Local Beach: Kiel
Gear: LF HiFi, Switch Combat, Slingshot SST
Seaflight Diamond 5'9"
Brand Affiliation: None!
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: rumor that Youri Zoon signed for Best

Postby Konza » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:38 pm

Boots = No twisted legs and ankles to rotate faster -> slower rotation = more style.
Back in the day even more when a pair of escalades added solid 3kg to your board :D

However, good luck to Zoon with Best :thumb:

eitan80
Frequent Poster

Postby eitan80 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:39 pm

No most of the pkra riders that that just recently switched to boots lack the style, although they may land tricks that more difficult and score more points with pkra judges. A wakestlye riders (andre philip, brandon scheid,......) have way better style in boots.[/quote][/quote]

Just look at the same riders on PKRA on straps and on boots and see which is more stylish. Maybe it is also their developmeant and progress from a season or 2 seasons ago until now.

Of course nothing to compare with top wake riders- Andre.P, Brandon.S, Sam.L, etc'
But they are out of the competition.

Billy B.
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Strawberry, Big Bad UT Lake, Rush mudpuddle.
DC
Favorite Beaches: Strawberry, Rufus,, Hampton NH. San Diego lite wind ninja shit.
Style: Learning,... as in I am still learning.
Gear: 2014 north gear

All of it
North and Race boards
North twin tip and directional yummyness.
Surfboard and strapless play stuff.
Brand Affiliation: I am a North snowkite athlete.

Postby Billy B. » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:41 pm

eitan80 wrote:
dyyylan wrote:it's not the fact that the boots are heavier that makes you need more power, but the rocker. you dont want to ride a flat flexy board with boots, it will feel like a noodle. you can control the board much better so you want something bigger with more rocker, and more stiffness so you can use the boots to their full advantage and get more pop. and the board needs to be thicker or you will end up like youri with ripped inserts every heat..
You mean less rocker...
More rocker equals.... Bigger POP and softer landings..Plus you need more power in you kite so when you realease with the kite low you are juiced...

Less Rocker equals..... Faster planing less pop and landings that bounce....If used correctly with some tip rocker, you can also have a nice carvey board that moves over and through chop nicley..

Last year I rocked a North Gambler with Boots and a Select with straps...SO different but so much fun for what you want to do.

This year, Team Seris with boots or straps depending on my mood....Very light with the NKB ronin Frank boots as a snowkiter I love my boots!!

For Sure Good luck to Youri!!

Johnny Rotten
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Surf and wake
Gear: Vegas
Torch
Neo's
Hand made boards of pure excellence
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Johnny Rotten » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:49 pm

Isn't best that kook brand with the flying penis?

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:57 pm

Wakestyle boards / boots means you can use wider boards and more rocker !

You can control a wider board so much better with boots (almost not possible with straps if powered) :thumb:

And not too much flex combined with above, can give you a huge amount of pop, and still amazing "wake" takeoffs/landings (much better spin/loop - fast and smooth rotations) :naughty:

:D Peter

Jdizzle
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Marazion and Gwithian
Favorite Beaches: Marazion
Style: Bebinner
Gear: Ozone
Brand Affiliation: Ozone

Postby Jdizzle » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:42 pm

Hadlow's style owns Youri! He is still the king, no doubt! Also, Sam Light and Dre shred way better in boots than Youri :roll:

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:24 pm

So why is Youri not on boots?

I saw Gisela with boots.

Are the judges in favor of boots? I know there are some hardcore wakestyle judges and I fear that they rather see a boot guy win if close.

The judging sheets should be public!

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Postby TheJoe » Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:27 pm

Toby wrote:Youri has style and power and is a good guy.

Aaron needs to proof again that he is the best.
For sure he is top, but competition is something else...I know!

But makes the tour a bit more exciting to see how Aaron will do.
I hope he comes back, but sounds like it!
I highly disagree that he has anything to prove. He has all ready proved it year after year that he is the best. Maybe he just wants to enjoy what he does a little more with out trying to be something that everyone else thinks he should be.

I don't know him never met him. From what I can see he is doing just fine with out the PKRA.

C Johnson
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Seattle / Hood River
Style: Freeride, Surf, Foil
Gear: whatever I want
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby C Johnson » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:12 am

Toby wrote:So why is Youri not on boots?

I saw Gisela with boots.

Are the judges in favor of boots? I know there are some hardcore wakestyle judges and I fear that they rather see a boot guy win if close.

The judging sheets should be public!
He does wear boots.

Boots allow riders to be more competitive because of the recent scoring changes in PKRA.

The changes mean its not about how many tricks you throw now. Its about having 12 attempts to throw as technical of a trick as possible and they keep the top 7 out of the 12 attempts.
http://www.prokitetour.com/pkra-event-rules.php

52. SCORING
A competitor shall be scored while being in the designated competition area. Whether a competitor is in or
out of the competition area, will be at the discretion of the senior judge on the relevant panel and the Head
Judge.
Judges should be visually separated when possible and it is the responsibility of the Head Judge to see that
the judges do not discuss scores.
Judges will assign numerical scores to tricks performed by the competitors inside the designated competition
area during the heat. The individual trick scoring will be done from 0.1 to 10.0, broken into one-tenth
increments.
The scores of the respective competitors will be tabulated together to get their results from the heat: highest
points wins.
In a 5 judges Judging Panel, the highest and the lowest scores will be withdrawn and the average score of
the other 3 judges will be counted as the final score for each trick by the Computer Scoring System.
The maximum number of trick attempts per competitor during a heat will be 12 and only the best 7 tricks with
the highest individual scores will count towards the final score for men and women’s divisions. If the
maximum number of attempts and counted tricks per heat has to be changed per division, this shall be
decided by the Riders Committee and the PKRA Head Judge and posted in the Official Notice Board before
competition begins.
Once a competitor have reached the maximum number of trick attempts per heat including crashes, the
competitor will no longer be scored during the heat.
Crashes will be scored by the Computer Score System as a 0.1 and will be counted as an attempt.
If a competitor has attempted less tricks than the maximum number of tricks that count towards the final heat
score, the remaining tricks will be counted as a 0.0 score by the Computer Score System.
Judges may not change their scores on the Computer Scoring System. In the Event that a mistake has been
made the judge should have the Head Judge make the correction for them.
If a judge misses a trick, or part of the trick, he should place an “M” in the Computer Scoring System and that
score will be tabulated as the average of the other judges’ scores for that trick.
Tied competitors’ heat scores shall be listed in order of best to worst individual trick scores and at the first
point where there is a difference the tie shall be broken in favor of the competitor with the best individual trick
score.
Qualifier rounds will be judged based on Overall Impression, therefore the Computer Scoring System do not
apply.
The judging scores of each individual judge shall be shown only to competitors in that heat, on their request.
The scores of the judges may not be appealed

C Johnson
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Seattle / Hood River
Style: Freeride, Surf, Foil
Gear: whatever I want
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby C Johnson » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:14 am

I wonder if he will continue to ride Brunotti or if he will switch to best kiteboards too?

Return to “Kitesurfing”