All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Turks and Caicos 11/29-12/12
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:15 am 
Rare Poster

Going for my 8th year in a row. Trying to set up a boat trip with possibly Kiteprovo to the back country and need a few riders to share the cost. I'll be daily riding Grace Bay in front of RWI/Club Med or down by the Sands if the wind is right otherwise Long Bay afternoons when its windy. Can also do simple dws to Bugaloos. Wearing orange helmut flying Airush kites. Psyched!!! David

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: Turks and Caicos 11/29-12/12
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:34 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Beth and I will be there from 29th to 5th on long bay. Very interested in a back country boat trip if the price is right. There are 3 kiters including myself traveling together.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:50 am 
Medium Poster

Boat excursion with Mike at KiteProvo is very scenic and you'll get in some great kiting at "your own" private lagoon. Very cool. I did it last August and highly recommend it.

David, why are you choosing Grace Bay (instead of Long Bay) for your morning sessions? Winds should be more consistent out of the east at Long Bay throughout the day, yes?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:38 pm 
Rare Poster

FLandOBX wrote:
Boat excursion with Mike at KiteProvo is very scenic and you'll get in some great kiting at "your own" private lagoon. Very cool. I did it last August and highly recommend it.

David, why are you choosing Grace Bay (instead of Long Bay) for your morning sessions? Winds should be more consistent out of the east at Long Bay throughout the day, yes?

I have been in that "lagoon" years ago when we finished a dw from the back country with Big Blue. I suppose its possible to launch from Leeward Point and cross over there too but having a boat is the wiser, safer way to access it I guess. Not cheap though.

As far as Grace Bay goes if the wind has enough North in it I like to ride there since there are waves. Also staying at Royal West Indies with my wife so I'm not "abandoning" her all day if I can get a session in there. Usually slightly offshore launch and sketchy though. Most days are on the South side though as you indicate and more consistent.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:39 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

To those of you who have been to T&C, do you rent a car or a cart of some sort when you're there? Or do you tend to stay somewhere and kite in the same place all the time? Just wondering what you'd recommend to a first time visitor. Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:53 pm 
Medium Poster

Quote:
do you rent a car or a cart of some sort when you're there? Or do you tend to stay somewhere and kite in the same place all the time?

I recommend renting a car. If you stay at the resort locations on Grace Bay, then you'll want a car to get to the kite spot on Long Bay.....it's not far, but a car is needed. If you stay on Long Bay, it's more residential and you'll want the car to go to restaurants around Grace Bay and to IGA grocery. There are other places to stay on Provo, but in the end you'll need the car.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:46 pm 
Rare Poster

FLandOBX wrote:
Quote:
do you rent a car or a cart of some sort when you're there? Or do you tend to stay somewhere and kite in the same place all the time?

I recommend renting a car. If you stay at the resort locations on Grace Bay, then you'll want a car to get to the kite spot on Long Bay.....it's not far, but a car is needed. If you stay on Long Bay, it's more residential and you'll want the car to go to restaurants around Grace Bay and to IGA grocery. There are other places to stay on Provo, but in the end you'll need the car.

Good info. Even if you stay at one of the Long Bay $$$ places and kite there you will feel somewhat stranded as town is a taxi ride away and you can spend as much on taxis as a cheap car. You can stay on Grace Bay and walk to restaurants and the Graceway Gormet but the wind is mostly offshore on that side of the island with the occasional day with enough north in it to get out.

I stay on Grace Bay (RWI) but always rent a car for excursions to Long Bay for kiting and nightly restaurant dining and trips to the grocery. I've also driven to NW Point to kite and this year maybe Leeward.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:52 pm 
Rare Poster

I'll be there with laughingman Feb 29-Dec5 too, looking forward to whatever we get up to! :)

I'd also recommend the car rental in TCI, everywhere you want to get to is far enough away that a car or taxi is "needed". I did meet a guy there last year that stayed in a place closer to Graceway Gourmet IGA, he did a combination of hitchhiking and walking every day to Long Bay. I say combination hitchhiking and walking rather than just hitchhiking, because I think he walked more than hitched, maybe not easy to hitch a ride when you are carrying a load of gear.

Book your car rental early, if you don't plan it ahead you may not get one when last minute.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:42 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Thanks so much everybody for your thoughts on renting a car.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:46 pm 
Rare Poster

I can see walking/hitching from the 7 Stars area. Probably 30 minutes anyway but I'm driving since I'm on vacation! I always use Grace Bar Car Rentals. Pick up the car at the airport upon arrival and just leave it there when we depart. The Owners, Todd and Leslie have been great and are now kiters too!

Many other choices, some with newer cars but Todd and his crew have always been on time and ready for us.

Jsquid, you, Laugher and Beth staying where they stayed last year?

[ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next