Forum for kitesurfers
Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Help a mate launch or land, with your kite in the air

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:51 pm

JGTR wrote:
jedi1 wrote:
And when something goes wrong and a bouncing kite gets into powerzone, while you hold the chickenloop, then you are...
Sorry but never seen this happen or had this happen to me in years, some kites may move a bit on windy days but kites will never find their own way into the power zone unless cause by rider error.
Exactly - it does not happen by itself :thumb:

:D PF

scklandl
Very Frequent Poster
Style: all
Has thanked: 0

Postby scklandl » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:09 pm

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^WRONG

it happens all the time. It happens in launches in wind shadows where the wind isnt consistent.

Chicken loop idea wouldnt work 80% of the time for us at our location, and it seems wrought with other perils.

From what I gather most people think launching someone elses kite is challenging BUT from what I read everyone is talking about lifting the kite off the ground into the launch position

The launcher lifts the kite into the proper position and puts it into the hands of his assistant whose flying his kite, THEN THE KITER HAS THE SENSE TO TENSION lines downwind first then walk upwind powering up the kite. Way too many people ride without knowing how to be kind to their kite launchers and this would certainly add complications to flying and launching simultaneously.

JGTR
Very Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby JGTR » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:21 pm

it happens all the time. It happens in launches in wind shadows where the wind isnt consistent.
No it doesn't, one if our beaches has major wind shadows and its never happened. The kite can move about but never finds its own way into the power zone, it isn't physically possible for a kite to steer itself into the power zone!!

In gusty conditions the kite will drop back and forth but still not into the power zone, the kite will drop back as wind drops then push forward towards the edge of the window when the wind strength picks up.

There is the theoretical situation that you are talking about where the wind could possibly drop off enough so that the kite can not fly and will the roll back straight downwind and then if the winds pick up could power up but if you depower the kite then not much will happen, also in this situation I would suggest not kiting at all or using your safety, if the wind shadows are bad enough to make tethered landing unsafe then assisted landing would also be unsafe!

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tone » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:37 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Tone wrote:do it all the time, some times it is more sketchy than others.
Do what ?
The title of the thread, Launch and land friends kite while flying my own.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:35 pm

Tone wrote:
Peter_Frank wrote:
Do what ?
But the title of this thread is holding your friends kite in the CL with your own kite in the air - so I was in doubt if that was what you meant - or you were answering the former post from Ned about throwing the QR if noone else around to assist :-?

Or you meant holding the others kite in hand ?

:D Peter

poools81
Frequent Poster
Gear: ozone 13m and 9m

Postby poools81 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:18 pm

Use a 4 foot long epoxy coated tree stake at my location, (after watching a fail of a small foot long stake which was specifically sold for kiteboarding). Attach bar and lines to stake pick kite up and get it to edge of window hand the leading edge to my buddy who is flying his kite already if something happens he can let go of my kite cause its not ripping this stake out of the ground........

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:23 pm

poools81 wrote:Use a 4 foot long epoxy coated tree stake at my location, (after watching a fail of a small foot long stake which was specifically sold for kiteboarding). Attach bar and lines to stake pick kite up and get it to edge of window hand the leading edge to my buddy who is flying his kite already if something happens he can let go of my kite cause its not ripping this stake out of the ground........
This is maybe the most safe way of all, yes.
Kind of a double safety :naughty:

As your buddy just has to support the kite so it does not move, and thats it :thumb:

:D Peter

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tone » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:48 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Peter_Frank wrote:
Do what ?
But the title of this thread is holding your friends kite in the CL with your own kite in the air - so I was in doubt if that was what you meant - or you were answering the former post from Ned about throwing the QR if noone else around to assist :-?

Or you meant holding the others kite in hand ?

:D Peter[/quote]

"Help a mate launch or land, with your kite in the air"

I answered that, I would never hold onto a QR while they launch the kite, I would rather launch the kite for them with my kite in the air.

JGTR
Very Frequent Poster

Postby JGTR » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:58 pm

All methods work great, just pick whatever is suitable/easiest, happy days

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:26 pm

Ned Divine wrote: ...
you can act as a fixed point holding on to his chicken loop with one hand while controlling your kite with the other hand. It is much easier than trying to hold his kite. Obviously I would not recommend it for very strong winds
I've done just the opposite of that in medium but gusty winds , where/when
i have trouble launching on a fixed point because the dam kite won't stay still
long enough for me to run back to the anchor point.
SO
I use a fixed point anchor on the CL and lift my own kite & find neutral. Then
get Santiago to hold my kite still while he's flying his own kite and i'm running
back to hook in at the anchor point. Even a beach-goer can easily hold the kite while
it's anchored and already at neutral.

Bille

Return to “Kitesurfing”