All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Kite Locations in Cape Breton - Nova Scotia - October?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:35 am 
Rare Poster

I am planing on visiting Cape Breton, NS in early October. Can someone tell me where are the best locations for kiting are at this time of year and where everyone hangs out? What are the temperatures of the water and would a 5/3 wetsuit with booties be sufficient? I would appreciate any help you can give!

Thanks,
Happy Kiting
KC

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:01 am 
Very Frequent Poster

I was just down there last weekend and boiled in a 5/3 wetsuit. I should have brought my shorty. I kited 3 of 4 days. The off day was gusting to about 45 mph and I decided not to go out alone. There are apparently some kiters in Port Hood as one of them responded to my post 2 weeks ago but it would seem most people in CB have not seen a kiter (my mother has been looking for 2 years now). Where are you staying? It's a big Island with lots of shore line and plenty of beaches. I had a great session in Georges River, on the Bras'dor Lakes but the launch wasn't good, a decent session in North Sydney (where I'm from) and a great one in Pleasant Bay which is along the Cabot Trail. The prevailing winds tend to be from W to SW so plan on that. When we did the Trail we stayed in Ingonish. That was a bit of a mistake since unless it's something with an E in it it doesn't really work. If you do get an easterly wind the North Bay in Ingonish looks awesome. I did check out Ingonish Harbour and I think you could have some great W sessions there, the wind would be funnelled through the mountains. If you are going around the Trail I think Cheticamp is the place to stay. You can find somewhere from every direction but east. I hope you have a great trip.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:05 am 
Very Frequent Poster

http://www.kiteforum.com/phpbb/viewtopi ... highlight=

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:27 am 
Medium Poster

I go to CB every summer (my girl friend's from there), I'm always alone kiting with lots of people watching (never saw anything like it) in fact I was in the local paper this summer (inverness oran). My favorite beaches are: Port Hood (nice long sandy beaches) Inverness, Maboo Coal Mines (little small but beautifull) and Cheticamp.
Good luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:34 pm 
Rare Poster

Thanks for the responses everyone! I will hopefully be able to get to some of those locations while I am there. Most likely will get to Inverness/Cheticamp areas and Baddeck and Ingonish. I'll let you know how it goes!

Thanks,
KC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:18 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Baddeck Bay could be very good. The winds are usually strong and it's fairly flat. I'm not sure where you can find a launch area although I'm sure you could if you look hard enough.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:43 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

I kited Baddeck Bay Last year and it was great.
We were there for a friends wedding.

Just before town there is some private property with a big open field.

It's a small town and people are so Friendly.

I actually knocked on the door and asked if I could launch on there property.
All their neighbors came over and watched.

I then did a downwinder all the way around the little Island and came back to town just below the Marina.
Had to land the kite in the water and swim in to avoid power lines along the shore.
My wife had dropped me off, done some tourist shopping, then picked me up on the other side of town.
Everyone in town saw it and acted like it was the first time they had seen it.

It was beautiful and the water was warmer than I expected.

The water North of the Island is also warmer than you would expect because the tides allow the sand to heat up each day and the water comes back in and heats up over and over again.
Interesting that the water is warmer North of Nova Scotia than south.
Have fun.
Joel

Post subject: Re: Kite Locations in Cape Breton - Nova Scotia - October?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:26 pm 
Medium Poster

I am thinking of going back with my gear. I spent lots of summers out there as a kid learning to sail and swimming on the beaches. I suspect there are a ton of spots that have never seen a kite and are probably really good. Only problem is access and launching / landing. The Bras d'Or Lake are heavily tree lined and the beaches usually are very small. I know a few spots I can try out though. We will see.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:23 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Man this is an old post. I've kited in CB quite a few times since then. It's actually not that hard to find a launch site on the Bras'dor Lakes. There are (or was) a few kiters down near Port Hawksbury. Also had a great ocean session at a beach close to Louisbourg. I haven't been there for a number of years though. The last few times we went down we went to PEI and got my parents to drive there, from CB, to meet us. There is a pretty vibrant kite scene in PEI and great riding in warm water. Where CB you will be riding by yourself (unless you are with someone) and the ocean temps are a lot colder.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:07 pm 
Rare Poster

alpower wrote:
Man this is an old post. I've kited in CB quite a few times since then. It's actually not that hard to find a launch site on the Bras'dor Lakes. There are (or was) a few kiters down near Port Hawksbury. Also had a great ocean session at a beach close to Louisbourg. I haven't been there for a number of years though. The last few times we went down we went to PEI and got my parents to drive there, from CB, to meet us. There is a pretty vibrant kite scene in PEI and great riding in warm water. Where CB you will be riding by yourself (unless you are with someone) and the ocean temps are a lot colder.

+1
I can confirm that there is a great kiteboarding scene on PEI. My inlaws live there so it's generally not too difficult to make the case for a PEI weekend trip, then I spend most of the weekend on the water. :wink:

Kite Point in the northern part of Malpeque Bay is simply awesome with lots of shallows and relatively flat water. For the past couple of years the PEI Kiteboarding folks held the PEI Kiteboarding Throwdown at Kite Point. Has a nice grassy launch/landing area.

There's plenty of other kiteboarding spots on the island too.

:thumb:

[ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next