Forum for kitesurfers
Brent4336
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: rumor that Youri Zoon signed for Best

Postby Brent4336 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:34 am

seriously? are you that out to lunch!

Harder landings......... HARDER.... MORE POWER.... BIGGER AMPLITUDE....

what part of any of this is tough to understand?

Two guys throw the same move. Guy in straps can go as big and powered as he can handle. Guy in boots can go bigger and more powered cause he can handle a harder landing.... He's also more likely on a board with more rocker. Its slower and requires a slightly bigger kite so again the power level goes up. He's most likely got a slightly wider stance and slightly more weight which slows rotations so again to get a double in he needs more height and amplitude. He also cant just kick off the board when things go sideways requiring additional commitment just to attempt the same move.

Which guy should get the higher score?

This is not a trick question.

Like another poster mentioned earlier, for simple front and back rolls, s-bends and what not its not much if at all "harder" in boots. Slower, more laid out and more stylish maybe, but not really harder. To pull a double handle pass? or any move with powered kite loops you bet your ass its tougher and requires more commitment in boots.

There is nothing wrong with straps. They will always be around, but we have all seen countless clips of super quick, super dangly, super underpowered freestyle moves. When people learn handle passes they are generally dangle passes first with a lot of pull up action. You just cant land stuff like that in boots. Your only going to get 2/3 the way through it before you hit the water. It takes more power to do it on a proper wakestyle board. And a rockered board in boots lends itself toward throwing your rotations with enough power that you can make your passes without requiring any amount of pull up motion.

Man. I kinda thought all this stuff was simply intuitively understood by watching a couple clips, but I guess its tough for some to think outside their box. Your comment that a session in boots would be the most boring of your life speaks volumes. you preach open minded acceptance in this sport but you are the most pigeon holed rider I can think of!
Last edited by Brent4336 on Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:45 am

Brent4336, of course boots let you pop and land hotter and obviously that helps, but boots or straps a great rider is always gonna win over a merely good one. Boots dont make you good. I see lots of local riders getting into boots because the top pkra riders are doing it, but it dont make them any better at all :-)

Brent4336
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Brent4336 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:03 am

edt wrote:Brent4336, of course boots let you pop and land hotter and obviously that helps, but boots or straps a great rider is always gonna win over a merely good one. Boots dont make you good. I see lots of local riders getting into boots because the top pkra riders are doing it, but it dont make them any better at all :-)
Never ever ever stated anything to that extent ever.

Its always the rider, and worth noting that many of the absolute best in the world (Hadlow, Lenten, to name just two) have migrated to boots for most of their riding.

I'm not all about the boots either. In fact I barely break out the TT these days. I just cant stand people willfully ignoring the very basics of understanding degree of difficulty when it comes to the true elite in this or any sport.

THis is also absolutely not a comment on Youri. He quite obviously rocks and rides with loads of power. This is commentary on the evolution of the sport as seen in the PKRA past, present and future.

edt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby edt » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:35 am

Brent4336 wrote:Never ever ever stated anything to that extent ever. Its always the rider . . .
just thought it would be worth mentioning for others who are following this thread, so they don't go out and buy boots with the wrong expectations.

sq225917
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Local Beach: Cleethorpes, Hunstanton, Lytham
Gear: Eleveight and Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby sq225917 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:30 am

Yeh, the footwear doesn't and shouldn't matter. You should be scored on your skill and commitment now what you wear on your feet. That said the PKRA doesn't score the riders on their footwear but how they ride. Sure style comes into it but that isn't boot exclusive.

Tiago1973
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Portugal
Style: Freeriding
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Tiago1973 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:34 am

edt wrote:
Brent4336 wrote:Never ever ever stated anything to that extent ever. Its always the rider . . .
just thought it would be worth mentioning for others who are following this thread, so they don't go out and buy boots with the wrong expectations.
edt, let me drop a sligtly different view

I do agree that boots per se would not make you look good, time in the water will. But even for the average Joe does more power with a deeper board edge/locked feeling, a generic better looking stance and slower/smooth rotations is adding style? In my book it is.

off course that to ride and look like Youri (and others) I will need something different: a playstation.

the point is: boots will not make your ride look good but will make it look better

in the end it´s fun to speak about style and good to discuss how one would like his ride to look, even if miles away, and get the right setup for the job. I do find way more visual appealing a wake-style-kind-of-clip even with simpler moves than free-style without much power, where horizontal momentum is lost as the kite is not kept low and the rider looks like having an epiletic attack as the focus is on passing the bar as much as possible

whatever we think about the Scoop that bunch of people is pushing good looking ride and style [over trick complexity] and I am glad they finnaly started to influence the PKRA crew
Last edited by Tiago1973 on Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:51 pm

Easy boy.

So, you confirmed that the strap rider has more skills if he does exactly what the boot rider does.

That you can do more with boots is something different and I am not talking about that.

And do I have to ride boots if this is not my style? I would be boring, since I cannot take off the board. This is for me and my preference, I am not talking about anyone else.

So, calm down and relax to the max!

Brent4336
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Brent4336 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:37 pm

OK, I guess I just dont understand your motivation in asking the question.

Like asking someone is it under there? just to hear them say underwear!

edt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby edt » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:32 pm

Toby wrote: So, you confirmed that the strap rider has more skills if he does exactly what the boot rider does.
you're thinking about this wrong toby. It's impossible to get two riders so exactly close in skill and style (and luck) that boots vs straps make a difference. The rider makes all difference.

Zoon didnt get where he was in the pkra because he was riding boots.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:37 pm

Just trying to understand the differences.

But basically it is like with the handle: same tricks without score higher but handle also makes some tricks possible.

Got it :thumb:

Return to “Kitesurfing”