boards.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:03 pm 
Rare Poster

Thanks for all the quick replies and good info guys, I really appreciate it! That makes sense on the board thing. I actually just talked to a guy on clist about an hour from me. He had a harness for sale for $40. After talking to him it sounds like he is trying to sell off all of his gear (and hasn't been getting a whole lot of interest). He is selling me the harness, booties, gloves, a hood, and a 1 year old liquid force 134 board (with straps and everything) all for $200. The board is kind of smaller than what I was thinking but based off of what you guys said here I think it will be fine. The seller said it is a pretty good all around board and he thought it would work well for me, of course you have to take that with a grain of salt. For the price if I don't like it I think I could re coop the money. It is fall here and there is no shortage of wind lately so I don't think light wind will really be an issue anyways. I have a good wetsuit but I needed the booties, gloves, and hood so this works out really good for me. I'm Driving up there tonight. Looks like I am going to be geared up for a grand! Not to bad.

I will talk to the guy that sold me the kites about the lines. Like I said he's a good dude and he's been in the sport for 8 Florida years. I don't have a problem buying lines if he thinks its a good idea but I don't want to waste the money. Thanks for the advice

[ 15 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2