eitan80
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: rumor that Youri Zoon signed for Best

Postby eitan80 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:25 pm

Billy B. wrote:
eitan80 wrote:
dyyylan wrote:it's not the fact that the boots are heavier that makes you need more power, but the rocker. you dont want to ride a flat flexy board with boots, it will feel like a noodle. you can control the board much better so you want something bigger with more rocker, and more stiffness so you can use the boots to their full advantage and get more pop. and the board needs to be thicker or you will end up like youri with ripped inserts every heat..
You mean less rocker...
More rocker equals.... Bigger POP and softer landings..Plus you need more power in you kite so when you realease with the kite low you are juiced...

Less Rocker equals..... Faster planing less pop and landings that bounce....If used correctly with some tip rocker, you can also have a nice carvey board that moves over and through chop nicley..

Last year I rocked a North Gambler with Boots and a Select with straps...SO different but so much fun for what you want to do.

This year, Team Seris with boots or straps depending on my mood....Very light with the NKB ronin Frank boots as a snowkiter I love my boots!!

For Sure Good luck to Youri!!

More rocker = bigger pop?

Who told you that?

Wake style boards have less rocker- fact.

Konza
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kiel
Gear: LF HiFi, Switch Combat, Slingshot SST
Seaflight Diamond 5'9"
Brand Affiliation: None!

Postby Konza » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:45 pm

eitan80 wrote:

Who told you that?

Seems like you don't really know what rocker means right?

But I agree at your first point: More rocker doesn't equal bigger pop. More pop is result of a bigger surface that you can use to generate pop. More rocker and boots make it easier to handle the bigger surface and soften the landings.

eitan80
Frequent Poster

Postby eitan80 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:21 pm

Billy B. wrote:
eitan80 wrote:
dyyylan wrote:it's not the fact that the boots are heavier that makes you need more power, but the rocker. you dont want to ride a flat flexy board with boots, it will feel like a noodle. you can control the board much better so you want something bigger with more rocker, and more stiffness so you can use the boots to their full advantage and get more pop. and the board needs to be thicker or you will end up like youri with ripped inserts every heat..
You mean less rocker...
More rocker equals.... Bigger POP and softer landings..Plus you need more power in you kite so when you realease with the kite low you are juiced...

Less Rocker equals..... Faster planing less pop and landings that bounce....If used correctly with some tip rocker, you can also have a nice carvey board that moves over and through chop nicley..

Last year I rocked a North Gambler with Boots and a Select with straps...SO different but so much fun for what you want to do.

This year, Team Seris with boots or straps depending on my mood....Very light with the NKB ronin Frank boots as a snowkiter I love my boots!!

For Sure Good luck to Youri!!

Who told you that?

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:49 pm

funny...sounds like no one has a clue. me for sure not...does anyone know what kite shape he really rides? for me it is a kite ;-)

eitan80
Frequent Poster

Postby eitan80 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:42 pm

Konza wrote:
eitan80 wrote:

Who told you that?

But I agree at your first point: More rocker doesn't equal bigger pop. More pop is result of a bigger surface that you can use to generate pop. More rocker and boots make it easier to handle the bigger surface and soften the landings.
Sorry Konza

No disrespecting but just 12 year wake/cable boarding, 11 kiting and 4 years internationally involved in the industry :)

It is not always like that, but indeed the tendency of wakestyle oriented kiteboards is to have less rocker.

Cheers

Motion
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Weight: 90
Local Beach: Grado, Marina Julija
Style: Freeride
Gear: Blade
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Motion » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:56 pm

i always thought that mostly stiffness adds pop. Rocker is only there to soften the landings (replaces the flex) also less bauncy landings. Also a board with more rocker do carve upwind when poping way nicer than flat boards.

Brent4336
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Brent4336 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:28 pm

eitan80 wrote:
Konza wrote:
eitan80 wrote:

Who told you that?

Sorry Konza

No disrespecting but just 12 year wake/cable boarding, 11 kiting and 4 years internationally involved in the industry :)

It is not always like that, but indeed the tendency of wakestyle oriented kiteboards is to have less rocker.

Cheers
No disrespect, but you gotta be corrected! the only way i can see you in the right is if your comparing a wakestyle kiteboard to an actual wakeboard. thats clearly not what this off topic debate is about. This is about boots in the pkra so wakestyle kiteboards vs freestyle kiteboards.

Absolutly without exception, wakestyle kiteboards designed for boots have more rocker than standard kiteboards designed for straps.

both the naish and cab wakestyle boards mention increased rocker in their marketing.

http://www.naishkites.com/2012/boards/arcade.html
http://www.cabrinhakites.com/board-technology-2013.html

For a full tutorial on rocker and its impact on POP, carving and the dynamics of boots, stance and flex see the following.

http://www.dcboardz.com/kite.html

Note the following is a quote from the paragraph on wakestyle boards

"I came up with a profile that has a large amount of rocker to control landings but fine tuned to handle the power and pop required. The increased rocker makes it very comfortable riding in chop yet, when you carve into the wind, the excess rocker assists you to change direction effortlessly and it is this change of direction that creates the POP all wake stylers seek."

sincerely

As an aside: Toby are you really so out to lunch as to what is more difficult? Straps vs boots for the same move??? Come on! I understand your bias, but just look at the obvious face value of the fact that progression is towards boots in the freestyle competition scene. It used to be all straps all the time, now boots are everywhere. The general progression over time is also toward ever increasing degree of difficulty. To prove the point why don't you ask any pkra rider if they first learn and land a move in straps or boots. Spoiler... They learn em in straps first, then progress to trying to land it in boots.
Last edited by Brent4336 on Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Konza
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kiel
Gear: LF HiFi, Switch Combat, Slingshot SST
Seaflight Diamond 5'9"
Brand Affiliation: None!

Postby Konza » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:51 pm

eitan80 wrote: Sorry Konza

Cheers
Are you really comparing wakeboards with kiteboards like Brent is assuming?! If not I don't care how long you've been around or what you think you're involved with - you're wrong ;)

Tiago1973
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Portugal
Style: Freeriding
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Tiago1973 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:56 pm

riding boots for some time now and damn sure my ride won´t qualify to PKRA level, not even close, but still can´t understand why is being said that boots are harder / more difficult

with boots + wakestyle board anyone would hold his edge way better, getting more pop, won´t trap an edge in chop as easily, fly with a bigger (slower) kite, mid air the extra weight slows your movements, prevent over-rotations and in general adding fluidity and style (can´t comment on multiple passes stuff), the landing is much easier.

some PKRA-pros learn thing in straps cause they were not riding boots, but I would be surprised if after getting into boots they ever come back to straps

PS:
I am a lame, overage rider just doing my stuf, not a youngster trying to push every trick in the list.

PS-PS
ok, for pure jumping may be worst and board offs are..complicated. Maybe Toby could add this trick to the list? :D

Return to “Kitesurfing”