Favorite Beaches: Bolinas, CA
Style: freeride
Gear: Naish Park kites, Naish Haze board
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Help a mate launch or land, with your kite in the air

Postby Thor SFBay » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:14 pm

As far as holding onto a kite while flying your own... what about larger kites? My usual kite is a 12m and I've noticed that a lot of smaller people struggle to hold it in position during launch. Because of their short stature, they end up holding it too far below the center strut and the kite tries to bend. I can only imagine the difficulty they would have with an even bigger kite or trying to hold my kite while flying theirs.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:21 pm

Thor SFBay wrote:As far as holding onto a kite while flying your own... what about larger kites? My usual kite is a 12m and I've noticed that a lot of smaller people struggle to hold it in position during launch. Because of their short stature, they end up holding it too far below the center strut and the kite tries to bend. I can only imagine the difficulty they would have with an even bigger kite or trying to hold my kite while flying theirs.
No then they / you have bad technique. You should be able to hold a kite with a finger really. If the kite is behaving erratically then it is at the wrong angle. They should also just lift up the kite. No power or size needed...just a bit of technique. :-)

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:35 pm

What tautologies said. I have noticed that large riders know how to launch my 19 fine, it's not because they are taller (what is a foot or two of height compared to a 20 foot long kite, right?) but that they are used to handling large kites. They understand that for a large kite, even when you are holding by the tip you have to "fly" the kite.

Smaller riders, especially those that never ride a kite larger than 9 meters are used to grabbing their kite by the tip and moving it around as if it were a sword. Little kites are so rigid that they don't have to worry about where the kite is in relation to the wind very much.

As for the main topic, I dont know much about launching a kite while you are flying your own kite. Seems sketch but I've never actually seen it fail, so who knows, maybe it's a decent technique.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:43 pm

edt wrote:What tautologies said. I have noticed that large riders know how to launch my 19 fine, it's not because they are taller (what is a foot or two of height compared to a 20 foot long kite, right?) but that they are used to handling large kites. They understand that for a large kite, even when you are holding by the tip you have to "fly" the kite.

Smaller riders, especially those that never ride a kite larger than 9 meters are used to grabbing their kite by the tip and moving it around as if it were a sword. Little kites are so rigid that they don't have to worry about where the kite is in relation to the wind very much.

As for the main topic, I dont know much about launching a kite while you are flying your own kite. Seems sketch but I've never actually seen it fail, so who knows, maybe it's a decent technique.
I cringe every time I see someone bending a LE to lift it and turn it over. Watching people lift up a C-kite...oh man, it hurts.

For launching when flying your kite..just stand a little high in the windwindow...the kite will fall back a few feet, and fine...obviously people that are nervous about it should probably not do it. :-)

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:50 am

JGTR wrote:
it happens all the time. It happens in launches in wind shadows where the wind isnt consistent.
No it doesn't, one if our beaches has major wind shadows and its never happened. The kite can move about but never finds its own way into the power zone, it isn't physically possible for a kite to steer itself into the power zone!!

In gusty conditions the kite will drop back and forth but still not into the power zone, the kite will drop back as wind drops then push forward towards the edge of the window when the wind strength picks up.

There is the theoretical situation that you are talking about where the wind could possibly drop off enough so that the kite can not fly and will the roll back straight downwind and then if the winds pick up could power up but if you depower the kite then not much will happen, also in this situation I would suggest not kiting at all or using your safety, if the wind shadows are bad enough to make tethered landing unsafe then assisted landing would also be unsafe!

Yes indeed it can happen. It also depends on the kite. my old 09 edge loved to roll backward and the dart into the powerzone. That was a kite not suitable for teathered launch. Plus when it a super gusty location. the kite can catch a wing tip when drifting in the lulls roll back and slam through the powerzone.

Don't believe it wont happen.!

Flight Time
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Venice Beach
Skyway Bridge North
Style: Freeride
Gear: 12 Epic Screamer
14 Epic Screamer
12 Liquid Force Havoc
16 Cabrinha Switchblade

Postby Flight Time » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:06 am

plummet wrote: Yes indeed it can happen. It also depends on the kite. my old 09 edge loved to roll backward and the dart into the powerzone. That was a kite not suitable for teathered launch. Plus when it a super gusty location. the kite can catch a wing tip when drifting in the lulls roll back and slam through the powerzone.

(Don't try to convince them not to risk their asses! They will do it anyway, and some may perish, but it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make. Let Darwin sort them out!)

Do it! Launch and land each other while flying! One kiter with a kite in the air can hold a chicken loop in each hand, and fly his kite with a foot! The kites are very weak and docile, and all of them are exactly the same and will always be predictable! You can do it! :lol:

JGTR
Very Frequent Poster

Postby JGTR » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:19 am

Yes indeed it can happen. It also depends on the kite. my old 09 edge loved to roll backward and the dart into the powerzone. That was a kite not suitable for teathered launch. Plus when it a super gusty location. the kite can catch a wing tip when drifting in the lulls roll back and slam through the powerzone.
Like I said if it is that gusty then don't use this method!

If you aren't confident using this method or don't have the experience or skill then don't do it!

If you drop the kite, let it settle, unhook and hand CL to someone else it takes you 5 seconds to get to kite. I kite in an estuary and if I decide to land kite on the sandbanks where there are no tether points this is the best way and it works fine, done it lots of times.

Ned Divine
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Ned Divine » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:46 am

Flight Time wrote:
plummet wrote: Yes indeed it can happen. It also depends on the kite. my old 09 edge loved to roll backward and the dart into the powerzone. That was a kite not suitable for teathered launch. Plus when it a super gusty location. the kite can catch a wing tip when drifting in the lulls roll back and slam through the powerzone.

(Don't try to convince them not to risk their asses! They will do it anyway, and some may perish, but it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make. Let Darwin sort them out!)

Do it! Launch and land each other while flying! One kiter with a kite in the air can hold a chicken loop in each hand, and fly his kite with a foot! The kites are very weak and docile, and all of them are exactly the same and will always be predictable! You can do it! :lol:
:lol: :lol:

Ned Divine
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Ned Divine » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:53 am

Flight Time, we 'll do it, we 'll keep landing and launching with our kites in the air. We will also jump, kiteloop, backroll and front roll, we might even be overpowered from time to time. If the worst comes to the worst we will consider kitesurfing in big waves. We 'll do our best to rid your beaches from our-perilous-selves, so that you guys can have more room to enjoy your (addapted to 100% safety) sport . :lol:

Return to “Kitesurfing”