'12 13m Cabrinha Crossbow LW
'12 16m Cabrinha Crossbow LW
'11 Spleene HTL Monster Door
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Cabrinha 2012 leading edge - thinner material

Postby 4mylifetime » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:03 pm

I have first hand experience in this. Yes I believe the bladder is thinner.
I have three 2012 LW kites and last fall I had the 13M kite blow the leading edge bladder just after pumping it up on the sand. There was nothing sharp nor was it folded. I don't think they can take as much pressure. The kite was brand new used about 5 times. I have owned 2009 to 2011 Cabrinha's.
I never treated this kite any different than the rest. I think they made the bladder's thinner to save on weight hence LW kites. You have to be a little more gentle with them.

Cab Driver
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby Cab Driver » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:14 pm

old school wrote:I have helped many friends since 2002 with their bladder and valve repairs. I am looking to see if anyone else has had problems with the new Cabrinha bladder material. It is much thinner than previous bladder material.

My friend has a 2012 14m Cab' Switchblade which uses the thinner material. He is an experienced rider and never abuses his kites. He is also a dedicated to Cabrinha having rode their SBs since 2008 and owning several, Contras too.

3 weeks ago he blew the leading edge while pumping it on the beach (only 1/2 way pumped up). I helped him pull the LE whereas I remarked "WTH?? - this material is super thin!!". The LE experienced a blow out near a strut 8 inches away from a valve. Upon inspection of the blow out it was a typical "stretched out and blew" scenario. Upon inspecting the entire LE we saw several small stretches (aneurysms).

The local Cab' dealer filed a warranty claim for a replacement leading edge bladder BUT Cabrinha had NO LEs in the entire USA for a 14m so they sent it to the BLADDERMAN in Florida who repaired it. Cabrinha asked the dealer to ask the rider how he put away his kite - did he roll or fold it? - he said he folded it - Cabrinha said that was the problem - you must take care and gently roll it.

I have never heard this in my life and think it is a BS answer

Two days ago we reinstalled the repaired LE. We inspected the LE for no twists and no voids, massaged the LE into position to get any wrinkles out and after pumping it up 1/2 way it blew out this time in a different spot. When we contacted the dealer she said .... Oh, you installed it wrong. Another funny answer IMO

The purpose of this email is to see if anyone else has had problems with the LE (I am not slamming Cabrinha because I think they make great kites. I DO BELIEVE that using this lighter material for the sake of reducing a few grams or weight is a big mistake)

Comments riders? Suggestions Cabrinha reps?
Just sent you a PM...

Kiteus Maximus
Medium Poster

Postby Kiteus Maximus » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:05 pm

I read that Cabrinha is using even thinner bladders on their new Velocity. Kinda' made me a little concerned about durability but I guess the best way to ensure durability is not to crash the kite.

I had a 2012 Cabrinha CB that had a thinner bladder than my 2010 CB so for sure they have gone to less material. I don't claim to understand plastics durability but you would think less bladder mass would equate to less structural integrity.

tr3v
Frequent Poster
Gear: BWS, CSA Surfboards, Sirocco

Postby tr3v » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:08 am

I haven't popped a bladder (yet!) but have had do some preventative maintenance on LE seams where the stitching has come away. This has been a problem post 2010 kites when the seams were changed, ironically for durability. My 2010 kites (SBs) are in better condition than my 2012. Maybe this was fixed for the 2013 kites.

Once the stitching wears, it does not take long for the seam to start parting, and the bladder to appear. Not sure if this is relevant but from what I have seen and heard, this is where the bladders usually burst.

Lanc
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kite Beach, Cape Town
Favorite Beaches: Paje, Zanzibar
Green Island, Antigua
Low Bay, Barbuda
Style: Wave and Old School
Gear: Switchblade/Nomad/Drifter/Pivot/Rebel/Nitro
Underground FLX 132
F-One Mitu Monteiro Pro

Postby Lanc » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:35 pm

I've popped two LE bladders in the 10 odd cabrinha kites I've owned over the years. A 2007 contra and a 2010 SB. Both kites were well used when it happened so I was not really upset. The reason for them going according to the repair guy was the double stitching on the LE material had starterd coming undone and at some points there was only a single row of stitching keeping the bladder from the outside world. The one popped in the process of a self launch and the other popped while I was pumping and it was only about 70% inflated. Other than that I have never had any other bladder issues.

dejavu
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Any that have steady wind
Favorite Beaches: Any
Style: Freeride with the conditions on the day
Gear: Cabrinha, Flysurfer, NP, Rip Curl, WFMG, Aquapak, Loksac, Gopro, Suunto, apple watch.

Postby dejavu » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:12 am

My 14M 2012 Cab Switch Bladder had 06 on the tag at the end of the bladder.

Hawaiis
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kailua

Postby Hawaiis » Mon May 13, 2013 1:01 am

dejavu wrote:My 14M 2012 Cab Switch Bladder had 06 on the tag at the end of the bladder.
That stands for 0.06mm, which is only 0.00236 inch

My 2012 Switchblade 14M just started leaking. Upon inspection there are more than one hole and more bubbles ready to pop, I always try to under inflate to help the bladder last longer, but it only last one year.
Attachments
image.jpg

Hawaiis
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kailua

Postby Hawaiis » Wed May 29, 2013 9:39 pm

My 2006 Cabrinha Contra 14 has 0.08mm bladder that is 33% thicker than the 2012
Attachments
image.jpg

dejavu
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Any that have steady wind
Favorite Beaches: Any
Style: Freeride with the conditions on the day
Gear: Cabrinha, Flysurfer, NP, Rip Curl, WFMG, Aquapak, Loksac, Gopro, Suunto, apple watch.

Postby dejavu » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:47 pm

So on inspection my blown bladder was definitely as a result of a fold twist. What I believe has happened is that when I blow my kites up I do not unfold them fully on pump,ip. I just had let them blow up and unfold. Sometimes I remember that I had to assist with the last wing tip area as this got caught on the bridle.

My lesson........ Unfold my kite completely on pump up.

Bladder was available from. www.asap-direct. Email Rebecca or Ivan. They will assist
:D

Return to “Kitesurfing”